Google suspends Huawei's Android license, forces switch to open-source version

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    PS About three blocks from "Apple Carnegie Library" just opened in Washington DC, Google put up billboard ad on Mass Ave building, dissing "Phone X $999" vs "Pixel 3A $399"..... Apple store is grand yet inviting. Not noisy even with more than 100 people for 5 pm creative workshop, and at least that many in two wings of first level. Excellent! They even had staff giving tour outside building. I overheard that it was first DC bldg that during segregation allowed people of any race to use at all times.
    lostkiwiAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 81
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Breaking news! Xinhua news said China will stop playing trade war. 
  • Reply 23 of 81
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    China in and of itself is the worlds largest marketplace. The unintended consequence could be that China will become self sufficient and not need American companies. 
    It might be a cut off your nose to spite your face move by the Trump administration.
    edited May 2019 lostkiwi
  • Reply 24 of 81
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

I'm having trouble following this discussion. Some of the comments make no sense to me.

I think this was a very risky move by Google. China is a global power, and pissing them off can't be a good thing.

Huawei still has options, but if this forces a significant shift in their development workflow, it's a costly change that will only impact customers negatively, not Huawei.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 81

I'm having trouble following this discussion. Some of the comments make no sense to me.

I think this was a very risky move by Google. China is a global power, and pissing them off can't be a good thing.

Huawei still has options, but if this forces a significant shift in their development workflow, it's a costly change that will only impact customers negatively, not Huawei.
    March 28, President Trump said Google told him Google is loyal to US military. 
  • Reply 26 of 81
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,485member
    I’m actually amazed Google is doing the right thing here. After all, they’ve been fueling Asian knockoff artists (including Samsung) since Android 1.0, at the expense of/on the backs of American companies and American innovation. Remember how Google bought one of the last remaining American mobile device companies (Motorola), only to mine their patents before dumping the company off on the Chinese? All to build a mobile market share monopoly to feed their sweet, sweet digital surveillance advertising business.

Now all that remain are Apple and, surprise, Google. Who, like Microsoft before them, found it worthwhile to stab their hardware “partners” in the back by jumping into the hardware market themselves for some potentially-lucrative double-dipping.

Google are scum, but at least they’re doing the right thing here. For once. 
    Google isn’t choosing to do anything, let alone the “right thing”.

I suggest you read this sentence again:
    “Last week the U.S. Commerce Department added Huawei and 70 affiliates to its "Entity List," preventing it from buying from American businesses without a license demonstrating there's no national security risk.”

In other words, 
    Open Source + Huawei = OK
    Google + Huawei = Not OK

This news isn’t good for Apple.  It harms Apple’s China business at lot more than it harms Huawei’s US business.

If the customer so desires, they can still download Google Apps on Huawei made phones.  But, the Google App Store won’t come preinstalled, and unlike Apple, Android has other methods to download Apps.

Apple won't be hurt by this. There are far too many people employed in China making Apple products bringing in billions upon billions in revenues. I could see some Chinese consumers "boycotting" Apple, but I don't think we'll see any "state" actions. Besides, the Chinese people still have many other smartphones they can buy from all the other companies that aren't banned.

How do you suggest Huawei customers download Apps? And how do you suggest they install Google Play Services on their devices (and expect it to connect to Google servers without being blocked after the device type is identified)?
    shrave10AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 81
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    tzeshan said:
    Um...what?!

Are you trying to be funny?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 81
    georgie01 said:
    Very nice. Although not intended, even a small dent in a ‘global economy’ is a good thing. The world cannot all get along no matter how good the intentions are, and the larger the groups of diverse people equally governed the less likely they will be to agree and get along. Discrimination, persecution, division, and totalitarianism will be necessary to manage a globally oriented population. Ironically, the result of a global economy will be exactly the opposite of what is hoped for.

• Reply 29 of 81
    longfanglongfang Posts: 445member
    How does Huawei need Qualcomm when they manufacture their own SoC’s even sell them to other phone makers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 81
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    A wonderful thread, so far. 

But it just wait until the Huawei trolls start to show up... (and they will — it’s still very early morning there). 
    Call them the 50 cent army.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 81
    tzeshan said:
    Um...what?!

Are you trying to be funny?
    This was 2018 news. Xinhua has corrected it. 
  • Reply 32 of 81
    redhotfuzzredhotfuzz Posts: 313member
    This news isn’t good for Apple.  It harms Apple’s China business at lot more than it harms Huawei’s US business.
    What is Huawei long-term without Google? Ripping off hardware design/industrial design is easy. But software? What non-Chinese buyer will want a Huawei device with some half-assed Chinese version of Android? Remember Tizen? The combination of “free” (read: stolen) hardware design, free software (Android), and the ability to undercut all competitors in pricing is the only reason Chinese smartphone makers are even a thing. Like nearly all Chinese products, they are cheap counterfeits made viable to the marketplace only by Google/Android. Until now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 81
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Some of the responses to this move by 'TheRealDonald' and Google's subsequent action are truly amazing.

'TheRealDonald' will now threaten Europe, Canada, Australia etc to follow suit. Increases in Tariffs and blacklisting will be his main weapons.

