The TextBlade keyboard is superb, but you'll have to be patient

Comments

• Reply 901 of 1615
    dabigkahunadabigkahuna Posts: 465member
     Let us change the font size when looking at App Store items. That is, let you enlarge (or shrink) them just like you can do with pretty much any browser. Considering how small their default font is, this is even more important. I end up having to zoom in and scroll around to read the page! That's ridiculous.
    Hi DBK,

On iOS, you can go to General, then Display and Brightness, then Text Size, and if you increase that, it will increase the size of the text everywhere, including the App Store. 

On a Mac, you can go to System Preferences, then Displays, then choose a lower resolution, which will increase the text size. You can then change the resolution back to normal once you have found and installed your apps. 

I wholeheartedly agree that a simple font resizing button or buttons would be quicker and easier, but you can always use this when going through the App Store to increase the font size rather than zooming the entire screen larger or smaller. 

It may not be a perfect solution - indeed, it is a hassle, but it's a workaround - and you won't need to join the TREG secret society to take advantage of it :-)
    I’m not sure, but I think I’ve done the iOS thing before but wasn’t satisfied for some reason so went back to defaults - maybe it affected some other app in a way I didn’t like? Anyway, I’ve enlarged it again and I’ll just have to wait and see if it is an issue elsewhere. Of course, ideally, like with some browsers, I’d like to set text sizes by app rather than all. At least for fine running.

On the Mac is my biggest problem since that’s where I use the store the most and would want it to work just like a webpage. Really don’t like the hassle of changing resolutions.

Thanks for the help though. Might at least be a solution for iOS.
  • Reply 902 of 1615
    alexonline said: 

> If GR is achieved, DBK's defense of TB will end.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Because I expect some of the more extreme critics who, even after they get the TB, to spend their time finding anything to criticize and exaggerate. Would love to be wrong though.

> If GR is never achieved because WT goes bankrupt, well, he'll be just as TB-less as you or I, but it will be far worse for him because he will have spent the last four years with a TB

I wouldn’t say “worse” - that would be kinda presumptuous. But most people don’t realize the hassle of having to switch back along with the added frustration that for us it will be a huge step backwards compared to someone who never experienced it as their daily driver.

If the worst should happen and they don’t ship, I have no idea what may happen short term. Have to return our units? Have them shut off when the token runs out? Even if we keep them and, before they close up shop, they send us the unlimited token, that battery isn’t going to last forever. So, yeah, we have reason to be concerned too, no matter how likely the think ic is to ship, until it actually does ship.

> MK is the true big kahuna, unless of course we have been played by MK adopting two personas just for fun and to troll us all 

Interestingly, I was accused of that about as soon as I made my initial defense of WT. Even my name was claimed to be proof! Never mind that I’d been using that name for years and actually picked it up from a restaurant I really like - where I am eating at right now!
  • Reply 903 of 1615
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    alexonline said: 

> If GR is achieved, DBK's defense of TB will end.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Because I expect some of the more extreme critics who, even after they get the TB, to spend their time finding anything to criticize and exaggerate. Would love to be wrong though.

> If GR is never achieved because WT goes bankrupt, well, he'll be just as TB-less as you or I, but it will be far worse for him because he will have spent the last four years with a TB

I wouldn’t say “worse” - that would be kinda presumptuous. But most people don’t realize the hassle of having to switch back along with the added frustration that for us it will be a huge step backwards compared to someone who never experienced it as their daily driver.

If the worst should happen and they don’t ship, I have no idea what may happen short term. Have to return our units? Have them shut off when the token runs out? Even if we keep them and, before they close up shop, they send us the unlimited token, that battery isn’t going to last forever. So, yeah, we have reason to be concerned too, no matter how likely the think ic is to ship, until it actually does ship.

