Fresh App Store monopoly lawsuit arrives after US Supreme Court ruling

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    jungmark said:
    rcfa said:
    About time!
    Can’t mix walled garden with selective access, or else it turns into regulating speech and commerce in a time where things increasingly happen on the smartphone.
    No single company can be allowed to be gatekeeper to an entire market.
    The iPhone isn’t the entire market. Just like BMW isn’t an entire market.  Remember Android is “winning”. 
    Last I heard was that Android was winning in marketshare, and they allow almost everything in their store no matter what, so Apple's App Store doesn't have a monopoly and Apple is not the gatekeeper to the entire smartphone market.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member
    Let’s make sure we forget how much software cost before the App Store so that we can then accuse Apple of inflating prices with their unfairly obtained monopoly of their own product.
    wonkothesaneAppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    bizzare said:
    If SCOTUS does break up the App Store the way it exists today, the new App Store will become fee based. 
    A more costly system. 

Cavanue is not that smart after all...
    You can’t even spell his name?
  • Reply 24 of 58
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    Johan42 said:
    I’d like to be able to install apps or third-party app stores without having to jump through so many hoops (just to have said app/stores certificates revoked a day later).

I hope they lose this lawsuit.
    That’s the jail break community. You’re free to go that route, so…
    LordeHawk
  • Reply 25 of 58
    rcfa said:
    About time!
    Can’t mix walled garden with selective access, or else it turns into regulating speech and commerce in a time where things increasingly happen on the smartphone.

Welcome to the ignore list, troll.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 26 of 58
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    rcfa said:
    About time!
    Hardly “an entire market”. Apples market share is modest at best. 
    stompy
  • Reply 27 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Johan42 said:
    jungmark said:

Johan42 said:
    I’d like to be able to install apps or third-party app stores without having to jump through so many hoops (just to have said app/stores certificates revoked a day later).

Johan42 said:

Go to Android then. No hoops there. 
    No, Mr. Junkmarg.
    Clever, Joke42. You knew the App Store was controlled prior to getting an iPhone. if that bothered you that much, sell your iPhone. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 28 of 58
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    rcfa said:
    About time!
    Here are just some stores that are gatekeepers of the products that are sold at there.

Bargain Hunt
    Ben Franklin
    Bi-Mart
    Big Lots
    BJ's Wholesale Club
    Burlington Coat Factory
    Costco
    Dd's Discounts
    Dollar General
    Dollar Tree
    Family Dollar
    Five Below
    Fred's
    Fred Meyer
    Gabe's
    Gordmans
    Harbor Freight Tools
    HomeGoods
    HomeSense
    Kmart
    Marshalls
    Meijer
    National Stores
    Ocean State Job Lot
    Ollie's Bargain Outlet
    Renys
    Roses
    Ross Stores
    Shopko
    Stein Mart
    Target
    T.J. Maxx
    Tuesday Morning
    Walmart
    Sam's Club

Those are many stores where I could buy many kinds of things, like milk.  All brands and flavors of milk.

Now Apple:

AppStore: here is your one kind of milk. And it is 2% because we have determined it is best for you. And there are no other stores you can get compatible milk because we've genetically engineered you that way.

See the difference?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    jungmark said:
    “The 30% take is "mostly profit," and would be "substantially less in an otherwise competitive market," the suit alleges.”

Profit isn’t against the law. If Apple to forced to take a lessor cut, so long free apps. 
    That does not take into account development, marketing, customer service, credit card processing, upgrades, security maintenance, hosting of apps and their data and the list goes on. The free apps use the same resources and any company that builds their own platform and markets to build their own customer base do not need to signup through the APP store. They can provide a free app. There is always the option of using web apps. They still work like on the first iPhone before the AppStore. The just can’t use all the Apple created technologies that allow the native apps to do safely what they do. 
  • Reply 30 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Who are these anti-American fascists filing suit against Apple, attempting to tell Apple what they can or can't do in their own app store?

It's not a monopoly by any stretch of the definition. If somebody doesn't like it, then go use something else. Use whatever you want, nobody cares. Apple will be just fine without you as a customer.

If I decide to open a grocery store tomorrow, then should customers be allowed to make demands and to dictate how I run my business if my store doesn't carry a certain brand of Grape Soda, and there's a certain lunatic customer who demands that I carry it and they decide to sue me?

Hell no. My business, my rules. I decide what products my store will carry or not carry and I decide how my store will be run. If anybody else disagrees, then they are free to bugger off.
    edited May 2019 radarthekatAppleExposed
  • Reply 31 of 58
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    rcfa said:
    About time!
    Please tell me you’re joking.....

What market is Apple being a gatekeeper?  You will probably say Apple products or iPhone, but everyone knows Android has the largest market share.  Then you will realize that gate keeping is not someone’s ignorant ramblings, but a safe, secure, and profitable store.  It presents shoppers with a vast catalogue at manufacturer set pricing, there’s even a very large free section.  This secure store provides piece of mind, shoppers return to spend more money, and manufacturers want to be in the store.  Leading to more options, competition and features.  Apple does collect a percentage from the manufacturer at the time of sale to maintain the store, reinvest into the store and support the parent company’s product development.
    Good thing there are other stores to shop at and lots of cheap vehicles to get there in...

