Huawei faces dual US bans, Dutch accusations of carrier backdoor

Posted:
in General Discussion
The U.S. government has leveled a dual blow against China's Huawei, both blocking it from acquiring American technology and preventing American telecoms firms from using Huawei equipment.

Huawei

For the latter President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Wednesday, invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and banning U.S. businesses from using telecoms equipment from firms considered a national security risk, Reuters reported. An enforcement plan is due by October.

Though that order didn't name Huawei specifically, the Commerce Department subsequently added Huawei and 70 affiliates to its "Entity List," stopping it from buying components from U.S. corporations. That should take effect in the next several days, and U.S. officials said they believe it will make it hard or impossible for Huawei to sell some products because of its use of American suppliers.

Those suppliers can apply for licenses, but will have to prove that there's no national security risk. In 2018, government agencies were barred from buying Huawei and ZTE products.

In January the U.S. unsealed a 13-count indict against Huawei, accusing it and CFO Meng Wanzhou of defrauding financial firms by lying about its relationship with an alleged front business operating in Iran. Meng was arrested in Canada a month earlier on a U.S. warrant, but is still battling extradition.

On Thursday, Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant cited intelligence sources as saying that Huawei had created a backdoor on the network of an unnamed telecoms firm, and that intelligence agency AIVD was investigating whether the vulnerability had enabled spying by the Chinese government.

Huawei has denied any wrongdoing, saying it "keeps the door closed to governments or others who want to use our network for activities that would threaten cyber security." The firm is believed to have ties to the Chinese government, which has fueled worries in the U.S. and elsewhere about involvement in building 5G networks. The U.S. has pressured allies to adopt a similar stance.

Dutch telecoms company KPN recently said it would keep Huawei gear away from the "core" of its mobile network, but still use Huawei radio towers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Banning Huawei selling equipment in USA is one thing but importantly rest of world must ban otherwise it effects everyone. A person calling or sending data on USA network which goes through internet than on some countries internal network which was provided by Huawei with backdoor so at the end you still sending your information to China.
    edited May 2019 DVL59racerhomie3chaickawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 43
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    China sells low-priced telecom equipment for a reason - so they can monitor and steal everything that passes through. 
    DVL59shrave10racerhomie3magman1979anantksundaramwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    wood1208 said:
    Banning Huawei selling equipment in USA is one thing but importantly rest of world must ban otherwise it effects everyone. A person calling or sending data on USA network which goes through internet than on some countries internal network which was provided by Huawei with backdoor so at the end you still sending your information to China.
    That is why the whole thing is absurd from a security perspective. Huawei is everywhere and I mean eveywhere in the communications chain. The US would have to homebrew it's own parallel communications system, put itself firmly within its own bubble of paranoia and cut itself off from the outside world. But even then, it would be literally powerless to stop the network from being compromised in some way. Why would Huawei even need to place backdoors for illicit means if governments are poring over systems trying to find a way in. Remind me how many critical holes Cisco has plugged just this year.

This latest action is protectionism, just like it was from the start. If we want to talk government (not private companies) then by all means throw the FBI, NSA, CIA and other agencies into the soup and see who has more tentacles in more pies.

Ironically this kind of protectionism sometimes backfires. When the US banned intel from selling Xeons to China for use in HPC, not only did intel see revenues drop by 1 billion dollars (IIRC) and ended up laying off 12,000 workers, but the Chinese simply cooked up their own solution and jumped straight to the top of supercomputing charts.

Now Donald Trump has raised eyebrows around the world by upping the stakes both with Iran and China at the same time and voices are claiming he has lost control.

On top of that, China will obviously not take nicely to having a company considered the national pride be attacked without evidence. Whatever comes next Donald Trump will only have himself to blame.

As for Apple, if November and December were bad months in China for sales, I shudder to think what the anti US backlash will be to this in terms of iPhone sales in China over the next few months.

