Evolve launches its first iPhone-connected skateboards with new GTR series

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
Australian e-skate maker Evolve opened up preorders for its new GTR boards on Wednesday, its first to offer an iPhone app.

Evolve Bamboo GTR

The GTR series is divided into Bamboo and Carbon models. The former's deck uses a mix of bamboo and fiberglass, giving it better flexibility for carving and comfort. The Carbon deck is made entirely of carbon fiber, making it roughly the same weight, but with extra stability at speed. On either buyers can opt for conventional "street" wheels or 7-inch all-terrain tires, and swap between them with tools.

Using street wheels the GTR boards have an estimated 26mph top speed, a range of 31 miles, and the ability to climb hills up to a 30 percent gradient. AT tires lower those figures to 22mph, 19 miles, and 25 percent respectively, but with the benefit of a safer board that can cross cracks, potholes, grass, dirt, and gravel.

Evolve Bamboo GTR

In many respects the GTR line is meant to fix weak points in Evolve's prior boards. An upgraded remote offers a faster, more reliable connection via Bluetooth, and a new bendable battery pack does away with problems like voltage sag. Housing is designed to offer better water resistance, and trucks are made of forged rather than cast metal. Acceleration and braking is smoother.

Though it has yet to launch, Evolve is also putting out an app for iPhone and Android which will let people track their rides, follow others on leaderboards, and tailor a custom ride setting on the remote on top of Eco, Pro, and GTR.

Another high-tech feature is the presence of two rear-facing USB ports, which will be able to power accessories.

Evolve Carbon GTR

Deliveries begin in June. Prices vary depending on the choice of board and wheels, but start at $1,899.99 for a Bamboo GTR with street or AT wheels and range up to $2,149.99 for a Bamboo or Carbon GTR with both sets of wheels included.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Or, you can buy a car. 
    chasm
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Or, you could not buy a car.
    Roger_FingascoolfactorLordeHawk
  • Reply 3 of 9
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    Or, you could buy a bike that has a rechargeable lithium ion battery and provides 3 levels of pedal assist power, to go along with the disk brake system. Or save to buy an iCar in about 5 years.
    chasm
  • Reply 4 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Street use, sure.  But I am totally NOT going to take one of those down a unpaved path in the woods.  Only those with suicidal tendencies need apply.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 9
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    $2000 for a skateboard. The day has come.

chasmdysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    USA importer must be putting mark up on those puppies.

Still one off purchase, no registration fees each year, no car service or fuel and unlike a bike you can still get on public transport for longer trips. 
    Really suits Melbourne other Australian Capitals.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    I have the previous Bamboo model.  It is a tremendous machine and lived up to the specs of the time.
    The water resistance leaves a little to be desired though, so I'm glad they have put some work into this.

They already have an app and have for some time which can track rides using GPS.  It works in a very similar fashion to the Fitbit app when tracking a run.

The biggest improvement I can see in these models is the range.  The previous Bamboo only had a range of 35 km, the new ones can go to 50 km, apparently.  The new top speed of 42 kph (up from 35) looks impressive, however why any sane person would go that speed on a skateboard I cannot imagine.
    Also, as the article said the remote is now using BT.  Previously it was IR which could be a bit spotty sometimes.

The previous posters were talking about buying a car instead - these boards aren't competing with your dollars for cars.  They are competing with the rest of the 'micro mobility' sector which includes their great competitors Boosted and of course all the 101 different electric scooters on the market, along with the hire companies like Lime etc.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 8 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    I understand what these are, where they’d be a good fit, and why they’re not the same as cars, but ... waaaay too much money IMO.
    dysamorialostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    lostkiwi said:
    The new top speed of 42 kph (up from 35) looks impressive, however why any sane person would go that speed on a skateboard I cannot imagine.

Yea that’s a little on the fast side for a daily urban commute, but cool that it’s available if desired.  Back in the day I used to inline skate down the winding Oakland hills of the Bay Area with no brakes whatsoever.  Once I started down the steep incline I was committed.  Pity I didn’t have an Apple Watch to monitor performance and speed back then.

lostkiwi