live coverage of war on net using quicktime

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi all.....i am a longtime mac user.....i have been able to see some streaming news from the BBC using realplayer.....it is spotty due to high volumes im guessing.....anyhow.....i have always wondered....and especially now.....why is it so difficult to view streaming media with a mac? By that i mean....CNN does not make it easy....nor most of the other websites.....does anyone know where i can watch some reliable streaming of this war? prefferably with quicktime....thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    blackyblacky Posts: 24member
    oh yeah....i should mention i dont have a tv ....just in case someone wanted to tell me the obvious....thanks again.....
  • Reply 2 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
  • Reply 3 of 16
    thanks...i appreciate that....now if i could only have video too......
  • Reply 4 of 16
    My my my, aren't we demanding!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    well groverat...looks like its just me and you....hey, really, what do you think about the difficulty in getting streaming, or at the very least, video from the news sites.....on a mac that is......why dont they use quicktime? I noticed at the beginning (couple of years ago) they did try quicktime but have gone to realone player or play solely to the windows crowd.....cant apple get something going?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    You can get Real & WiMP on a Mac, I know. I don't really do the streaming thing. I listen to my radio and check http://news.google.com
  • Reply 7 of 16
    no one else has any problem with this? interesting.....
  • Reply 8 of 16
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    doubt it's the main reason, but Apple and SJ have always been pretty pro-Peace, so the paranoid might assume the lack of war on QT is a policy decision

more likely that QuickTime Streaming Server is a little new for major TV networks to have deployed it yet.

Real has a long head start with cross-platform streaming tools and mindshare among many broadcasters.

and given the astronomical fees and/or government control of Internet bandwidth by many states in the Middle East, I wouldn't expect a lot of uplinked webcam footage

transcoding any of the Realplayer or WMP streams would degrade the quality so badly that it would make QT look bad... you'd have to start much higher up the footage food chain to get decent (higher quality and bandwidth) QT streams

not saying it shouldn't be out there... more sources are always desirable... and we all know that QT can do a much better job

take it up with the hosts of the non-QT video. ask apple. maybe there's a sales niche going unfilled.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    enaena Posts: 667member
    If you have OSX, go to Real.com and get their "GoldPass" free for a month.

The BagdadCam is worth checking out (CNN.)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    This live Baghdad feed is better, and it's free.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/videop...ip=LiveWebCast

Been watching it for the last 10 hours or so. Not much interesting since this morning when the Ministry of Planning was hit.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan Cale

This live Baghdad feed is better, and it's free.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/videop...ip=LiveWebCast

Been watching it for the last 10 hours or so. Not much interesting since this morning when the Ministry of Planning was hit.

You need real player for this... so here's a direct link so that you don't have to fill in all that registration crap.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Didn't I hear somewhere that alot of the reporters are using powerbooks in the field out there.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    they are
  • Reply 14 of 16
    hmmm, i wonder how beat up they will look when they get back

and they said on cnn that the reporters on tanks are using some kind of video phones to take all that video. I wonder if they are using commercial ones similar to the ones that are avalible in japan.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I want to find live streams to some of the other cameras set up.