> MK is the true big kahuna, unless of course we have been played by MK adopting two personas just for fun and to troll us all 

Interestingly, I was accused of that about as soon as I made my initial defense of WT. Even my name was claimed to be proof! Never mind that I’d been using that name for years and actually picked it up from a restaurant I really like - where I am eating at right now!
    Well, by telling us the name of your favourite restaurant in Hawaii, the Oppo-PR forces will have already noted this, and sent their operatives to look for an older gentleman who frequents the place, uses an iPhone and has a tiny keyboard.

Watch out for jokes like “Is that a tiny keyboard in your pocket or are you happy to see me?”

You are sure to soon be in the hands of Oppo-PR ringleaders TBD and EP, who will be interrogating you about whether the TB really exists, what computer you used between 1979 and 1983, the version BASIC you programmed on and they will surely quiz your 40 year old machine language skills. 

A tear down of both your pre-release TextBlades will soon be on iFixit, your links to MK investigated by black ops people representing the FTC, and logs of everything you ever typed set to be released on Pastebin wrenched from the TB token that is MK’s secret blackmail keylogger backup plan. 

All because you let slip the name of your favourite restaurant! Loose lips type ships!!!!

It's even worse than MK’s private address exposed on NextEngine court documents!!

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I type fine...

+++

Try the /s almon, I’m here all tweak! :-)
  • Reply 904 of 1615
    alexonline said: 
    Well, by telling us the name of your favourite restaurant in Hawaii, the Oppo-PR forces will have already noted this, and sent their operatives to look for an older gentleman who frequents the place, uses an iPhone and has a tiny keyboard.

Could be, but I happen to know some things that make it a little more difficult than they may think. They almost certainly won't see me there using my TB - that is not common since I rarely type long missives while out.

You are sure to soon be in the hands of Oppo-PR ringleaders TBD and EP, who will be interrogating you about whether the TB really exists, what computer you used between 1979 and 1983, the version BASIC you programmed on and they will surely quiz your 40 year old machine language skills.

Wouldn't surprise me, though I would need something really substantial to say they are oppo-PR ringleaders.
  • Reply 905 of 1615
    alexonline said: 
    > Well, by telling us the name of your favourite restaurant in Hawaii, the Oppo-PR forces will have already noted this, and sent their operatives to look for an older gentleman who frequents the place, uses an iPhone and has a tiny keyboard.

Could be, but I happen to know some things that make it a little more difficult than they may think. They almost certainly won't see me there using my TB - that is not common since I rarely type long missives while out.

> You are sure to soon be in the hands of Oppo-PR ringleaders TBD and EP, who will be interrogating you about whether the TB really exists, what computer you used between 1979 and 1983, the version BASIC you programmed on and they will surely quiz your 40 year old machine language skills.

Wouldn't surprise me, though I would need something really substantial to say they are oppo-PR ringleaders.
    Well, I'm told they have your DOB, SSN, ice cream preferences, whether you really prefer Logitechs to TextBlades, that you prefer Star Trek to Star Wars, that your favourite color is indigo-blue, that you once typed 230 WPM in under 30 seconds (despite the impossibility of that), that you once beat Han Solo's 12 parsecs by doing it in 11, and that, most importantly (and the hugest secret), that you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really like typing. 

Or so I hear through the Oppo-PR grapevine...

+++

Try the /s ultanas, my date is raisin my rates so they only want me here for 3 days. 
  • Reply 906 of 1615
    whether you really prefer Logitechs to TextBlades, that you prefer Star Trek to Star Wars, that your favourite color is indigo-blue, that you once typed 230 WPM in under 30 seconds (despite the impossibility of that), that you once beat Han Solo's 12 parsecs by doing it in 11, and that, most importantly (and the hugest secret), that you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really like typing.  
    1. Definitely do NOT prefer Logitech to TextBlades. Not about problems with Logitechs. It's about how good the TB is.

2. Don't actually have a preference on Star Trek / Star Wars. It all depends on the specific movie. Loved the original Star Wars but also loved Star Trek II and IV. The others vary, but all fall below those 3 movies in both universes.

