Apple investors should cash in on US-China trade war, says Merrill Lynch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

Should I buy a new iPhone now, before prices are hiked?
    Or you can buy in August when the prices go back down. 
  • Reply 22 of 28
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    flydog said:

sirozha said:
    Automation would create fewer jobs in the US? You mean fewer than 0? Would it be better to create high-paying jobs at automated assembly plants in the US or low-paying manual assembly jobs in Vietnam?
    Automation can’t replace all human labor so the discussion is purely academic. iPhone production already utilizes about as much automation as is possible. 
    How would you know that?
    sarthos
  • Reply 23 of 28
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Basing your investment strategies on Government policies is a dangerous game.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Apple cares about their customers so prices will not be hiked.

/s
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Damage to China’s economy will be massive unless they step up and start making drastic changes. I’m all in favor of free trade, but that’s not what they engage in.
    You mean damage to the US economy will be massive? Really don't think China cares how much Apple makes or loses selling iPhones or how much they charge.

Sadly, I think this is beyond Trump's intellectual ability.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    CarnageCarnage Posts: 91member
    lkrupp said:
    This is all temporary. Either China or the U.S. will blink. My money is on the U.S. blinking because of public pressure. The U.S. public doesn't want the price of their trinkets going up. Meanwhile the Chinese totalitarian government doesn't have to respond to public pressure. In fact public pressure in China is forbidden and punishable by death.

And that's the biggest Problem. Sadly the media is doing a really bad Job at educating the masses about what it's really at stake and why. Partizanship over reason.

I'm not a fan of Trump but this is the one thing I think he should keep fighting for. Maybe it would have been wiser to have other western countries on board instead of fighting on so much fronts (there is also a small tariff war with Germany).

• Reply 27 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Carnage said:Maybe it would have been wiser to have other western countries on board instead of fighting on so much fronts
    We are willing to do whatever it takes.

A wise man once said:

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
  • Reply 28 of 28
    maestro64 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Should I buy a new iPhone now, before prices are hiked?
    This is all temporary. Either China or the U.S. will blink. My money is on the U.S. blinking because of public pressure. The U.S. public doesn't want the price of their trinkets going up. Meanwhile the Chinese totalitarian government doesn't have to respond to public pressure. In fact public pressure in China is forbidden and punishable by death.
    Yeah someone will blink, the problem is the US media is already blinking, they are predicting doom and gloom for everyone they are already trying to scare everyone. The media should be supporting the US and telling people it may hurt but it's going to good for everyone. 
    No, the media should be reporting facts, and letting the facts support who they support.  So that people can make intelligent decisions that might actually help solve the problems instead of highly charged emotional ones that make it worse.

I guess that's too much to hope for though, given the state of alleged "journalism" these days.
    sarthos