iPod update available

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Version 1.2.6. Resolves battery problems. Get it here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    ...it better.......

• Reply 2 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    AYJEEE !!!

finally! my iPod only got 6-8 hours lately. mind you, I have the original 5GB, bought when they came out.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    i've waited a long time for this!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

AYJEEE !!!

finally! my iPod only got 6-8 hours lately. mind you, I have the original 5GB, bought when they came out.

same here,
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Its making me think that if the older iPods are able to play the AAC format. If Apple was intending on doing that why would they make an update now? You think that this update would be included when the new iPods came out. But who knows. Apple may have finished this early and just wanted to get it out the door and that the AAC compatibility will be released in another version. I find it strange that they would not include it all together.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There is an indication that current iPods WILL be able to play AAC files with a firmware upgrade. As a matter of fact, it makes sense that they will since the supposed music service from Cupertino will feature the AAC format and Apple wants all iPod owners to download music. Fixing the battery problem makes absolute sense as it is long overdue..
  • Reply 7 of 13
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I don't see any reason why the iPod architecture can't support AAC (it's just another codec, really), and I've been hearing strong rumours about AAC hitting the next iteration of iTunes: be a bit dumb if iPods don't support an iTunes-supported format.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

There is an indication that current iPods WILL be able to play AAC files with a firmware upgrade. As a matter of fact, it makes sense that they will since the supposed music service from Cupertino will feature the AAC format and Apple wants all iPod owners to download music. Fixing the battery problem makes absolute sense as it is long overdue..

MacsRGood4U, I have no doubt that Apple will not include AAC as the Music Server is rumored to be going this way, just like you said. But I find it odd that they would not include the battery update with the AAC update, especially if the new iPods are coming out in a matter of weeks, lets hope. Unless the AAC update is going to firmware, like you said, then this would not be odd at all.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All I have to say is my original 5gig BETTER be able to play AAC. Better yet AAC Plus as I saw in some other thread here. That's why I bought it, future MP4 compatability. And Space Invaders, maybe Pac Man, Tetris, and a couple other games would be nice too.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Version 1.2.6. Resolves battery problems. Get it here.

I can happily report that after installing the 1.2.6 update my 5gig iPod from dec2001 has played for 9 hours now and still is playing.....thats much better than the 3-4 hours I was getting.

Love my iPod
  • Reply 11 of 13
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I am happy to report that my 10GB iPod is getting much better battery life. Also a couple guys at work have 5GB iPods and have noticed a dramatic improvement.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'd also like to add that 1.2.6 appears to let you charge the iPod while your computer is sleeping. The HD spins down and everything.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I'd also like to add that 1.2.6 appears to let you charge the iPod while your computer is sleeping. The HD spins down and everything.

Are you sure that this is due to 1.2.6? I remember reading about this feature a little while ago and it seemed that the ability to do this is dependent upon the Mac you're using. I think this is the case since my iPod (5 gig) doesn't want to change when my TiBook 550 with 10.2.4 is sleeping. Too bad, since that would be a great feature!