New global smartspeaker data shows Apple's HomePod remains a bit player

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    Siri killed it.

It’s not a hardware problem, Apple’s superior in that regard.

The question is: How do you develop a superior AI without customer data?
    ... Who’s asking the question?  Why? How? Where? ... kind of important.

Smart speakers are more than just about playing music...
    It’s not dead, just laying in wait. 
  • Reply 22 of 49
    stevonstevon Posts: 2member
    I would have purchased 6 or more of these if they could have been hard wired. Bluetooth & wifi streaming sucks if you're trying to DJ or perform or compose from a computer. Anyone who wants to run DJ software or Apple's OWN Logic Pro X software and play through a HomePod, simply can't. The audio latency (lag) over wireless makes it impossible. It should have had an AUX in.
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 49
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    I have two at my home workstation on either side of my monitors. Listen to them all day. I will not have Google/Amazon spyware devices in our home.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Moody1940Moody1940 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Love my HomePod!
  • Reply 25 of 49
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    elijahg said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

This is exactly what’s been holding me back from purchasing, at minimum, three HomePods. Until Apple can create multi-user support, no money’s spent. 
    That’s why you have the choices.....theres 4 for $100 speakers out there. Like I said if you cannot afford Apple products stay away from them.....you have the choices. Me I can afford all of them so I have everything new. Period 
    Not sure how the price of the HomePod has anything to do with multi-user support?
    It doesn't. It seemed like Kuyangkoh was simply looking for an excuse to boast by telling everyone (s)he's wealthy. Like you, I thought the placement was awkward and out of place, as it had nothing to do with the quoted comment.
    elijahg
  • Reply 26 of 49
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    elijahg said:
    [...] the accessibility of the controls is still pretty awkward.
    The UI in general is one of the reasons I'm not particularly enamoured of Apple's audio products.

In the case of headphones, where there may not be room for more than a couple of control points, things like triple-click to skip backwards may be forgivable. On a full-size device with plenty of surface area, it's absurd. There's no reason not to include separate buttons for common functions.

Even just double-clicking to skip ahead is a nuisance. About every third or fourth try I wind up pausing playback instead of advancing. I don't know if the device does a poor job of distinguishing between single and double pressing or if I'm just "holding it wrong," but either way it's an unnecessary annoyance when it would be so easy to incorporate separate buttons for each function. That would even allow for a feature I consider a deal-breaker by its absence: FF and REW, so I can back up a bit rather than having to restart a track, or advance to a particular point within a track.

Apple's obsession with minimalism is sometimes to its detriment.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 49
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    If they want to compete globally, they should release it globally.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    mobird said:
    Bigtds mentioned Bluetooth capabilities, could this be opened up with the current hardware that is in place? I believe that Bluetooth 5.0 is already on board. Could a firmware/software update extend the options available to use the HomePod outside of Airplay?
    You would think they would have done it if it were possible. My theory is that the advanced audio processing performed by the speaker adds too much latency to allow bluetooth streaming. Rather then a HomePod mini, I'd rather see a new Apple TV that has HomePod-like listening features. I think an Apple TV is more appropriate for existing stereo systems.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Siri killed it.

Some valid points (who’s asking) but generally no thanks.  It sickens me how Droid fans try to drag voice UI down into gimmickry but assessing how well ‘smart’ speakers answer trivia and give navigation directions(!)  A total distraction from important things like sound quality, music/home control.

