Former Apple retail head Angela Ahrendts joins Airbnb's board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's recently-exited retail VP, Angela Ahrendts, on Thursday joined the board of directors for home rental giant Airbnb.

Airbnb

Ahrendts is just the third independent person to join the board after former Pixar CFO Ann Mather and former American Express CEO Ken Chenault, CNBC said. Airbnb is preparing for an initial public offering that could happen later in 2019.

Airbnb cited Ahrendts' work in "building community among customers" at Apple as something that would help it going forward.

Much of Airbnb's success is likely attributable to Apple, since many renters and guests alike make use of the company's app for iPhones and iPads, though of course an app is also available for Android.

Ahrendts left the company in April, to be replaced by Deirdre O'Brien. Though Ahrendts was highly-paid, receiving some $26.5 million in compensation last year, she reportedly upset a "finely tuned balance" with her efforts to transform stores into "town squares" and luxury showrooms instead of places designed to speed people through shopping and tech support.

O'Brien has had to hit the ground running, touring global locations and opening Apple Carnegie Library in D.C.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    "building community among customers"
    She accomplished no such thing, glad she's gone.
    razorpitTomEuraharaGeorgeBMackestral
  • Reply 2 of 19
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Agreed. Ever since she's had her "fingerprints" on the store design I've hated going to them.
    TomEbloggerbloguraharatyler82kestral
  • Reply 3 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    razorpit said:
    Agreed. Ever since she's had her "fingerprints" on the store design I've hated going to them.
    To be honest I agree.  
    kestral
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    I don't think she is missed all that much...
    kestral
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    Why do apple execs always leave to go to the sleaziest companies? Bozoma Saint John went to Uber and now Angela goes to AirBnB. 
  • Reply 6 of 19
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    tokyojimu said:
    Why do apple execs always leave to go to the sleaziest companies? Bozoma Saint John went to Uber and now Angela goes to AirBnB. 
    Money trumps sleaze in almost every case.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    tokyojimu said:
    I heard about Uber. I not that much informed about Airbnb. Could you please briefly tell me about their dark side?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    I think AirBnB will be s great fit for Angela. 

She seemed like s genuinely nice person with a heart for people and the skill to being touched of reality to what can be a cold, soulless marketplace. 

However, Apple wasn’t a good fit. Apple has kind of had a way about it that gave a human touch to tech and it accomplished this by badically getting out of the way. 

Angela basically pushed things on you. Kind of like s girlfriend or a mom would, knowing it would be beneficial. but in this case, it didn’t mix well. 

At any other company, even another tech co. Like Microsoft, she’d thrive. 

Just not Apple or Google. 

Tim saw greatness in her. I think he probably saw correctly. But that greatness wasn’t meant to be realized at Apple. 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    From the author of this article - "Much of Airbnb's success is likely attributable to Apple, since many renters and guests alike make use of the company's app for iPhones and iPads, though of course an app is also available for Android."   What ??   Tell me how Airbnb's success has anything at all to do with Apple.   If 90% of the market is using Windows computers, then that implies that vast majority of Airbnb customers are using Windows to look and book on Airbnb.  Yes,  there is the mobile space, but again, how can Apple be responsible for the success of Airbnb?  I'm not getting that concept.   Is Airbnb using Apple servers or infrastructure somehow?   In that case, maybe you could say Apple has something to do with it.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 19
    M68000 said:
    From the author of this article - "Much of Airbnb's success is likely attributable to Apple, since many renters and guests alike make use of the company's app for iPhones and iPads, though of course an app is also available for Android."   What ??   Tell me how Airbnb's success has anything at all to do with Apple.   If 90% of the market is using Windows computers, then that implies that vast majority of Airbnb customers are using Windows to look and book on Airbnb.  Yes,  there is the mobile space, but again, how can Apple be responsible for the success of Airbnb?  I'm not getting that concept.   Is Airbnb using Apple servers or infrastructure somehow?   In that case, maybe you could say Apple has something to do with it.
    I would suspect that the AirBNB iOS app uses Apple servers and infrastructure.  The last AirBNB I used that wasn’t exclusively through the iPhone was in November of 2011.  If they had not been on iOS and a competitor had been I would have gone with the competitor for ease of use.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    M68000 said:
    It is a silly statement.  I actually do most of my AirBnB scouting and reservations via a web browser on my Mac, as I'm sure many do the same via Edge on Windows.

• Reply 12 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    urahara said:
    tokyojimu said:
    I heard about Uber. I not that much informed about Airbnb. Could you please briefly tell me about their dark side?
    There is no such thing.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    sflocal said:
    M68000 said:
    It is a silly statement.  I actually do most of my AirBnB scouting and reservations via a web browser on my Mac, as I'm sure many do the same via Edge on Windows.

AirBNB says that the vast majority of their reservations are from their mobile app. While I'm sure that more than half of the AI audience will use their Mac or other desktop to make the reservation -- and I am a Mac-primary user as well -- the web is mobile-centric, and has been so for about five years.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 14 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think she had the right idea -- but the wrong approach & tactics...

She tried to use a social, community based model (like the suburban malls exploited back in the 80's and 90's).
    But Apple customers are product centric -- they're there for the product, not the socialization or to kill time.

It will be good to see the Apple Stores returning to supporting the customers and their products with technical support, advice, education, etc., etc., etc., ....
    (And, oh yeh, if you want to buy something while you're there, they will still be happy to sell it to you!)
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    razorpit said:
    You  mean "Town Square" designs? Yes, that was her trademark.

I agree. Apple stores have become completely soulless. I miss the first Apple Stores with the squishy chairs in the kids section around the "flower power" and "polka dot" imacs and the grass looking carpeting. And the Think Different posters of cultural icons.

Now when I go to an Apple Store I can't wait to leave. 
    edited May 2019 kestral
  • Reply 16 of 19
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    I think Airbnb might just fit her talent.  
  • Reply 17 of 19
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 206member
    One more overpaid bullshit exec who achieved nothing
    kestral
  • Reply 18 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What happens to failed or retired executives? They serve on the boards of other companies. It’s a living!