3. I really don't have a favorite color. Maybe because I'm partly color blind. But I do tend to like blue. But it is more about what it is with than the color by itself. But I'm still probably not seeing it like others.

4. Let's see, 230 wpm. I think the record is 216. But I really would like to see some top typist decide to try the TB (if they make any kind of profession with typing competitions, they may not want to abandon their muscle memory). Two reasons. One would be to see if the TB, when top people are really willing to push the limits, would let the record be broken. But it is also possible there is some limit to what the TB can handle - oh, nothing that even the typical very fast typist can manage. TB would be fine for those. But I suppose when pushing the highest limits it is possible the design has issues. I certainly don't see any reason for that, but it's one of those things that would actually have to be tested. I suppose a machine could be made to test it, but while the results would be interesting, it wouldn't be quite the same as a person - because a person is going to hit the same character slightly differently each time, especially with letters in different combinations. With multiple characters on one keycap, that good have issues. I wonder if WT has contacted any of these people. Even if not the very best, but still highly exceptional.

5. Han Solo cheated. The actual distance (being a parsec, not time) is much further than 12. He took a wormhole shortcut that bent the universe to reduce the distance to 12 parsecs illegally. He may brag about it, but it is not recognized by the Guinness book of Universe records. Go ahead, look it up. It isn't there.

6. Hmmm, I don't think it is about liking to type. I sure didn't like it on regular keyboards! It was just something I had to do. But with the TB, I do sometimes find myself typing, just to type. Even then I don't think it is about liking to type. More like, "I can't believe this is so much better so let me check again" :)
  • Reply 907 of 1615
    asenderasender Posts: 9member
    My god it's just like pushing buttons, automatic result, context has no impact, just react to each sentence one after another.  Incredible.  The Zeno's paradox approach to ethical judgment is just the cherry on top.
  • Reply 908 of 1615
    asender said:
    My god it's just like pushing buttons, automatic result, context has no impact, just react to each sentence one after another.  Incredible.  The Zeno's paradox approach to ethical judgment is just the cherry on top.
    DBK is just going with the flow. It’s not possible for him to be any other way than what he is, so expecting something different to repeated history leads to insanity. 

So so just don’t worry about it. MK and DBK love the last word, and DBK does have the luxury of typing it all on a TextBlade, so it is what it is, context or no, cream and cherries on top or no. 

It is what it is. Unless you get the reality stone and can change things that way, we just have to hope against hope that the dishonorable MK actully turns out to have some honor after all. 

Fingers crossed (due to a lack of TextBlades to type on).
  • Reply 909 of 1615
    DBK is just going with the flow.
    Yep. It seemed that you were just playing around so I did the same.
  • Reply 910 of 1615
    DBK is just going with the flow.
    Yep. It seemed that you were just playing around so I did the same.
    Yes, just mucking around in between getting more serious stuff done. 

It’s MK that holds all the cards, and all the remaining prototype TBs, and the literal keys (and key caps) to the TextBlade kingdom, he the Knighton not of the round table, but the rectangular blade. 

It’s a working week so perhaps he has had to stay away from the wine glasses and late night/early morning forum posts, lest they get him into the same kind of trouble as Trump’s tweets :-) :-) :-)

Anyway, no news is no news, but we await the great May update in the meantime. 
  • Reply 911 of 1615
    I was feeling a bit off the wall, so in an attempt to write a thriller that was bad, if not slightly dangerous, I present the latest bit of MK-inspired sheer insanity. Have the appropriate song playing and just substitute the lyrics. It's far from my best award-winning work, but for 10 mins work it'll have to do :-)

Typist's Scene
    Typeal Knightson

He was more like a typist queen from a movie scene
    I said don't mind, but what do you mean, I am the one
    Who will type on the board to the ground
    He said I am the one, who will type on the floor with click sound

He told me his name was Knighton Jean, as he typed a scene
    Then every head turned with eyes that dreamed of typing the one
    Who will type all the keys that he found

