Steve Jobs' legacy & Apple Park celebrated by Lady Gaga concert

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
As rumored, Lady Gaga christened the new classic Apple logo-themed stage in the center of Apple Park with a concert, celebrating not just the opening of the headquarters, but what founder Steve Jobs did for the arts and the world.

After speculation on Friday that the performer was on her way to Apple Park, Lady Gaga performed an abbreviated version of her "Enigma" show for 15,000 Apple employees. Early in the show, she dedicated her song "Million Reasons" to founder Steve Jobs.

"If we could all, 15 thousand of us for one minute, that I will time, I would like silence, in honor of your late husband. I think it takes a true genius like Steve Jobs to be able to make so many people talk and communicate, and also, to leave us speechless," Gaga said to Jobs' widow, Laurene Powell-Jobs. "Laurene, you do so much for the world, with the Emerson Collective and so much more that you do. You help people, you're kind. This is the most important thing in the universe, kindness. This is what heals the whole world. So I hope you take this as a true sincere kind gesture. I would not only like to dedicate this to your late husband, but to you for carrying on his legacy."

Her thanks weren't just for Steve Jobs. She also had kind words for Beats One host Zane Lowe.

"I'd also like to say thanks to Zane Lowe, because you know, he's always really encouraged me to do whatever the fuck I want. So I'm gonna ask you something, I actually think have to go through a different company and you guys have to approve it," asked Gaga. "But I would like, if you know anybody, an emoji that says 'Be Kind'. So I'm going to get to work on that."

Thanks to the incomparable @ladygaga for helping make our celebration unforgettable. pic.twitter.com/tgBJoBTzxo

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Lady Gaga's attendance was chronicled by Lady Gaga Now The full concert is available on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Thanks to Tim and company. Tribute to Steve Jobs is very appropriate. He reincarnated today's Apple and in process made money for many(employees,share holders,Cupertino tax base,3rd party suppliers,etc) and sadly Chinese who now turning against Apple.
    chasm
  • Reply 2 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Nice touch.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 3 of 17
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
     “Be Kind”, loving, generous, compassionate, open-minded, open-hearted: What a concept.

Thank you, Apple, for trying to bring a little civility and beauty to the world.
    chasmsteveaumacawesome88lolliverMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    They recorded a video in portrait view... words fail me.
    macawesome88SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    irnchriz said:
    Well, that was Gaga's people, not Apple.

In any event, I'm very glad the dedication of the park was dedicated to Steve. In many ways this was his final big gift to Apple and the world, and if you watch the video of his final public appearance pitching it to Cupertino CC, you can tell his heart and soul was in it. And still is.

I think he would be extremely pleased with most things Apple has accomplished since his passing, with Tim and the rest of the team, with the increased diversity, and with the success of the products that have come since his untimely death. He had problems and failures (PLENTY of 'em!) when he was in charge, but he focused on the bigger picture just like Cook does, and so overall I think he'd be very happy -- particularly with how Apple Park turned out.
    edited May 2019 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    irnchriz said:
    Since it apparently isn't obvious to you "they" is not Apple Inc. 

It's an Instagrammer whose post was reblogged by a Lady Gaga fan site.

I agree that the current portrait video trend is lamentable. I blame the generation that Tim Cook's generation failed: Millennials.

At least Boomers don't typically shoot video in portrait mode.

Anyhow it looks like it was a very enjoyable event.
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mpantone said:
    irnchriz said:

I agree that the current portrait video trend is lamentable. I blame the generation that Tim Cook's generation failed: Millennials.

I guess the "be kind" thing was just lost on some folks?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mpantone said:
    irnchriz said:

I really wish Apple would add a setting to record landscape while holding the phone in the more comfortable and secure portrait orientation.  The lens is circular; there’s no technical reason not to support this.  
    StrangeDaysgareth2210watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    mpantone said:
    irnchriz said:

I didn’t say it was Apple, I said they as I didn’t know if it was a man or woman recording.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    wood1208 said:
    Thanks to Tim and company. Tribute to Steve Jobs is very appropriate. He reincarnated today's Apple and in process made money for many(employees,share holders,Cupertino tax base,3rd party suppliers,etc) and sadly Chinese who now turning against Apple.
    Literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough at this point. JFC.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    wood1208 said:
    Literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough at this point. JFC.
    How hard do you literally need to roll your eyes?
    lolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 17
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Her style of music does not interest me much, but from little whatever I’ve heard of it, I think she’s incredibly talented. Also, she appears to be super hardworking and smart. 

My positive opinion of her went through the roof when she decided to invest in the heritage of one of my musical idols, Frank Zappa: Lady Gaga bought Zappa’s house to preserve it when it was put up for sale by his dysfunctional family. 
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mpantone said:
    irnchriz said:

And that’s why Samsung just released a TV that rotates 90 degrees to accommodate video shot in portrait mode.

Frankly I’m waiting for round TVs to accommodate this switch electronically without having to physically rotate the screen. An even better idea is to shoot Landscape mode when holding the phone vertically, as has been suggested. Horizontal video frankly should be the default when shooting video, regardless of phone orientation — portrait for FaceTime and social media blogging.  But portrait has its place, so round TVs it is! ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 17
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mpantone said:
    irnchriz said:

I really wish Apple would add a setting to record landscape while holding the phone in the more comfortable and secure portrait orientation.  The lens is circular; there’s no technical reason not to support this.  
    Completely agree. One should be able to rotate or lock position in any camera lens orientation.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think that the vast majority of people who use portrait do it out of ignorance and not knowing any better, and I believe that iPhones or any phones should default to landscape video recording, regardless of which position the phone is held in. If somebody really wants to shoot in portrait, then there would be an option for that, but it would not be the default.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    irnchriz said:

Dude it's 2019. Apple/iPhone changed the game years ago, you can thank Apple for this new form of video. I literally see TVs turned vertically everywhere now. Grocery stores, malls, heck I've seen freaking computer monitors turned vertically now.