2019 iPhones again predicted to have three-lens camera, 2020 to have full screen Touch ID

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
Apple could bring back Touch ID along with 5G support in the 2020 iPhone, Barclays analysts predict, with a recent fact-finding trip to meet supply chain firms resulting in expectations about the 2019 iPhones that doesn't seem to suggest anything majorly different from other speculation attempts.

An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro
An early render of the triple camera setup of the 2019 iPhones, via OnLeaks and CashKaro

Analysts are keen to offer their take on what the next generation of iPhones will look like, including the kind of features to expect, activity that is likely to increase as time draws closer to Apple's annual September iPhone event. Those working for Barclays are no exception, and have offered their expectations after discussions with Apple supply chain firms on a recent visit to Asia.

In their expectations, the three 2019 iPhones will be quite similar in terms of design to the 2018 models, with the only real major change being the additional rear camera and the altered camera bump. Production for the models is also expected to begin soon, with manufacturing increasing to capacity between July and August ahead of the official unveiling.

While not an external change, the models will apparently continue a trend seen in the iPhone XR, in removing 3D Touch in favor of Haptic Touch, in a research note provided to MacRumors. The updated equivalent of the iPhone XR will also see an increase in memory from 3GB to 4GB, though it is unclear if this will bring it to the same level as the other two models, or if they will gain more RAM.

Barclays also expressed an interest in what could arrive in 2020, speculating the addition of 5G support and 3D depth sensing capabilities using the rear camera. It is also suggested Apple could bring back Touch ID by taking advantage of acoustic fingerprinting to turn the entire display into a fingerprint reader, something that has been featured in a few patent applications by the company.

There is also some discussion of a second-generation iPhone SE that has the same internals as the iPhone 8. While "a few suppliers" pointed to an early 2020 launch, others reportedly did not have knowledge about the supposed smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    As somebody that loves how fast and easy Touch ID is,  this rumor sounds cool.
    designr
  • Reply 2 of 26
    PhillyJimPhillyJim Posts: 13member
    Dear Apple:

That camera bump assembly on the back is hideous! Probably the main reason I won’t upgrade this year. The iPhone takes incredible pictures already. Why are you are so obsessed with photography when there’s so many other things that can be improved like making augmented reality more useful than just putting a dinosaur on the table.  See you in 2020.
    chemenginchemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    There is also some discussion of a second-generation iPhone SE that has the same internals as the iPhone 8.” horseshit
    DAalseth
  • Reply 4 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    “There is also some discussion of a second-generation iPhone SE that has the same internals as the iPhone 8.” horseshit
    It may be confusing. Sorry, another iPhone SE not going to happen but there is rumor that with more recent internal hardware, camera etc updated in iPhone 8 frame could be available in spring 2020. About full screen TouchID, possible in future but for 2020 it is wild rumor because another rumor says Apple trying to update FaceID and shrink notch bit.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 5 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    This fall I plan on trading in my 6S Plus. Biggest concern so far? Is the glass as abrasion proof as the 6S Plus glass? Anyone?

How’s the glass on the XS models?
    chemengin
  • Reply 6 of 26
    I'd upgrade for the Touch ID alone. While Face ID has it's good points there are several instances where it's worse. With my glasses off it only works about 50% of the time. In a meeting I cannot unobtrusively touch the screen and glance down at the phone. I have to haul it up in front of my face. Apple Pay is also better with Touch ID. IMO the combination is ideal. 
  • Reply 7 of 26
    tht said:
    This fall I plan on trading in my 6S Plus. Biggest concern so far? Is the glass as abrasion proof as the 6S Plus glass? Anyone?

I don't think Gorilla Glass has gotten any worse in the years since the 6 series release.  If anything, it's much better.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    PhillyJim said:
    Dear Apple:

That camera bump assembly on the back is hideous! Probably the main reason I won’t upgrade this year. The iPhone takes incredible pictures already. Why are you are so obsessed with photography when there’s so many other things that can be improved like making augmented reality more useful than just putting a dinosaur on the table.  See you in 2020.
    Google's computational photography is widely believed to be without equal, they are wooping butt, and with just one sensor that isn't even custome designed too, so that's not a good look for a company so used to being regarded as having the best camera on a smartphone.

I have a theory that Jony is preemptively making space of future 3D stuff thats not ready yet and getting people used to the shape  
  • Reply 9 of 26
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    tht said:

My iPhone Xs Max has never had a case on it and still does not have mark on it But then neither does my iPad Pro 12.9" with no case.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Apple patents everything.  

Full screen Touch ID?  Never going to happen. Would add way too much volume for almost no payback. 

Appearance of a patent doesn’t mean it will ever make it to a product. If anything, the only interest in this would be getting rid of the “chin”  

Face ID is superior in every way. The notch is a branding feature now. It may get narrower, but it’s probably going to stay for a while. 
  • Reply 11 of 26
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    I hope front of phones will look different in future as Apple and others are working on hiding some elements currently in notch under display. So hopefully notch will become smaller or will disappear in time at all. And it is my long time hope for small bezeless phone with screen TouchID.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    PhillyJim said:
    Dear Apple:

Riiiiight. You have an old iPhone and need to upgrade it, but are not going to upgrade to better pictures (which last forever) and whatever functionality the third lens is for (AR?) because you don't like the camera bump. Sounds legit. 

• Reply 13 of 26

I'd upgrade for the Touch ID alone. While Face ID has it's good points there are several instances where it's worse. With my glasses off it only works about 50% of the time. In a meeting I cannot unobtrusively touch the screen and glance down at the phone. I have to haul it up in front of my face. Apple Pay is also better with Touch ID. IMO the combination is ideal. 
    Disagree, Apple Pay is no different with FaceID vs TouchID -- you can still prime the pump by double-clicking the side button as you remove the iPhone from your pocket and move it toward the NFC POS terminal. By the time it is there it's scanning for your face and completes the transaction. No time penalty.

TouchID:
    - touch sensor 
    - place on POS

FaceID:
    - double-click side button
    - place on POS

...same number of steps in either use case. Sometimes people think they have to wait for it to ask for your face or whatever, but you don't.
  • Reply 14 of 26

holyone said:
    PhillyJim said:
    Dear Apple:

Google's computational photography is widely believed to be without equal, they are wooping butt, and with just one sensor that isn't even custome designed too, so that's not a good look for a company so used to being regarded as having the best camera on a smartphone. 
    And video is considered better on the iPhone. Especially low-light video. These are both primary use cases of a camera.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Without having upcoming iphone in hand and give opinion based on picture is pathetic. To me from even picture of back camera area looks pretty symytrical.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    2old4fun said:
    tht said:

My iPhone Xs Max has never had a case on it and still does not have mark on it But then neither does my iPad Pro 12.9" with no case.
    Marco Arment said the iPhone X model has cover glass that is more easily scratched. Maybe Apple revved the glass material in the XS models, which is good.

My iPad Pro 10.5” is also pristine too. All these devices feel great with cases. The thinness matters. Hopefully to find a good bumper for the 2019 iPhone models. Protects the edges, but you can feel the thinness of the device.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    PhillyJim said:
    Dear Apple:

Why do you guys take rumors as fact?

Never understood this.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    PhillyJim said:
    Dear Apple:

Why do you guys take rumors as fact?

Never understood this.
    There's quite a bit of eventual truth in these rumors, the are many things that were rumored for the iP X that we're made months in advanced which ended up being true, they serve as a fair guide for what is coming as its proved to be impossible for any tech company to keep any thing secret anymore. s 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    berndogberndog Posts: 90member
    Is the notch still here!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    I hope not. That thing is so damn ugly.
    waverboychemengin1