Google suspends Huawei's Android license, forces switch to open-source version

Posted:
in General Discussion
Following newly-authorized rules by the Trump administration, Google has reportedly terminated Huawei's Android license, forcing it to move to the Android Open Source Project.

Huawei Nova4

The change won't immediately affect owners of Huawei phones, since they'll be able to update individual apps through the Google Play Store, Reuters noted. The company will however have to use its own system to push broader OS updates, and only once they've been published through AOSP.

It may cut Huawei off from key apps and services such as Gmail, YouTube, and even Chrome. Most Google mobile apps are already banned in Huawei's Chinese homeland, but they are licensed for devices in markets like Europe.

The company has reportedly spent several years preparing for such a contingency, and is even using some of that fallback technology in Chinese versions of its phones. Westerners, though, are unlikely to be happy without access to services many consider cornerstones of the internet.

Last week the U.S. Commerce Department added Huawei and 70 affiliates to its "Entity List," preventing it from buying from American businesses without a license demonstrating there's no national security risk. Simultaneously, President Donald Trump signed an executive order blocking corporations from using telecoms equipment from firms deemed a national security risk -- such as Huawei and ZTE.

The Trump administration has expressed worries that Huawei's ties with the Chinese government could lead to backdoors, and indeed a report recently claimed the discovery of such activity in the Netherlands. Huawei has denied any such threat, and argued U.S. actions are really meant to thwart Chinese business.

Indeed the U.S. bans could kick a leg out from under Huawei, since until this month it was dependent on American suppliers like Qualcomm. That could give companies like Apple a better chance in China, even if it will still have to deal with price obstacles and local brands like Xiaomi, Oppo, and Vivo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Very nice. Although not intended, even a small dent in a ‘global economy’ is a good thing. The world cannot all get along no matter how good the intentions are, and the larger the groups of diverse people equally governed the less likely they will be to agree and get along. Discrimination, persecution, division, and totalitarianism will be necessary to manage a globally oriented population. Ironically, the result of a global economy will be exactly the opposite of what is hoped for.
    williamlondonracerhomie3lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 81
    I don't feel comfortable with the "Backdoors Inside" my Macs and PCs. Don't know who designed the Cortex cores in the Kirin SoCs in my Huawei devices. (I'm in the EU.)
    williamlondonkelemor
  • Reply 3 of 81
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Ban sales of Qualcomm chips and Android to Huawei and watch that mobile unit disintegrate.

The bad part is that China would retaliate against Apple and that means catastrophic consequences for Apple, as Cook has not prepared Apple for such a contingency even though he was warned 2.5 years ago. 

Huawei gets a chunk of Samsung’s market share in China and in Europe. It’s actually better for Apple if Huawei mobile unit stayed alive.  
    williamlondonqwweraracerhomie3ElCapitan
  • Reply 4 of 81
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    I’m actually amazed Google is doing the right thing here. After all, they’ve been fueling Asian knockoff artists (including Samsung) since Android 1.0, at the expense of/on the backs of American companies and American innovation. Remember how Google bought one of the last remaining American mobile device companies (Motorola), only to mine their patents before dumping the company off on the Chinese? All to build a mobile market share monopoly to feed their sweet, sweet digital surveillance advertising business.

Now all that remain are Apple and, surprise, Google. Who, like Microsoft before them, found it worthwhile to stab their hardware “partners” in the back by jumping into the hardware market themselves for some potentially-lucrative double-dipping.

Google are scum, but at least they’re doing the right thing here. For once. 
    elijahgwilliamlondoncat52lolliverracerhomie3olslkrupplostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 81
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    huawei have nothing special. They never been forward Us products. You see , all their production use a freeware software gifted by Americans. Without google, huawei can’t do anything. They haven’t a good software alternative. They are nothing. Few media helped them to sell more smartphones , with fake news and exaggerated reviews. But basically they are android products like many other brands. I think Us should make an investigation between media and huawei to understand the reason of that special friendship. 
    williamlondonracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 81
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    sirozha said:
    Ban sales of Qualcomm chips and Android to Huawei and watch that mobile unit disintegrate.

The bad part is that China would retaliate against Apple and that means catastrophic consequences for Apple, as Cook has not prepared Apple for such a contingency even though he was warned 2.5 years ago. 

Huawei gets a chunk of Samsung’s market share in China and in Europe. It’s actually better for Apple if Huawei mobile unit stayed alive.  
    Please.  You have zero clue what Tim Cook’s contingency plan is or is not.  I’ll trust him to know what’s best should things really go south with Apple and China.

China needs Apple and vice-versa.  If China halts Apple products, then a gazillion Chinese workers will be out of a job, in addition to countless billions of dollars being lost for China.
    ericthehalfbeemacplusplusmacxpressracerhomie3pscooter63LordeHawkolsmuthuk_vanalingamlkruppMacQc
  • Reply 7 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    A wonderful thread, so far. 

But it just wait until the Huawei trolls start to show up... (and they will — it’s still very early morning there). 
    williamlondonracerhomie3StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

I’m actually amazed Google is doing the right thing here. After all, they’ve been fueling Asian knockoff artists (including Samsung) since Android 1.0, at the expense of/on the backs of American companies and American innovation. Remember how Google bought one of the last remaining American mobile device companies (Motorola), only to mine their patents before dumping the company off on the Chinese? All to build a mobile market share monopoly to feed their sweet, sweet digital surveillance advertising business.

