Satechi's M1 Wireless Mouse recharges over USB Type-C

Posted:
in General Discussion
Accessory producer Satechi has introduced the M1 Wireless Mouse, a Mac-compatible Bluetooth-based peripheral that uses a USB-C port for recharging, rather than relying on the more established but older microUSB or using replaceable batteries.

Produced with a brushed aluminum body, the M1 Wireless Mouse has an ambidextrous design that weighs 6.2 ounces. Measuring 4.37 inches long, 2.25 inches wide and 1.25 inches tall, the mouse has soft touch navigation buttons and a texture on the aluminum scroll wheel, while the base has a power switch and a button for pairing.

The main feature is its use of a USB Type-C port for recharging, which is placed at the front edge of the mouse's body, allowing it to be used while being recharged, unlike Apple's Magic Mouse. The manufacturer also supplies a Type-C to Type-A cable for recharging the peripheral.

While USB-C is slowly growing in terms of product share, there is still some way to go before it can be considered widely adopted. While Type-C connections are in use in MacBooks, in part due to it being employed for Thunderbolt 3, the rest of the market has yet to jump on the same bandwagon.

Connecting over Bluetooth 4.0, the mouse is said to have a range of up to 32 feet from its host device.

Satechi has started shipping the M1 Bluetooth Wireless Mouse, priced at $30, with it available in space gray, silver, gold, and rose gold color options.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    I’m more of a trackpad guy, but the sooner microUSB dies the happier I’ll be.
    chiarwespscooter63StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 2 of 19
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Isn't a mouse a perfect candidate for a wirelessly charged device? And isn't a mouse pad a perfect location to hide a wireless charger? I just googled it, indeed such devices exist. I guess I can't invent it now.
    chia
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh look, the designers knew where the *right* place is to put a USB socket on a mouse...
    MplsPbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:
    Oh look, the designers knew where the *right* place is to put a USB socket on a mouse...
    Absolutely. The Magic Mouse is a pain in the rear to charge and can’t be used while charging either.
    MplsPdysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    Absolutely. The Magic Mouse is a pain in the rear to charge and can’t be used while charging either.
    But...But... having a port in the front of the mouse ruins the wonderful aesthetics! Besides, it can quick charge in 5 minutes. having to interrupt your work for 5 minutes is a small price to pay for aesthetics, don't you think?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    But...But... having a port in the front of the mouse ruins the wonderful aesthetics! Besides, it can quick charge in 5 minutes. having to interrupt your work for 5 minutes is a small price to pay for aesthetics, don't you think?
    Actually I keep an old, standard (AA) battery operated Magic Mouse in the drawer for such occasions so less than one minute of interruption. But still.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    Non-issue. Every month or so it sends me a notification and I can plug it in for two minutes for a day of use, and then leave it plugged it when done to recharge for the month. It’s a really a complete non-issue to anyone but the OCD forum goers, eager to point out how wrong Apple is and what better designers they are...in their minds. 

Yawn. 
  • Reply 8 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    Incorrect. It’s not about the aesthetics, it’s that the entire top/front is a touch surface, which is awesome. 

And its 2 minutes to quick charge, not 5. Two minutes is the time it takes to pee, or walk to get water or coffee. If you don’t have time to do that once a month then holy cow you are the most productive person on earth. 
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 9 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    Non-issue. Every month or so it sends me a notification and I can plug it in for two minutes for a day of use, and then leave it plugged it when done to recharge for the month. It’s a really a complete non-issue to anyone but the OCD forum goers, eager to point out how wrong Apple is and what better designers they are...in their minds. 

Yawn. 
    No, it's a non-issue with the Satechi wireless mouse discussed here. And, as you can see from the picture above, it is trivial to add a jack at the front edge of the mouse without interfering with the surface. Needlessly affecting functionality is inexcusable. Your explanations are nothing but excuses for poor design repeated by apple apologists.
    beowulfschmidtdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Isn't a mouse a perfect candidate for a wirelessly charged device? And isn't a mouse pad a perfect location to hide a wireless charger? I just googled it, indeed such devices exist. I guess I can't invent it now.
    yah, you can get a Qi battery for your Magic Mouse, dunno if they're any good. https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/technology/computers/the-magic-charger-wireless-charger-for-magic-mouse/

I was looking forward to AirPower Everything for Apple accessories, guess that's a ways off again
  • Reply 11 of 19
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

MplsP said:

Two minutes is the time it takes to pee, 
    Go see a doctor. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:

Yawn. 
    No, it's a non-issue with the Satechi wireless mouse discussed here. And, as you can see from the picture above, it is trivial to add a jack at the front edge of the mouse without interfering with the surface. Needlessly affecting functionality is inexcusable. Your explanations are nothing but excuses for poor design repeated by apple apologists.
    It doesn't affect functionality if used normally. No user should ever need to do anything other than plug the mouse in once every month or two when they walk away for the evening. It's absolutely a non-issue, blown up by people making up fake use cases in which users completely neglect to take care of their devices in the correct way, and literally does not affect the usage by normal everyday users.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Man the mouse look like the 90's. Awful design.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 14 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Man the mouse look like the 90's. Awful design.
    The gray/black one looks better.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wireless desktop peripherals are stationary computers are totally overrated. I moved back to a wired mouse a year ago and never looked back. Will move back to wired keyboard at some point. Not needing to ever recharge wins every time. Same goes for wired headphones, for me. Much cheaper and unlimited battery life!
    edited May 2019 dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 19
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Isn't a mouse a perfect candidate for a wirelessly charged device? And isn't a mouse pad a perfect location to hide a wireless charger? 
    Only for people who use mouse pads.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So I have to pack a mouse pad in my laptop bag and plug that into my MacBook Pro instead?

Seems like a terrible idea to me, and even on a desktop needlessly wasteful.
  • Reply 18 of 19

lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:

Yawn. 
    You’re confusing a small issue for a non-issue.  Two minutes at the wrong time can be a real pain in the backside, and being able to plug in and continue using the mouse is great.  I’ve had to do it in the middle of meetings on more than one occasion, and greatly appreciated the ability.

I’d never buy a Magic Mouse, and this is one of the reasons why.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 19
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:
    I don’t know about you guys, but I see the front side of my mouse about as often as I see the underside of it.  The aesthetics of a side that you don’t see aren’t of massive value.
    dysamoria