Apple won't escape the fallout. No chance of that. Tim Cook had better get that plant in India ready for iPhone 11 production pronto as it might be that Apple won't be able to import iPhones (or anything) from China because someone with tiny hands may well think that they contain spyware like everything made in the country. That's how trade wars go. Side effects that no one thinks of at the time etc. Laws of unintended Consequences.

I predict Wall St will short APPL big time due to its dependency on China. It remains to be seen if other companies such as Amazon and WalMart get shorted as much after all how much 'tat' do they sell that is made in China eh?

This will get even messier before it gets better.  Next on the hit list will be Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand. All low cost manufacturing countries that depend upon exports for much needed foreign currency.
    Even India could be on the hit list.

A worldwide depression could be on the cards all because of one man with tiny hands. /s
    Carnageluxetlibertas
  • Reply 34 of 81
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    Looks like a number of other major players are taking action too:
    Chipmakers including Intel Corp., Qualcomm Inc.Xilinx Inc. and Broadcom Inc. have told their employees they will not supply Huawei till further notice, according to people familiar with their actions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-19/google-to-end-some-huawei-business-ties-after-trump-crackdown
    Perhaps we'll also see Microsoft pull Windows support as well in the coming days.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 35 of 81
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    This deliberate escalation of US protectionist policy has taken things to a new level.

Without a shred of evidence to support the 'official' line (national security) or the outcome of any trial (other accusations), or the ability to convince allies to follow US 'orders' on Huawei, the US is placing itself on very thin ice.

Now we will have to wait for the Chinese government's response, and given that Trump has thrown everything out of the window, the door is wide open for the Chinese to retaliate in kind.

There are many options on the table and many of them look hideous for Apple.

As if the world didn't know what was really behind Trump's actions:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3010927/chinese-economy-will-not-be-number-one-says-trump

When you act arbitrarily and irrationally others will take note and adjust policy accordingly. Trump's actions will simply accelerate China's ambition in detriment to US global long term interests.

edited May 2019 rotateleftbyteluxetlibertas
  • Reply 36 of 81
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Some of the responses to this move by 'TheRealDonald' and Google's subsequent action are truly amazing.

'TheRealDonald' will now threaten Europe, Canada, Australia etc to follow suit. Increases in Tariffs and blacklisting will be his main weapons.

Apple won't escape the fallout. No chance of that. Tim Cook had better get that plant in India ready for iPhone 11 production pronto as it might be that Apple won't be able to import iPhones (or anything) from China because someone with tiny hands may well think that they contain spyware like everything made in the country. That's how trade wars go. Side effects that no one thinks of at the time etc. Laws of unintended Consequences.

I predict Wall St will short APPL big time due to its dependency on China. It remains to be seen if other companies such as Amazon and WalMart get shorted as much after all how much 'tat' do they sell that is made in China eh?

This will get even messier before it gets better.  Next on the hit list will be Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand. All low cost manufacturing countries that depend upon exports for much needed foreign currency.
    Even India could be on the hit list.

A worldwide depression could be on the cards all because of one man with tiny hands. /s
    I suddenly know who you are!  You are the legendary Alan Greenspan, come out of retirement to
    post in this forum!!

I can’t believe we didn’t see it before!
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 81
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It seems huge. But our software and probably HW as well is full of backdoors and only difference is that on Chinese side we know who is that devil. There is many agents working in major software project just none knows who orders them. It is number of years there was article about intentional backdoor in some core of some important software component. Do not want to tell nonsense so I am just vague as I do not remember.
    True is that when we can choose we prefer devil we know from one we do not.

But at the end I did short search and found more interesting articles:

edited May 2019
  • Reply 38 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Building walls and building barriers. Welcome to 2019. You’ll never scratch that itch, btw.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Folio said:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned latest CNBC piece on Google, collecting details from your purchase receipts sent via gmail. (While I assumed they still culled meta data, I thought they vowed to stop reading the internals.) If true, this may be the straw to make me cut gmail to minimum. Most of family still uses as primary link. Maybe tmrow AI and gator will address.
    There's nothing to that CNBC article. Google has reiterated that they aren't "reading" your emails or using the data for advertising. They scan every email to identify if it's spam or not. If it's not spam, it then gets put into folders/tagged based on the contents using an algorithm. The tags you can already see, if your gmail looks like mine, is Social and Promotions. Another of those tags is purchases. Until recently, Inbox was the better version of Gmail and showed you your purchases and allowed you to track delivery straight from your inbox. That is gone since Inbox was abandoned but my guess is that it'll be integrated into Gmail soon like snoozing etc was. No one is reading your email, none of the contents are being sent to a third party. It's barely any different to being able to sort your email based on who the sender was.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 81
    This is just capricious use of power by Trump, unworthy of support. There doesn't seem to be any proof of misconduct by Huawei. Strategically it will backfire for the US as China will now be forced to cut its dependency on US technology. Apple already was hurt by the beginnings of a soft boycot in China. This will probably make it worse. Even other countries will now think twice about being dependent on the US for anything at all. And it isn't that Europe, Japan, Canada and others weren't warned earlier. But Trump will not be around in office anymore when the US will feel all the negative effects.