Now all that remain are Apple and, surprise, Google. Who, like Microsoft before them, found it worthwhile to stab their hardware “partners” in the back by jumping into the hardware market themselves for some potentially-lucrative double-dipping.

This is not the first time. Google left China some years ago when they were asked to tattle and spy on users. They just packed up and left (yes, there were some recent moves to tip-toe back in, and while that may yet happen, they’re still not in China). Apple, IIRC, agreed to China’s data requests — but someone could correct me on that. 

Credit it where credit is due. 
    williamlondonjohnbsiriusgatorguy
  • Reply 9 of 81

But it just wait until the Huawei trolls start to show up... (and they will — it’s still very early morning there). 
    动态网自由门天安门天安门法轮功李洪志Free Tibet 六四天安门事件The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安门大屠杀The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派斗争The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大跃进政策The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人权Human Rights 民运Democratization 自由Freedom 独立Independence 多党制Multi-party system 台湾台湾Taiwan Formosa 中华民国Republic of China 西藏土伯特唐古特Tibet 达赖喇嘛Dalai Lama 法轮功Falun Dafa 新疆维吾尔自治区The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 诺贝尔和平奖Nobel Peace Prize 刘暁波Liu Xiaobo 民主言论思想反共反革命抗议运动骚乱暴乱骚扰扰乱抗暴平反维权示威游行李洪志法轮大法大法弟子强制断种强制堕胎民族净化人体实验肃清胡耀邦赵紫阳魏京生王丹还政于民和平演变激流中国北京之春大纪元时报评论共产党 独裁 专制 压制 统一 监视 镇压 迫害 侵略 掠夺 破坏 拷问 屠杀 活摘器官 诱拐 买卖人口 游进 走私 毒品 卖淫 春画 赌博 六合彩 天安门 天安门 法轮功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 刘晓波动态网自由门

Hopefully that'll keep them at bay.

anantksundaramwilliamlondonchristophbacejax805LordeHawkaknabimacguiTuuborStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 81
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member

Google isn’t choosing to do anything, let alone the “right thing”.

I suggest you read this sentence again:
    “Last week the U.S. Commerce Department added Huawei and 70 affiliates to its "Entity List," preventing it from buying from American businesses without a license demonstrating there's no national security risk.”

In other words, 
    Open Source + Huawei = OK
    Google + Huawei = Not OK

This news isn’t good for Apple.  It harms Apple’s China business at lot more than it harms Huawei’s US business.

If the customer so desires, they can still download Google Apps on Huawei made phones.  But, the Google App Store won’t come preinstalled, and unlike Apple, Android has other methods to download Apps.

AppleExposedcat52ElCapitanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 81
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Winnie the Pooh

Had no idea what you meant until I Googled it (shame I couldn't have Appled it 'cos Google are scum apparently).

pscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 81
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    The funny thing is, now that Samsung has lost the war against Apple all the iKnockoff slaves suddenly have an erection for Huawei. We even see these scumbags hope for the U.S. economy to collapse only so they can see Apple go down with it. lol
  • Reply 13 of 81
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    georgie01 said:
    Very nice. Although not intended, even a small dent in a ‘global economy’ is a good thing. The world cannot all get along no matter how good the intentions are, and the larger the groups of diverse people equally governed the less likely they will be to agree and get along. Discrimination, persecution, division, and totalitarianism will be necessary to manage a globally oriented population. Ironically, the result of a global economy will be exactly the opposite of what is hoped for.
    Wow, that’s optimistic...
  • Reply 14 of 81
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    When you get your OS for free, you can’t expect its provider to go to bat for you to help you get a license demonstrating there’s no national security risk.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 81

sflocal said:
    sirozha said:

Please.  You have zero clue what Tim Cook’s contingency plan is or is not.  I’ll trust him to know what’s best should things really go south with Apple and China.

China needs Apple and vice-versa.  If China halts Apple products, then a gazillion Chinese workers will be out of a job, in addition to countless billions of dollars being lost for China.
    More like China and America need each other, in general...
    genovelle
  • Reply 16 of 81

hentaiboy said:

Winnie the Pooh

Had no idea what you meant until I Googled it (shame I couldn't have Appled it 'cos Google are scum apparently).

You could DuckDuckGo it instead......
    pscooter63Tuuborwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 81

The funny thing is, now that Samsung has lost the war against Apple all the iKnockoff slaves suddenly have an erection for Huawei. We even see these scumbags hope for the U.S. economy to collapse only so they can see Apple go down with it. lol
    What are you even talking about??
    Carnagemacguibonobob
  • Reply 18 of 81
    One last comment:

”...cornerstones of the internet...” ha ha ha ha ha... Only if you want to be Google’s product. I avoid all of their stuff except for reverse image search.
  • Reply 19 of 81
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned latest CNBC piece on Google, collecting details from your purchase receipts sent via gmail. (While I assumed they still culled meta data, I thought they vowed to stop reading the internals.) If true, this may be the straw to make me cut gmail to minimum. Most of family still uses as primary link. Maybe tmrow AI and gator will address.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 81
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sirozha said:

Nonsense! China still has Xiaomi, OPPO, OnePlus can sell to US. So China would not do the same as US do to them.