edited May 2019 macplusplus1983
  • Reply 4 of 43
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    But, but they said they'd never spy on anyone...
    shrave10anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    gutengel said:
    But, but they said they'd never spy on anyone...
    I saw this on TV:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    DVL59DVL59 Posts: 2member
    Fatman said:
    China sells low-priced telecom equipment for a reason - so they can monitor and steal everything that passes through. 
    Similar to ol Zuckerberg huh?  Scumbag gives you something “free”.  Neither the Chinese gov’t nor Zuckerberg care about Americans.  They have their motives and hopefully they’re as transparent to all of you as they are to me.  If you’re ok with personal data theft and further commoditization of said data, then by all means go right ahead and give Z-berg whatever he wants.  But as for this gov’t controlling the bulk of the Asian continent as well as  the south China Sea (and their slimy gov’t-run businesses buying their way into America and our tech/IP-> which is actually LEGAL in our country as Chinese gov’t run businesses buy up businesses and their technology here in USA) we cannot continue to burry our heads in the sand.  I’m so thankful our country is starting to lay the proverbial “wood” on this Chinese gov’t and entities who have so unfairly taken advantage of America and our good will/intentions.
    I want growth and prosperity for the world NO DOUBT!  However, I want the rest of the world to earn that prosperity... not continually ‘bend over’ the average American tax payer
    Say what u want and respond however you’d like.  You will not change me so spare me your childish and uninformed arguments.  I am out!
    monstrosityJanNLmwhiteLordeHawkwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    DVL59DVL59 Posts: 2member
    Fatman is spot ON!!! Said much more simply than I ever could.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:
    That is why the whole thing is absurd from a security perspective. Huawei is everywhere and I mean eveywhere in the communications chain. The US would have to homebrew it's own parallel communications system, put itself firmly within its own bubble of paranoia and cut itself off from the outside world. But even then, it would be literally powerless to stop the network from being compromised in some way. Why would Huawei even need to place backdoors for illicit means if governments are poring over systems trying to find a way in. Remind me how many critical holes Cisco has plugged just this year.

This latest action is protectionism, just like it was from the start. If we want to talk government (not private companies) then by all means throw the FBI, NSA, CIA and other agencies into the soup and see who has more tentacles in more pies.

Ironically this kind of protectionism sometimes backfires. When the US banned intel from selling Xeons to China for use in HPC, not only did intel see revenues drop by 1 billion dollars (IIRC) and ended up laying off 12,000 workers, but the Chinese simply cooked up their own solution and jumped straight to the top of supercomputing charts.

Now Donal Trump has raised eyebrows around the world by upping the stakes both with Iran and China at the same time and voices are claiming he has lost control.

On top of that, China will obviously not take nicely to having a company considered the national pride be attacked without evidence. Whatever comes next Donald Trump will only have himself to blame.

As for Apple, if November and December were bad months in China for sales, I shudder to think what the anti US backlash will be to this in terms of iPhone sales in China over the next few months.

12. Cisco patched 12.

and apparently Huawei said they’re keeping that door closed so I guess it’s there, just closed. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    kruegdude said:
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Now Donal Trump has raised eyebrows around the world by upping the stakes both with Iran and China at the same time and voices are claiming he has lost control.

12. Cisco patched 12.

and apparently Huawei said they’re keeping that door closed so I guess it’s there, just closed. 
    This might have been one of them:

https://www.wired.com/story/cisco-router-bug-secure-boot-trust-anchor/
  • Reply 10 of 43
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    and so started the new Cold War.
    Next...? A global recession leading to depression. This may well be followed by China calling in all its notes (iou's) that they hold on nations all over the world.
    Better start learning mandarin people. The Chinese Empire is just waiting to strike.
    magman1979jdb8167cornchipwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 43
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Huawei is banned because it violated IEEPA thus is considered a national security risk. Do you see the logic here? No, you need to actually understand what is IEEPA. It is a law sanctioning Iran. Now you think you understand the logic. No, you don't. The law is enacted because Iran supports PLA. What is PLA? It is a Palestinian organization against Israeli government. US lawmakers declared PLA a terrorist organization, Now you think you understand the logic. No, you don't. The fundamental reason PLA is declared a terrorist organization because many US lawmakers are Jewish Americans. 
    Now you will say I am over stretching logic. I am not. China did something to Uiguers in Xinjiang, The Vice President and Secretary of State accuse China of human right violation. Why China did this? Because some Uiguers launched a series violent acts. You may argue that China is wrong because it is suppressing Uiguers liberty. So I bring back your attention to Israel. In the past Palestinians have launched a series attacks on Israel. In order to solve the problem Israel separated Palestinians into a region called Gaza. Is it suppressing Palestinians liberty? Now please tell me it is not. 
  • Reply 12 of 43
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Meanwhile Theresa 'the traitor' May gives the go-ahead to Huawei in the UK. 
    seanjAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 43
    tzeshan said:
    Huawei is banned because it violated IEEPA thus is considered a national security risk. Do you see the logic here? No, you need to actually understand what is IEEPA. It is a law sanctioning Iran. Now you think you understand the logic. No, you don't. The law is enacted because Iran supports PLA. What is PLA? It is a Palestinian organization against Israeli government. US lawmakers declared PLA a terrorist organization, Now you think you understand the logic. No, you don't. The fundamental reason PLA is declared a terrorist organization because many US lawmakers are Jewish Americans. 
    Now you will say I am over stretching logic. I am not. China did something to Uiguers in Xinjiang, The Vice President and Secretary of State accuse China of human right violation. Why China did this? Because some Uiguers launched a series violent acts. You may argue that China is wrong because it is suppressing Uiguers liberty. So I bring back your attention to Israel. In the past Palestinians have launched a series attacks on Israel. In order to solve the problem Israel separated Palestinians into a region called Gaza. Is it suppressing Palestinians liberty? Now please tell me it is not. 
    All I have seen is that there is an accusation of violation. Where did you see it confirmed and why wasn't Huawei banned years ago as a result?

