Lutron's Aurora dimmer for Philips Hue lighting installs over a light switch

Posted:
in iPhone
Lutron on Monday launched a new dimmer, the Aurora, intended exclusively for Philips Hue smartbulbs that clips on over an existing light switch.

Lutron Aurora

The Aurora replaces any wall-mounted toggle switch in a process that should take just 2 minutes, Lutron claimed. The entire battery-powered assembly installs over a light switch, locking the underlying toggle in an "on" position.

Tapping the dimmer turns connected Hue lights on and off, while rotating it adjusts brightness. Lights should continue to be controllable via the Hue app, Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, and any other compatible smarthome platform.

Owing partly to its omnipresence in the broader lighting industry, Philips is one of the most popular and widely-supported smartbulb makers.

The Aurora ships in June, but can be preordered from the Philips website for $39.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    It really doesn’t make any sense that anyone should have this problem to begin with. If you have wall switches, you have no business using Philips Hue. There are several far more appropriate ways to achieve smart home lighting without nuking a useful wall switch. 
    beowulfschmidtJWSCtechgirl10
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    It really doesn’t make any sense that anyone should have this problem to begin with. If you have wall switches, you have no business using Philips Hue. There are several far more appropriate ways to achieve smart home lighting without nuking a useful wall switch. 
    If you don't have a neutral wire, you can use one $70 Lutron switch that doesn't require it -- but you're cut off from the rest. This is a decent solution for that.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Could you elaborate? There are plenty of problems that I've had trying to find a good solution, e.g. Hue is perfect for my floor/desk lamps that I can now control and dim from a a more conveniently placed battery-operated dimmer. My front outdoor Hue is on a sensor so I don't need to touch the switch and the back outdoor one is on a timer in case I forget forget to turn it off. But my other Hue bulbs have the frustrating lack of a wife-proof wall switch issue. What is the alternative that can incorporate all of these things? I've still never seen any well-reviewed and moderately priced wall switches, especially that work on lights with switches in two places.

edit: I should mention I live in Europe, where as far as I know Lutron doesn't exist. Looks like I can't even get this clunky workaround let alone any of their other better products.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macwhizmacwhiz Posts: 18member
    Unless you can't change the wall switch, because you live in an apartment. Change the wiring, no; change the cover plate, yes.

Or you want the wall switch to control more than just the lights it's hardwired to.

Or you want smart lights that do more than just dim, which is what you get with a smart hardwired wall switch like Lutron Casetá. And you'd rather not have a blank plate over the spot where your wall switch used to be, plus a Philips remote stuck to the wall next to it...

This is a brilliant product. It's not for everyone, but it definitely serves a need and fulfills a hole in Philips' lineup.
    hmurchisonseanjlolliverkurai
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,320member
    If you don't have a neutral wire, you can use one $70 Lutron switch that doesn't require it -- but you're cut off from the rest. This is a decent solution for that.
    I wanted to control some outside lights with a WiFi smart switch but you need separate wire pairs going to the source and to the load. It would be nice to have a solution similar to this to avoid having to deal with the drywall. The easiest solution I have thought of so far would be to put the actual switch in the attic where all the wires are easily accessible and just place a remote control on the wall where the switch normally goes.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    [...] But my other Hue bulbs have the frustrating lack of a wife-proof wall switch issue.[...]
    “Wife-proof”??
  • Reply 7 of 13
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    There is something wrong with that picture. The wall plate screws are not in the right location.

Anyway, doesn't work for me because I have Decora switches not the old fashion type toggle switches.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    macmarcusmacmarcus Posts: 84member
    volcan said:
    There is something wrong with that picture. The wall plate screws are not in the right location.

Anyway, doesn't work for me because I have Decora switches not the old fashion type toggle switches.
    Th picture shows a way oversized cover plate and a small hand... makes for an odd picture for sure. Almost creepy like.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

This viewpoint is a tad simplistic.   You have to see the setup video to see the ease and power.   Because it's Zigbee based you are not limited to just one Load.   You can pair up to 10 lights I believe on a single switch and control them all with the rotary knob.   So you could essentially control all the lamps in a room or all the in-celing bulbs. 

It really does solve a couple of issue.  I'll probably grab one for my Patio lights since I still have Toggles.  
    lolliverkurai
  • Reply 10 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    If you have wall switches, you have no business using Philips Hue.
    This is just a plain dumbass compounded by head fully inserted up ass FUD statement. The switch isn't nuked, just irrelevant, if left alone in the On position. This switch conveniently offers a range of dimming for those who have housemates who continually subvert the operation.

volcan said:
    No, they're not.

volcan said:
    Thank you for your contribution.

This viewpoint is a tad simplistic. 
    You, sir, are a diplomat of the highest order. That which you generously call a viewpoint is far, far worse than simplistic.

I agree the Aurora solves some issues. It's far more convenient than the Hue four button 'wall' dimmer. I'll grab one and repurpose the Hue dimmer, which looks out of place in its current location. If the Aurora can be adapted to work with a different face plate as well, I'll use another one for a another room.
    edited May 2019 hmurchisonkurai
  • Reply 11 of 13

macmarcus said:
    Th picture shows a way oversized cover plate and a small hand... makes for an odd picture for sure. Almost creepy like.
    That looks like a young child's hand. It shows, intentionally or unintentionally, how easy it is to adjust brightness. 'So easy – a child could do it...' A youngster would need some training, patience, and some degree of fine motor skills to operate the four button Hue offering. Doable, but it would take some training.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    techgirl10techgirl10 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have been using a Flic smart button with my Phillips hue and it has been great for now, they are launching the 2nd version so its supposed to be even better. I also change my music and the Hue at the same time which is a lot of fun. Looks cool but seems expensive for a light dimmer.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have been using a Flic smart button with my Phillips hue and it has been great for now, they are launching the 2nd version so its supposed to be even better. I also change my music and the Hue at the same time which is a lot of fun. Looks cool but seems expensive for a light dimmer.
    Yeah it's a little pricey. Hue's standard 4 button dimmer is $25. Hue is pretty proud of their kit and I guess Lutron wants a slice.

But it does fill a niche for some people like me. Providing a dimmer in the same place as the wall switch and locking the wall switch on means no learning curve for those who aren't as enthused with home automation as you are. I could wait for a sale or price drop but I probably won't.
    hmurchison