Apple updates 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros with new Intel chips, enhanced butterfly keyboa...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 120
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    They keyboard fix is probably in software. 
    No, I read that it uses a new material.
  • Reply 22 of 120
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    I wonder if they tweaked the T2 to address this? 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/19/pro-audio-glitch-with-t2-equipped-macs-connected-to-usb-20-connections

(This delayed my MBP purchase earlier this year:)

This is probably a software issue. I haven't heard much about it recently. Maybe AI can do an update on the latest news.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 23 of 120
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    arizrngr said:
    Is APPLE going to provide a service to upgrade 2018 MACBOOK PRO's purchased prior to this announcement?
    Ahhh...no. It’s a lot more than simply swapping out the CPU.
    jeffharris
  • Reply 24 of 120
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/19/pro-audio-glitch-with-t2-equipped-macs-connected-to-usb-20-connections

Thought that got fixed in 10.14.5?
  • Reply 25 of 120
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    frantisek said:
    Does it means Apple can use now low power DDR4 memory?
    In theory, but it doesn't.
    I wonder why Apple would not choose to use low power RAM now that the CPUs support it? Does anyone know if that would require a significant redesign or retooling? Are LP and regular RAM modules interchangeable? It just seems weird that a company so focussed on battery life would not take advantage of an opportunity to extend it. Apple took the time to update other parts of the machine -- keyboard and T2 -- I can't get my head around why they'd leave that old compromise in place.

Maybe we'll see a new model in the fall that addresses this. I hope so.

I love the extra cores though! Yum.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 26 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Third or fourth revision for a keyboard design Apple imply has basically no issues? They are being too proud here. Scrap the shitty design and go back to keyboards with some travel and with higher reliability.
    dysamoriaviclauyycright_said_fredmwhitebennettvistastompypropod
  • Reply 27 of 120
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    frantisek said:
    None of the new chips mentioned support LP-DDR4.
  • Reply 28 of 120
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    [... ] Apart from addressing Pro-users' voracious appetites for processing performance, the newly revamped MacBook Pro models also address keyboard issues that have continued to dog Apple's butterfly keyboard design.

The company has maintained that its butterfly design is used without problem by the vast majority of its users and that its notebooks achieve overall quality levels that are the best it has ever delivered. However, it has worked to continued to improve the design of its ultra slim butterfly mechanism so as to substantially reduce issues users may experience with unresponsive or double-typing keys.
    Talk is cheap. Show me what's been done. Explain how it's better. Show me the testing methods used to weed out lemons.

Knowing that only a small number of users are affected is only comforting to shareholders, not the few who drew a bad unit in the keyboard lottery. After two and a half years of putting up with a dysfunctional keyboard on the most expensive computer I've ever owned, it's gonna take more than a promise to make me drop over $5000 on the same fundamental design again. Even if I really, really do want an 8-core i9 burning a hole in my jeans (and my wallet).
    tyler82
  • Reply 29 of 120
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I'd never buy one with that stupid Touch Bar.
    kestraldysamoriamwhiteburnside
  • Reply 30 of 120
    NICE!!!
    Just as my late 2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina is struggling with OS X 10.13!
    It just crashed for some mysterious reason. I was out of my office for 20 minutes, came back to the grey screen of death. Very reassuring.

I'd LOVE the i9 octo-core, but wonder if it has thermal issues similar to the 2018.
    I guess I'll wait for some hands-on reviews before biting the bullet.
    After the firmware/bios update for the 2018, the 2018 is performing exactly as required 2.9 on all cores under load.With that being said, I would definitely wait to see how the 9980hk pans out thermal wise assuming the HSF stays the same and seeing how the desktop 9900k is a portable oven and runs much hotter than the 8700k/8086k.
  • Reply 31 of 120
    Will AI be testing the new hardware for the T2 BridgeOS crashing issue? I had 3 SKUs with the crashing issue last summer and Apple after 6 months let me return the machine. I ended up getting a mid-2017 15” model and haven’t had any crashing issues. It looks like the 2019s use the same T2. I’m curious to know if BridgeOS is any more stable on new hardware. 
  • Reply 32 of 120
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Desktop power? What, for a few minutes until the thing has to throttle so as not to self-destruct from heat?
  • Reply 33 of 120
    I'm waiting for Intels ICE lake cpu to go into the macbook pro, this is like the G3 1999 - before the G4 2000.... I guess I'm waiting another year... http://zerohurt.blogspot.com/2019/05/intel-ice-lake-cpus-shipping-this-june.html
  • Reply 34 of 120
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    arizrngr said:
    Is APPLE going to provide a service to upgrade 2018 MACBOOK PRO's purchased prior to this announcement?
    If you bought it within the last two weeks, you can take advantage of Apple's normal return policy. Other than that, you can get part of your investment back by trading in your 2018. Apple is offering significantly more for my 2016 MBP than Gazelle is.
  • Reply 35 of 120
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    frantisek said:
    In theory, but it doesn't.
    I wonder why Apple would not choose to use low power RAM now that the CPUs support it? Does anyone know if that would require a significant redesign or retooling? Are LP and regular RAM modules interchangeable? It just seems weird that a company so focussed on battery life would not take advantage of an opportunity to extend it. Apple took the time to update other parts of the machine -- keyboard and T2 -- I can't get my head around why they'd leave that old compromise in place.

Maybe we'll see a new model in the fall that addresses this. I hope so.

I love the extra cores though! Yum.
    LPDDR4 is not the same as DDR4, and is only, unfortunately, inconveniently named similarly. It is not a simple drop-in.
    frantisek
  • Reply 36 of 120

Will AI be testing the new hardware for the T2 BridgeOS crashing issue? I had 3 SKUs with the crashing issue last summer and Apple after 6 months let me return the machine. I ended up getting a mid-2017 15” model and haven’t had any crashing issues. It looks like the 2019s use the same T2. I’m curious to know if BridgeOS is any more stable on new hardware. 
    None of our T2 machines in testing or across the staff has the problem, all bought at retail. However, for unpatched systems prior to 10.14.5, we believe it is somehow related to peripheral drivers at this time.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 37 of 120

jdb8167 said:

This is probably a software issue. I haven't heard much about it recently. Maybe AI can do an update on the latest news.
    It actually appears more related to USB-C not liking how the USB 2.0 protocol delivers power to peripherals.
  • Reply 38 of 120
    apple ][ said:
    Is hyperthreading still a thing?

Does the 8 core model have 16 virtual cores?
    Yes.
  • Reply 39 of 120
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I guess I’ll be keeping my 2015 MBP for another year then. :(
    burnsidekestral
  • Reply 40 of 120
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Still waiting for an actual new machine. 
    kestral