Apple summoning media to WWDC 2019 keynote with unicorn emoji invites

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
Apple has started to send out invitations to members of the media to attend the keynote address of WWDC 2019, an event that typically has Apple providing a first look at operating system updates and features it will be releasing later in the year.

Apple will be holding its Worldwide Developer Conference from June 3 at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, with the keynote address being the main highlight of the entire conference for many observers. Due to its importance, Apple also invites select members of the media to attend and see what the iPhone producer is announcing up close.

Invitations to the media started to arrive on Wednesday, 12 days before the start of the conference. The invitation specifically advises the person is "invited to the keynote address at our annual Worldwide Developers Conference."

The media invites follow a similar design as those who applied for the ticket lottery in March, featuring an Animoji head with items exploding out from above, drawn in a neon light style. Whereas previous header images featured the robot, skull, alien, and monkey, the latest version uses the unicorn, again with the item-explosion motif.

Current speculation tentatively has Apple considering a reveal of the Mac Pro and an expansion of its "Project Marzipan" to make it easier to develop apps across iOS and macOS.

For iOS 13, it is thought to include new Health features alongside an updated Screen Time, iMessage alterations, and new Apple Books, and possibly a "Dark Mode." Speculation for macOS 10.15 includes a culling of QuickTime 7 and QuickTime plugins, Carbon, and Ink, and the end of 32-bit application support, as well as the introduction of Siri Shortcuts and standalone Music, Podcasts, and TV apps.

AppleInsider will be at the WWDC, with continuing coverage before, during, and after the keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Unicorn.... It must mean they are going to release the new Mac Pro. Something else I've wondered if it really existed. /s
    spice-boytenthousandthingspscooter63StrangeDayschasmbigpicsJWSCdewmemattinozSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Keynote is at what time on June 3? 
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    cyberzombiecyberzombie Posts: 258member
    If past events are a predictor, then 10am PDT...
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Lost in the mail of mine again?
    edited May 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I predicted a Unicorn was in development when they built that rainbow stage. 
    bigpicsJWSCDAalseth
  • Reply 6 of 22
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...and perhaps a 17" mbp...?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    No.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but no, that's not happening. The MBPs just got updated literally yesterday, I don't think you should expect a new one in a week (of any size). Ming-Chi Kuo predicted what sounded essentially like a 15-inch body with a more-borderless screen to make it a 16-point-something-incher. Maybe that will happen, but now it seems unlikely to appear this year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    DAalseth said:
    Unicorn.... It must mean they are going to release the new Mac Pro. Something else I've wondered if it really existed. /s
    My first thought exactly... ...the long-rumored, said-to-be-mythical-by-some modular Mac Pro.....