Perhaps the market share figures should eliminate the chaff and see where HomePod sits then.
    kruegdude
  • Reply 30 of 49
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

This is exactly what’s been holding me back from purchasing, at minimum, three HomePods. Until Apple can create multi-user support, no money’s spent. 
    That’s why you have the choices.....theres 4 for $100 speakers out there. Like I said if you cannot afford Apple products stay away from them.....you have the choices. Me I can afford all of them so I have everything new. Period 
    I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t have a problem affording HomePods, it’s the lack of multi-user support — like I’d said — that’s keeping me from purchasing them. Do people even read and comprehend anymore?!
    bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 31 of 49
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    In terms of unit sales, it's a bit player. In terms of revenue, it's probably a byte player. In terms of profit, it's probably a longword player.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    TuuborTuubor Posts: 53member
    Would buy one for the livingroom if they sold it here in Finland.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

Multi-user support on a HomePod.  What does that mean?
  • Reply 34 of 49
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    JWSC said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

Seriously?!?! You don’t see how a household of 2+ may have different tastes in music and wouldn’t want to mess up theirs or the other person’s play history, or would like the HomePod not to okay their voicemails and such when they aren’t the specific person requesting theirs be read? C’mon…. 😒 I’m disappointed that you even asked. 😔
    muthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 49
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    JWSC said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

The ability for it to recognise individuals speaking to it (like Alexa or Google Home can, not sure which) and handle the request accordingly.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    n2itivguy said:
    JWSC said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

Seriously?!?! You don’t see how a household of 2+ may have different tastes in music and wouldn’t want to mess up theirs or the other person’s play history, or would like the HomePod not to okay their voicemails and such when they aren’t the specific person requesting theirs be read? C’mon…. 😒 I’m disappointed that you even asked. 😔
    No need to get snippy,  We’ve got five people in our household so I’ve disabled vmail on the HomePod.  So I get that.  And I noticed how my wife’s musical preferences have mixed in with my own, which is not great when we like different music.  But I didn’t think this was such a big deal.  But OK.

Have you used these features on Google products?  Do they work well?  Just asking because I don’t think this is anywhere as simple to do effectively as you imply.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    Challenge to those who buy smart speakers ... let's see how many customers are using their Echo Dots and Google Home minis two years after purchase, versus how many are using HomePods.

Apple plays the long game, and has a long tradition of cheaper and crappier rivals taking lots of sales up front. The comeback of the iPad most recently is proof that most consumers eventually come around to better VALUE over PRICE.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    mcdave said:
    Siri killed it.

Some valid points (who’s asking) but generally no thanks.  It sickens me how Droid fans try to drag voice UI down into gimmickry but assessing how well ‘smart’ speakers answer trivia and give navigation directions(!)  A total distraction from important things like sound quality, music/home control.

Perhaps the market share figures should eliminate the chaff and see where HomePod sits then.
    Valid point, HomePod should only be compared to high-end audio smart speakers.  It’s like comparing a regular Fitbit tracker to an Apple Watch...

I love my HomePods, but I rarely use the virtual controls, Siri is much simpler.  I would like to see an App Store for scripts and plugins, but I imagine this in the works.  More native HomeKit options would be great, but shortcuts work for my needs.  I would also like a HP that’s about 4 times taller and packs a punch.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    JWSC said:
    n2itivguy said:
    JWSC said:
    n2itivguy said:
    Siri killed it.

No need to get snippy,  We’ve got five people in our household so I’ve disabled vmail on the HomePod.  So I get that.  And I noticed how my wife’s musical preferences have mixed in with my own, which is not great when we like different music.  But I didn’t think this was such a big deal.  But OK.

Have you used these features on Google products?  Do they work well?  Just asking because I don’t think this is anywhere as simple to do effectively as you imply.
    Yes they do. My wife's music and mine are never mixed up, nor is THANK GOD my son's. Our Google Home's nearly always recognize who is who and keeps our private accounts separate, tho very occasionally not but hasn't yet misidentified any of us and accessed the wrong account.

Now the services connected to it may not be as reliable, Wemo being my current poster child example. At least every once every two weeks or less there will be that evening where Wemo acts like it's not connected to Google Home and I have to go into the Wemo app to use them. Then with nothing changing it works again. Smart homes can be really dumb. 
    JWSCCarnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 49
    kruegdude said:
    Siri killed it.

It’s not dead, just laying in wait. 
    Waiting for some AppleTV- love.