I love that my new luxury vehicle (device if you’re not following) includes access to this exclusive store.  I can shop care free knowing that Apple verified every items authenticity, and if anything bad slips through, they can remotely destroy it.  They provide free updates, regular promotions, fast checkouts, and unique shopping experiences.  Full disclosure though, for your safety, the vehicles integrity and maintaining free service under warranty, you cannot visit the flea market on the south side.

edited May 2019 radarthekat
  • Reply 32 of 58
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    It seems that I disagree with almost everyone. My view is that I always welcome clarity from the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court doesn't (well, shouldn't) create new laws, it simply adds clarity as to what the law is. If the law is wrong, it's easy enough for Congress to change the law. (I didn't say constitution here because this doesn't seem to be a case citing the constitution.) Whatever the issues is, I always consider it excellent news when the Supreme Court agrees to visit it. If you disagree with that, then I guess you wouldn't want to go to the doctor either to get clarity on what your disease is. Both the courts and physicians are interested in getting to the truth, and I welcome all truth even if it's bad news.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Unfortunately high tech companies are now the "evil one's" in govt eyes. Europe and to a lesser extent the US is going after them. It's complete BS and will only hurt the consumer they're "trying to protect.". However, Apple needs to be ready for this and have a strategy going forward for this. 
  • Reply 34 of 58
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    majorsl said:
    rcfa said:
    About time!
    Here are just some stores that are gatekeepers of the products that are sold at there.

Bargain Hunt
    Ben Franklin
    Bi-Mart
    Big Lots
    BJ's Wholesale Club
    Burlington Coat Factory
    Costco
    Dd's Discounts
    Dollar General
    Dollar Tree
    Family Dollar
    Five Below
    Fred's
    Fred Meyer
    Gabe's
    Gordmans
    Harbor Freight Tools
    HomeGoods
    HomeSense
    Kmart
    Marshalls
    Meijer
    National Stores
    Ocean State Job Lot
    Ollie's Bargain Outlet
    Renys
    Roses
    Ross Stores
    Shopko
    Stein Mart
    Target
    T.J. Maxx
    Tuesday Morning
    Walmart
    Sam's Club

Those are many stores where I could buy many kinds of things, like milk.  All brands and flavors of milk.

Now Apple:

AppStore: here is your one kind of milk. And it is 2% because we have determined it is best for you. And there are no other stores you can get compatible milk because we've genetically engineered you that way.

See the difference?
    No difference, you are actually an idiot.

There’s not one kind of milk, but there are millions of apps on the App Store.  What reason is there to confuse consumers, reduce security, and erode privacy?  Apple didn’t decide our milk, but they did build the technologies, devices, platforms, marketplaces and services that the world copied.  You can’t copy your way into the walled garden.  Developers decide what apps to submit to the App Store and at what price to sell them.  The customer can switch to a different phone option if that is important to them.

You will need to excuse Apple, they’re busy researching new things for you to complain about.
    edited May 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 35 of 58
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Would love to see Apple countersue for tens of millions of dollars for this frivolous lawsuit.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 36 of 58
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    rcfa said:
    About time!

You missed the "/s" in your post, right?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 37 of 58
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    majorsl said:
    rcfa said:
    About time!

Bargain Hunt
    Ben Franklin
    Bi-Mart
    Big Lots
    BJ's Wholesale Club
    Burlington Coat Factory
    Costco
    Dd's Discounts
    Dollar General
    Dollar Tree
    Family Dollar
    Five Below
    Fred's
    Fred Meyer
    Gabe's
    Gordmans
    Harbor Freight Tools
    HomeGoods
    HomeSense
    Kmart
    Marshalls
    Meijer
    National Stores
    Ocean State Job Lot
    Ollie's Bargain Outlet
    Renys
    Roses
    Ross Stores
    Shopko
    Stein Mart
    Target
    T.J. Maxx
    Tuesday Morning
    Walmart
    Sam's Club

Now Apple:

See the difference?

AppStore:

"We give you iCloud Keychain to manage your passwords. You can also use 1Password, LastPass, BearPassword and a few dozen other password managers, if you choose to do so".

Like a supermarket, most apps on the app store have alternatives, including the stock apps.

edited May 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 38 of 58
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    majorsl said:
    rcfa said:
    About time!

Bargain Hunt
    Ben Franklin
    Bi-Mart
    Big Lots
    BJ's Wholesale Club
    Burlington Coat Factory
    Costco
    Dd's Discounts
    Dollar General
    Dollar Tree
    Family Dollar
    Five Below
    Fred's
    Fred Meyer
    Gabe's
    Gordmans
    Harbor Freight Tools
    HomeGoods
    HomeSense
    Kmart
    Marshalls
    Meijer
    National Stores
    Ocean State Job Lot
    Ollie's Bargain Outlet
    Renys
    Roses
    Ross Stores
    Shopko
    Stein Mart
    Target
    T.J. Maxx
    Tuesday Morning
    Walmart
    Sam's Club

Now Apple:

See the difference?
    I’d be interested to hear a lawyer with some knowledge of antitrust law weigh in on movie theaters that don’t allow customers to bring in food.  Will that go away?  Will high end clothing retailers be accused of maintaining high prices because they don’t sell inexpensive items?  The implications for this lawsuit are so broad as to be ludicrous.  
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Will we force Xbox games on the Playstation store? Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo don't allow competing stores on their consoles and they take a hefty fee from every game sold both digital and physical.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 40 of 58
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    iPhone users does not want unsecured App source and insecure platform. Only way to manage is current system of one store with apps checked by Apple.Period.
    Pricing and other things are different topic.
    It is not true monopoly as anyone can leave to Android. It would be good if one can keep paid Apps across platform if is moving.