chasm said:
    No. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but no, that's not happening. The MBPs just got updated literally yesterday, I don't think you should expect a new one in a week (of any size). Ming-Chi Kuo predicted what sounded essentially like a 15-inch body with a more-borderless screen to make it a 16-point-something-incher. Maybe that will happen, but now it seems unlikely to appear this year.
    If a sixteen (?) incher with a newly engineered scissors keyboard (?) is coming, and it seems to be (with whatever modifications from the current gens), it could be by the end of the year. But yesterday's releases seem enough to hold the fort for the nonce - I was momentarily moved because I've been waiting ever since keygate began, but I can go another 6-12 months at this point - and I'm betting that if the new machine's on the way, it will wait for compatibility with newer low power RAM.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Apple introduces 300 new emojis, teens go wild. 
    JWSCdewme
  • Reply 10 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    spice-boy said:
    Emojis are introduced by the Unicode Consortium.  Apple implements them. 
    lollivertycho_macuserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    spice-boy said:
    yes I know, just a comment on the Apple supplied image,  thanks anyway
  • Reply 12 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    spice-boy said:
    spice-boy said:
    It's good information though because many here (and other Mac sites) think all Apple does is sit there and design new emoji's for the next version of iOS instead of actually releasing real features. . 
    lollivertycho_macuserfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    rakic90rakic90 Posts: 7member
    iOS 13 is going to be redesigned as much as iOS 7 was, and it‘s going to bring a „Neon-Style“ for OLED displays. All black theme with neon-designed UI.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    DAalseth said:
    Or the Mac Pro is Diamond shaped. That is what casued unicorn head to explode. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Occasionally Apple does something in bad taste, at least for my taste buds. This image of a unicorn feels in bad taste because directly above the head of the unicorn is a mushroom cloud. I'm not a snowflake, but I don't really like nukes being used in ads. This is the internet and so I'm entitled to my opinion. At WWDC 2017 they had this 5 minute opening video where an Apple server room shut down, cars crashed by the dozens, people assaulted each other with golf clubs (apparently an argument over a BnB), petrol trucks exploding, and jokes about the Apocalypse being "nigh" were shown. Why does Apple have this obsession over apocalypses?   I just hope they aren't nuking the new Mac Pro, which may indeed be what the unicorn means.
    mpw_amherstmitchelljd
  • Reply 16 of 22
    macxpress said:
    spice-boy said:
    spice-boy said:
    It's good information though because many here (and other Mac sites) think all Apple does is sit there and design new emoji's for the next version of iOS instead of actually releasing real features. . 
    Yup, that's what I was aiming at. In fact I think I recall here on AI someone after the WWDC keynote for iOS 12 was like "So Animoji? What the hell have they been doing?" and completely ignored the rest of the hour-long presentation on iOS. 
  • Reply 17 of 22

Occasionally Apple does something in bad taste, at least for my taste buds. This image of a unicorn feels in bad taste because directly above the head of the unicorn is a mushroom cloud. I'm not a snowflake, but I don't really like nukes being used in ads. This is the internet and so I'm entitled to my opinion. At WWDC 2017 they had this 5 minute opening video where an Apple server room shut down, cars crashed by the dozens, people assaulted each other with golf clubs (apparently an argument over a BnB), petrol trucks exploding, and jokes about the Apocalypse being "nigh" were shown. Why does Apple have this obsession over apocalypses?   I just hope they aren't nuking the new Mac Pro, which may indeed be what the unicorn means.
    What a downer, you must be fun at parties. It's a unicorn Animoji exploding with all the things that make up the apps and what not we use on our devices (Metal, Appkit stuff, blah blah). It's not meant to mean it's being "nuked". 

Apocalyptic would be if Apple did the Daisy ad but ended with an Apple logo:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Geez, the way the article says it.... "reveal" of the new MAC PRO.  WTF. its been 6+ years since a real update.  

Time for a reveal was 5 years ago.  now? it's pathetic.   Time for the new Mac Pro to hit MARKET. not another bogus tease.  

• Reply 19 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Geez, the way the article says it.... "reveal" of the new MAC PRO.  WTF. its been 6+ years since a real update.  

Time for a reveal was 5 years ago.  now? it's pathetic.   Time for the new Mac Pro to hit MARKET. not another bogus tease.  

Apple blew the Mac Pro and have failed to course correct for so long that many video and design production houses switched to PCs, which is a bloody shame.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member

What a downer, you must be fun at parties. It's a unicorn Animoji exploding with all the things that make up the apps and what not we use on our devices (Metal, Appkit stuff, blah blah). It's not meant to mean it's being "nuked". 

Apocalyptic would be if Apple did the Daisy ad but ended with an Apple logo:

Nice clip. Thanks for sharing it. You're entitled to your opinion. I respect your opinion, and I respect you as a human. Good thing I didn't mention that it looked like the mushroom cloud was coming out of the unicorn's open skull, like a scene from a Hannibal movie. 

P.S. I've never been to a party. I can't imagine what they would do at parties that I would enjoy. Drink alcohol? Drugs? Rock N Roll?

P.S. Good thing I didn't mention the horn looks more like a carrot than any real horn.