People always told Mark be careful of what you do
    And don't go around breaking buyer's hearts
    And Knighton always told me be careful of what you love
    And be careful of what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth

Texty Blade just ain't my keyboard
    Blade's just a board, can't claim I've ever typed on
    The Blade I've not typed on
    Text Blade I've not turned on, but I wish I had typed on

For forty days and forty nights
    The law was on his side
    But who can stand when Blade's in demand
    His schemes and plans
    'Cause he typed through the door in the pound
    So take my strong advice, just remember to always type twice
    (Don't type twice, don't type twice)

He told his keyboard he'd typed till three, then he looked at me
    Then showed a photo sly Text Blade cried his eyes were like mine (oh, no!)
    'Cause he typed on the board that he found, bladey

People always told Mark be careful of what you do
    And don't go around breaking buyer's hearts
    He came and stood right by me
    Just the smell of sweet Blade fumes
    This happened much too late
    They called it "Late Blade-Gate"

The Blade I've not typed on

Text Blade I've not typed on

Texty Blade it just ain't my keyboard

(You know what you did, (Text Blade I've not typed on) breaking my heart, Blade)

Texty Blade in not my keyboard
    Texty Blade is not keyboard (don't be Texty Blade)
    Texty Blade is not my keyboard

edited May 2019 arkorott
  • Reply 912 of 1615
    ericpeetsericpeets Posts: 99member
    dabigkahuna said:

1. I’m well aware of what firmware is, and ROMs, etc. 
    No, you're not. You're completely unaware. And it's yet more proof that you absolutely no clue on low-level programming, much less "MACHINE LANGUAGE" programming. Keep them coming. I'm curious as to where the bottom of your ignorance is.

I’m also aware that it doesn’t mean much to say, “It’s firmware, not a basic program” 
    I said "userland BASIC program" -- learn to read. Don't tell me you don't know what 'userland' means. It's rather self-explanatory. And BASIC stands for Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. Guess you didn't know that either.

because, gee, there are all these timing things. So? You act like whatever the present speed is for firmware, that it is ONLY because of some fundamental requirement of timing on the hardware...
    Does gigahertz (for cpu's), megahertz, CAS latency (for RAM), SATA2/3, PCIe SATA, SCSI, Thunderbolt 1/2/3, IOPS for disks, USB1.1/2/3 for interfaces -- any of that ring a bell? Marketing uses 'speed' while programmers prefer 'timing' because everything has speed and runs in cycles, in accordance to its own clock or based on the CPU's. And they all have to be in sync. It's the "FIRMWARE" (or BIOS, or UEFI BIOS) that makes sure they all run in sync.

But you think making "FIRMWARE" run fast will automatically make everything go fast. Well, let's try that...

At last count, I heard the TB has: cpu x 4, memory, storage device, bluetooth controller, micro-controller for USB, and a few other things I'll leave out for simplicity. Will faster "FIRMWARE" make cpu go fast? Will faster "FIRMWARE" make storage go from SATA2 -> Thunderbolt3 fast? Will faster "FIRMWARE" make its USB2 run faster than USB3? Will faster "FIRMWARE" make bluetooth 4 jump to bluetooth 6 or 7?

No, Kahuna, I think it will just go kabloomey... If CPU wants to read/write to memory faster than memory wants, or tells BT controller to scream louder, or even read the damn FIRMWARE faster than disk wants, they'll all just say FU and probably just quit.

as if it isn’t ALSO sometimes about the programming. Which brings us to:

2. The firmware is programming! 
    When did I say it's not programming? Oh, okay. You're resorting to some semantics game? Sure, FIRMWAREs are PROGRAMMEDTYPED, by a HUMAN using FINGERS and KEYBOARD (generically speaking, since it's maybe/maybe not Textblade), viewed on SCREEN (again, generically speaking, as it may be CRT, LED, OLED, QLED, projection) at some TIME (4 years ago-10 min ago, day or night, Mon-Sun)

And the programming can be cleaned up and run faster without necessarily causing problems
    Re-read above again, carefully this time.

