OWC launches Aura N internal upgrade SSDs for Macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited May 2019
Storage and peripheral maker OWC on Tuesday introduced a new Aura N line of internal SSDs, meant specifically for upgrading compatible Macs.

OWC Aura N

The drives use twin PCIe 3.1 connections, and have write speeds up to 1.1 gigabytes per second. Reads peak at 1.6 gigabytes per second.

Capacities, meanwhile, range up to 1 terabyte. OWC is also promising less heat and power consumption than previous Aura models.

A variety of order options are available depending on the exact Mac a person has. An upgrade kit for 2013-2015 Retina MacBook Pros and 2013-2017 MacBook Airs costs $164.99 for 240 gigabytes, $229.99 for 480 gigabytes, and $299.99 for 1 terabyte. Equivalent prices for a Mac mini kit are $134.99, $179.99, and $259.99.

If they have the necessary equipment, people can alternatively buy drives on their own at costs of $97.99, $159.99 and $229.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Before buying one for my 2014 MBA I requested someone do a real world test with a similar computer using one of these drives, and they noticed a negligible improvement in speeds over the built in Apple drives. Be sure to know how your specific machine performs before wasting your money on this.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apple SSDs are said to have a speed advantage (I forget why) but that's not the only reason to get these.

There are a lot of legacy MacBook Air owners who have the base 128GB model, and I'm not sure 1TB was ever even an option (it isn't now.)

Paying $300. to upgrade to 1TB aftermarket doesn't sound so bad. (Apple charges an extra $400. to move a new legacy MBA to 512GB.)
    edited May 2019 toysandmechia
  • Reply 3 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    ireland said:
    Before buying one for my 2014 MBA I requested someone do a real world test with a similar computer using one of these drives, and they noticed a negligible improvement in speeds over the built in Apple drives. Be sure to know how your specific machine performs before wasting your money on this.
    They’re for increasing storage, not performance. 
    toysandmechia
  • Reply 4 of 10
    This thread is probably a good read for anyone who is interested in replacing their SSD: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

I paid ~120€ for an Intel® 660p 1 TB, and 15€ for the converter. The tools I already had. I have read/write speeds at approx 1300MB/s.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Wouldn't mind an AI review of these. Skipping out this chassis generation on my 2014 15" here, and could go for a storage bump. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    This thread is probably a good read for anyone who is interested in replacing their SSD: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

I paid ~120€ for an Intel® 660p 1 TB, and 15€ for the converter. The tools I already had. I have read/write speeds at approx 1300MB/s.
    I've read if you use one of those converters you don't get proper SSD sleep support? 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    Can someone tell me the difference regarding the OWC Aura Pro X2 480 GB (other than the Pro being much faster and slightly more expensive)?
    I am interested in putting it into my late 2013 13" MBP.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tipoo said:

I've read if you use one of those converters you don't get proper SSD sleep support? 
    You are correct. And, the cheap bridge board is one more thing to fail in the process. 

Source: we bought a few of the adapters to see if it was worth it from a cost to hassle perspective. It isn't.
    edited May 2019 chia
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    frank777 said:
    Apple SSDs are said to have a speed advantage (I forget why) but that's not the only reason to get these.
    They have a speed advantage at time of launch, but down the road other vendors like OWC catch up or surpass. It makes perfect sense for a 2019 3rd-party to outpace a 2015 Apple, regardless of how good it was at the time.

I've been very, very happy with all OWC gear I've purchased over the years.
    tipoo
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member

Can someone tell me the difference regarding the OWC Aura Pro X2 480 GB (other than the Pro being much faster and slightly more expensive)?
    I am interested in putting it into my late 2013 13" MBP.
    It's faster and slightly more expensive.

IMO you're not going to notice the difference unless you're doing the kind of work where a 2013 CPU and GPU is going to be inadequate in the first place.
    wonkothesanefastasleep