Many US companies have also violated sanctions but only received fines in return.

Sanctions are not absolute either. Some ICT gear is perfectly sellable in Iran.

And the rest of the world is pretty much against those sanctions anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:
    All I have seen is that there is an accusation of violation. Where did you see it confirmed and why wasn't Huawei banned years ago as a result?

Many US companies have also violated sanctions but only received fines in return.

Sanctions are not absolute either. Some ICT gear is perfectly sellable in Iran.

And the rest of the world is pretty much against those sanctions anyway.
    Read the text of presidential order yesterday. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    tzeshan said:
    I notice that you didn’t talk about Thibet. Please stop defending this aweful communist country (they even killed their own people all those years ago so why defending them? Think these communist leaders will care for YOU?) that think theyre so big and can do what they please.. (for example to those 2 Canadian guys). 
    edited May 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43
    matrix077 said:
    tzeshan said:
    I notice that you didn’t talk about Thibet. Please stop defending this aweful communist country (they even killed their own people all those years ago so why defending them? Think these communist leaders will care for YOU?) that think theyre so big and can do what they please.. (for example to those 2 Canadian guys). 
    I did not mention Tibet because it is not related like Israel is. Regarding Tibetan history, western supporters of Tibetans probably don't really know the history of what westerners did to Tibetans. We are lucky to have Wikipedia.com. 

In 1903, Curzon appointed Younghusband head of the Tibet Frontier Commission with John Claude White, political officer of Sikkim, and E. C. Wilton as deputy commissioners.[13] He subsequently led the 1903-04 British expedition to Tibet, whose putative aim was to settle disputes over the Sikkim-Tibet border, but by exceeding instructions from London, the expedition controversially became a de facto invasion of Tibet.[14]

About 100 miles (160 km) inside Tibet, on the way to Gyantse, thence to the capital of Lhasa, a confrontation outside the hamlet of Guru led to a victory by the expedition over 600-700 Tibetan militia, largely monks.[15] Some estimates of Tibetan casualties are far higher; inciting other conflicts,[16] Younghusband's well-trained troops were armed with rifles and machine guns, confronting disorganized monks wielding hoes, swords, and flintlocks. Some accounts estimated that more than 5,000 Tibetans were killed during the campaign, while the total number of British casualties was about five.

The British force was supported by King Ugyen Wangchuck of Bhutan, who was knighted in return for his services. The incident, portrayed by Chinese sources as a "massacre", embarrassed the British Government, which desired good relations with China for the sake of the coastal Chinese trade. Accordingly, the British repudiated the treaty known as the Treaty of Lhasa that Younghusband's services had obtained.

In 1891, Younghusband received the Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire, which was upgraded to Knight Commander in 1904;[1] and in 1917, he was awarded the honour of Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India. He was also awarded the Kaisar-I-Hind Medal (gold) in 1901[1] and the Gold Medal of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society in 1905.[17]

In 1906, Younghusband settled in Kashmir as the British representative before returning[when?] to Britain, where he was an active member of many clubs and societies. In 1908, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel. During the First World War, his patriotic Fight for Right campaign commissioned the song "Jerusalem".

Younghusband was elected President of the Royal Geographical Society in 1919, and two years later became Chairman of the Mount Everest Committee which was set up to coordinate the initial 1921 British Reconnaissance Expedition to Mount Everest.[18] He actively encouraged the accomplished climber George Mallory to attempt the first ascent of Mount Everest, and they followed the same initial route as the earlier Tibet Mission. Younghusband remained Chairman through the subsequent 1922 and 1924 British Expeditions.