WT would probably need to get faster parts affected by their faster "FIRMWARE" and maybe that's why they're upping the price to $129? Maybe they painted themselves into a corner. Dunno.

• Reply 913 of 1615
    Hey Alex,

LOL. Do you take requests?
    You gotta do a version of Michael Jackson's "Bad"!
    Please?

Also, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon?"
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 914 of 1615
    ericpeets said:
    Hey Alex,

LOL. Do you take requests?
    You gotta do a version of Michael Jackson's "Bad"!
    Please?

Also, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon?"
    Hi Eric

Post 793 on Page 40 already has "Bad" - it's retitled "Blade", back on May 13.

Just cue up Bad on Apple Music/Spotify/YouTube and sing along with my lyrics. 

The end of Bad has Jackson singing the same few paragraphs over and over, I got the lyrics from one of those lyrics sites. 

Here's a link to page 40. 

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/210444/the-textblade-keyboard-is-superb-but-youll-have-to-be-patient/p40

Re: Dark Side of the Moon, is there a particular track from the album, or do you mean the whole thing?

Cheers

Alex.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 915 of 1615
    Hi Eric

Post 793 on Page 40 already has "Bad" - it's retitled "Blade", back on May 13.

Just cue up Bad on Apple Music/Spotify/YouTube and sing along with my lyrics. 

The end of Bad has Jackson singing the same few paragraphs over and over, I got the lyrics from one of those lyrics sites. 

Here's a link to page 40. 

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/210444/the-textblade-keyboard-is-superb-but-youll-have-to-be-patient/p40

Re: Dark Side of the Moon, is there a particular track from the album, or do you mean the whole thing?

Cheers

Alex.
    Sorry, I meant "Comfortably Numb"
  • Reply 916 of 1615
    ericpeets said:
    Sorry, I meant "Comfortably Numb"

Insufferably Glum

Hello?
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just type if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone at home?
    Come on, now,
    I hear you're feeling down.
    Well I can't ease your pain
    Knock you off your feet again.
    Panics.
    I'll need some information first.
    Just the basic facts.
    Can you tell me where Mark blurts?

There is such pain, your brain is bleeding
    A distant ship date on the horizon.
    Blather only coming through in waves.
    Mark's lips move but I can't hear what he's saying.
    When Text Blade launched I was a believer
    My hands felt just like two balloons.
    Now I've lost that feeling once again
    I can't explain you would not understand
    This is now what I am.
    Mark has become insufferably ho-hum.

O.K.
    Mark's a little pinprick.
    There'll be tons more aaaaaaaaah!
    But you may feel a little sick.
    Can you stand up?
    I don't believe it's working, bad.
    Mark's excuses just mean a no show
    Refund it's time to go.

There is such pain, your brain is bleeding
    A distant ship date on the horizon.
    Blather only coming through in waves.
    Mark's lips move but I can't hear what he's saying.
    When Text Blade first launched 
    I caught a fleeting glimpse
    Out of the corner of my eye.
    I turned to look but it was gone
    I cannot put my finger on it now
    The lies have grown, 
    The dream is gone.
    Mark has become insufferably "umm".

ericpeets
  • Reply 917 of 1615
    ericpeets said:
    Does gigahertz (for cpu's), megahertz, CAS latency (for RAM), SATA2/3, PCIe SATA, SCSI, Thunderbolt 1/2/3, IOPS for disks, USB1.1/2/3 for interfaces -- any of that ring a bell? Marketing uses 'speed' while programmers prefer 'timing' because everything has speed and runs in cycles, in accordance to its own clock or based on the CPU's. And they all have to be in sync. It's the "FIRMWARE" (or BIOS, or UEFI BIOS) that makes sure they all run in sync.

Almost all your post is about throwing out computer/programming terms and declaring I don't know what they mean (usually falsely) - as you keep skipping over the actual point. The above is just one of many examples of you doing this.

All to miss the simple point that speed is affected not just by timing, but how efficiently the program (including a program in firmware) works. While speeding up the program in firmware MIGHT cause some timing problem, it clearly isn't the case that it must. Because surely whatever the original speed efficiency was would be unlikely to be the maximum that will work!

You've played this game before. You made a big deal about how hard it would be to do the math in in machine code You acting like you knew I couldn't do it. And took advantage of the fact that I surely didn't remember details. But then I looked some things up and, surprise, it turned out there was this nifty little "ADD" instruction that easily adds two registers together (a very key and often used step in a grade book program). It was easy to load (LD) the registers with the value of an address that held a grade. So when I said I didn't think of it as a big deal, surprise again, it was because it wasn't a big deal. I may sometimes enter the code in assembly terms. Or enter it as the MC hex numbers (for things that were common and I simply remembered eventually - such as LD A, which was used a LOT). Either way, it comes out as MC the computer doesn't have to interpret like it did the Basic part of the program and it wasn't complicated at all.
  • Reply 918 of 1615
    @alexonline ;

Stairway To Heaven. Finish this one off:

...and she's buy-uy-ing a Teh-ext Blade from Way Too-ools

• Reply 919 of 1615
    @alexonline ;

Stairway To Heaven. Finish this one off:

...and she's buy-uy-ing a Teh-ext Blade from Way Too-ools

Your News at Eleven:

There's a lady who's sure 
    All Mark's BS is bold
    Yet she's buying a Text Blade from Way Too-ools
    When she gets there she knows, 
    Text Blade stores are all closed
    With no word she can't get what she came for
    Ooh, ooh, and she's buy-uy-ing a Teh-ext Blade from Way Too-ools

There's a sign on the wall 
    But she wants to be sure
    'Cause Mark knows sometimes words have two meanings
    In a blade by the brook 
    There's a Markbird who sings
    Sometimes all of his thoughts are misgivings

[Chorus]
    Ooh, it makes me wonder
    Ooh, Mark makes a blunder

[Verse 2]
    There's a feeling I get
    When delays are a pest
    And my refund is crying for leaving
    In my thoughts I have seen 
    Firmware features not freezed
    And the click-clacks of those who type waiting

[Chorus]
    Ooh, it makes me wonder
    Ooh, makes me wanna chunder

[Verse 3]
    And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune
    Then the piper will lead us to TextBlades
    And a new day will dawn 
    For those who type long
    And the Treggers will echo with laughter

[Verse 4]
    If there's a bustle in Mark's go slow
    Don't be alarmed now
    It's just a spring clean for venting spleen
    Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change firm ware you're on
    And it makes me wonder

Your head is humming will Blade ship
    In case launch does slip
    Mark piper's calling you to join him
    Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow
    And did you know
    Your TextBlade lies on the whispering wind

[Guitar Solo]

[Bridge]
    And as we swallow what we're told
    Mark's digging such a bigger hole
    There types a lady oh so slow
    Who shines white light and wants to know
    Why Mark's BS is still so bold
    That if you believe very hard
    Text blade will come to you at last
    When all are none and none is all
    To make Text blade but its not sold

[Outro]
    Yet she's buy-uy-ing a Teh-ext Blade from Way Too-ools

edited May 2019 ericpeets
  • Reply 920 of 1615
    arkorottarkorott Posts: 100member
    @alexonline: these are all awesome !
    You should get a Grammy

BTW, through the DBK and ericpeets discussion I have a question as I got intrigued: in a distributed system with several CPUs and controllers how can you ensure they stay in sync ? ie how do you avoid that a given controller brings the whole orchestra out of whack ? How / who keeps the tempo according to specs ?
    I will look it up in any case but perhaps somebody knows.

alexonline
This discussion has been closed.