In 1938 Younghusband encouraged Ernst Schäfer, who was about to lead a German expedition to "sneak over the border" when faced with British intransigence towards Schäfer's efforts to reach Tibet.[19] 
  • Reply 17 of 43
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    tzeshan said:
    matrix077 said:
    tzeshan said:
    I did not mention Tibet because it is not related like Israel is. Regarding Tibetan history, western supporters of Tibetans probably don't really know the history of what westerners did to Tibetans. We are lucky to have Wikipedia.com. 

In 1903, Curzon appointed Younghusband head of the Tibet Frontier Commission with John Claude White, political officer of Sikkim, and E. C. Wilton as deputy commissioners.[13] He subsequently led the 1903-04 British expedition to Tibet, whose putative aim was to settle disputes over the Sikkim-Tibet border, but by exceeding instructions from London, the expedition controversially became a de facto invasion of Tibet.[14]

About 100 miles (160 km) inside Tibet, on the way to Gyantse, thence to the capital of Lhasa, a confrontation outside the hamlet of Guru led to a victory by the expedition over 600-700 Tibetan militia, largely monks.[15] Some estimates of Tibetan casualties are far higher; inciting other conflicts,[16] Younghusband's well-trained troops were armed with rifles and machine guns, confronting disorganized monks wielding hoes, swords, and flintlocks. Some accounts estimated that more than 5,000 Tibetans were killed during the campaign, while the total number of British casualties was about five.

The British force was supported by King Ugyen Wangchuck of Bhutan, who was knighted in return for his services. The incident, portrayed by Chinese sources as a "massacre", embarrassed the British Government, which desired good relations with China for the sake of the coastal Chinese trade. Accordingly, the British repudiated the treaty known as the Treaty of Lhasa that Younghusband's services had obtained.

In 1891, Younghusband received the Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire, which was upgraded to Knight Commander in 1904;[1] and in 1917, he was awarded the honour of Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India. He was also awarded the Kaisar-I-Hind Medal (gold) in 1901[1] and the Gold Medal of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society in 1905.[17]

In 1906, Younghusband settled in Kashmir as the British representative before returning[when?] to Britain, where he was an active member of many clubs and societies. In 1908, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel. During the First World War, his patriotic Fight for Right campaign commissioned the song "Jerusalem".

Younghusband was elected President of the Royal Geographical Society in 1919, and two years later became Chairman of the Mount Everest Committee which was set up to coordinate the initial 1921 British Reconnaissance Expedition to Mount Everest.[18] He actively encouraged the accomplished climber George Mallory to attempt the first ascent of Mount Everest, and they followed the same initial route as the earlier Tibet Mission. Younghusband remained Chairman through the subsequent 1922 and 1924 British Expeditions.

In 1938 Younghusband encouraged Ernst Schäfer, who was about to lead a German expedition to "sneak over the border" when faced with British intransigence towards Schäfer's efforts to reach Tibet.[19] 
    Doh.. last time I check Tibet still was a country before China invaded. 
    Are you arguing China is right to, and are proud that they, behave like a colonialist?

Why are you defending communist China? Are you a Chinese?
    Even if you are, your government won’t bat an eye to kill you like they killed your fellow countrymen at Tienanmen, so why defending them?
    edited May 2019 StrangeDaysmagman1979tmaycornchipdanhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    landnsealandnsea Posts: 17member
    tzeshan said:

If no one else is going to remark on the anti-Semitism of the comment "The fundamental reason PLA is declared a terrorist organization [is] because many US lawmakers are Jewish Americans," I will. There are a host of reasons why the US government acts as it does in responding to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and most of these reasons, in my opinion, are self-interested and unjust. But to say that the US does what it does in that arena simply "because" some lawmakers are Jewish is a bigoted fallacy.

edited May 2019 StrangeDaystmaytokyojimuLordeHawkanantksundaramcornchipwilliamlondondanhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    avon b7 said:
    wood1208 said:

Now Donald Trump has raised eyebrows around the world by upping the stakes both with Iran and China at the same time and voices are claiming he has lost control.

Hey there 50 cent army.Nice to see you here .
    StrangeDaysmagman1979anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    The 50 cent army is out here in full force!
    magman1979anantksundaramwatto_cobra