Huawei tossed from SD Association, Wi-Fi Alliance, RAM spec group

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
Compounding Huawei's woes, the Chinese company has been removed not just from the Wi-Fi Alliance, and RAM spec controller JEDEC, but also from the SD Association, preventing it from offering official SD/microSD support in future devices.

SanDisk microSD

The Association attributed the removal to the Trump administration' srecent orders involving national security, according to Nikkei. The White House has argued that equipment from Huawei and fellow Chinese firm ZTE could potentially lead to backdoors in American networks, given links to the Chinese government.

Many partners have had to sever ties with Huawei due to both an executive order and the firm being added to an "Entity List," preventing it from buying from U.S. suppliers without a license. These include ARM, Google, Intel, Broadcom, Qualcomm, and others.

The U.S. did recently offer Huawei a reprieve, albeit temporary.

Meanwhile the Wi-Fi Alliance has "temporarily restricted" Huawei's membership, and the company has voluntarily split from JEDEC, a semiconductor standards organization.

The situation has left Huawei scrambling to find alternatives, and vowing to try and lift restrictions if possible. It also worsened the ongoing U.S.-China trade war, with China refusing to talk again unless the U.S. reverses course.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    OUCH! That’s going to leave a mark. 
    StrangeDaysmagman1979JWSCanantksundaramn2itivguycornchipThrashmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 55
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    mac_dog said:
    The possible retaliation has the potential to  wreck havoc on our entire economy. 
    dysamoriaspice-boy
  • Reply 3 of 55
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    The possible retaliation has the potential to  wreck havoc on our entire economy. 
    One knockoff manufacturer will do nothing, unless you mean retaliation which will hurt both parties.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 55
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    However justified the suspicion , lord Dampnuts just made it clear that he’s using Huawei as a hostage to try to extort trade concessions from China. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48392021 He said something similar about the Huawei CFO that they are trying to extradite from Canada.
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoriaavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Few questions to ponder for huawei haters in this forum:
    1. If trump gets a better trade deal from China, would that automatically exonerate huawei of all these security threats posed by them???
    2. When it actually happens, what would be your reaction???
    3. If ip theft by Chinese companies is your real concern, then why are you not asking the question to trump administration - "why huawei alone? What about the likes of xiaomi, bbk sub brands Oppo/vivo/one plus??? Are they all saints?"
    4. What is the real issue with China and huawei? Is it Trade imbalance? Or Security? They are both mutually exclusive. If security is an issue, what about ZTE?

Is the bigger picture really being looked at by trump supporters in this forum??? As a neutral person from a different country, it does not look like so to me. 
    edited May 2019 dysamoriarcfaspice-boyluxetlibertas9secondkox2n2itivguyavon b7caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 55
    This news explains why huawei came up with a new memory expansion option (which nobody asked for) in their latest flagship phones of this year. It is a dud is besides the point. For a first generation option, Huawei has done a half decent job at it. They have to improve it dramatically before the next generation mate phone though. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 7 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Seems like a pretty bad week for Huawei. :#
    magman1979JWSCanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 55
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    Its the greedy American company to get cheap Chinese products....can’t blame Chinese companies, they have a cheap labor market that American companies takes in
    lkruppdysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 55
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    One knockoff manufacturer will do nothing, unless you mean retaliation which will hurt both parties.
    I don’t think you realize how large and influential Huawei is...

Is every company that uses Android in some of their products going to be a “knockoff” manufacturer?

From wiki:
    Huawei had over 188,000 employees as of September 2018, around 76,000 of them engaged in Research & Development (R&D).[5][6] It has 21 R&D institutes around the world.[7][8] As of 2017 the company invested US$13.8 billion in R&D.[9][10]
    In December 2018, Huawei reported that its annual revenue had risen to US$108.5 billion in 2018 (a 21% increase over 2017).[16]

Huawei might be #1 (in importance) in the 5G rollout globally if it wasn’t for the trade war.  I’m as concerned about the IP theft as anyone, but Huawei is also a global innovator.  Everyone is better off if we can get a deal in place ASAP.

avon b7
  • Reply 10 of 55
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    [...]
    Is the bigger picture really being looked at by trump supporters in this forum???
    Of course not. That’s not how his supporters work. 
    magman1979roundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamn2itivguyavon b7stevedownundercaladanian
  • Reply 11 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    And we brought it on ourselves by constantly demanding cheaper prices, thereby all but forcing American companies to manufacture in China. So I suppose your solution is to simply capitulate to the Chinese and become their economic servants? Better Red than Dead?
    magman1979cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 55
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Some analysts are saying Apple will remain above the brawl because banning Apple products will hurt the Chinese labor market. Apple is already being singled out by the U.S. as exempt from the import tariffs. Neither side wants to slay that golden goose.
    edited May 2019 magman1979
  • Reply 13 of 55
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:

Is every company that uses Android in some of their products going to be a “knockoff” manufacturer?

From wiki:
    Huawei had over 188,000 employees as of September 2018, around 76,000 of them engaged in Research & Development (R&D).[5][6] It has 21 R&D institutes around the world.[7][8] As of 2017 the company invested US$13.8 billion in R&D.[9][10]
    In December 2018, Huawei reported that its annual revenue had risen to US$108.5 billion in 2018 (a 21% increase over 2017).[16]

Huawei might be #1 (in importance) in the 5G rollout globally if it wasn’t for the trade war.  I’m as concerned about the IP theft as anyone, but Huawei is also a global innovator.  Everyone is better off if we can get a deal in place ASAP.

My question is what exactly is stoping China announcing tomorrow that everything Apple Inc. is now banned and Tim has 3 months to fuck off ( in those exact words), it seems to me that this has potential to get real hilarious, what am I missing ?

Though I get the crying over IP theft and the deficit I have to ask however, since no American company is forced to operate in China and all companies enter China knowing full well the cost and requirements why is no one asking Apple why the fuck  they give up their IP in China ? Isn't that a more prudent question ?

There's a price to pay for market access everywhere India requires local manufacturing for example, we may talk about those costs being too high and/or unfair but Apple doesn't seam to think so, otherwise why are they in China or any other place ? If that country is so despicable then why go there ?, also why is Apple or any America based conglomerates' IP always referred to as American IP ? What does America have to do with Apple property, doesn't that belong to its share holders around the world ?

Just asking coz I'm really curious i'm not American so this all seems just weird to me.
    edited May 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Huawei is a MAJOR security threat. Any company within mainland China needs to be cut off entirely from everything, as Chinese law states that the Communist Party has full access to everything in all companies that operate within its borders. They are engaging in alternative warfare on us (political, legal, and media), and they tell both us and the United Nations ANYTHING to get us to stop asking, but then they continue to do as they wish. Their phones come implanted with spyware, and this has already been verified and proven. It's not a company, but an arm of the Chinese Communist Party, essentially. Huawei needs to be eliminated and weeded out of existence in its entirety for the sake of humanity's future. It is wrong to support companies that violate basic human rights, like Apple has done with their Chinese servers (they gave the encryption keys to their Chinese "partner", which is state-run, throwing Apple's "privacy" promise out the window) and like Microsoft has done with its modified Skype, which is modified to monitor all users.
    donjuanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Few questions to ponder for huawei haters in this forum:
    1. If trump gets a better trade deal from China, would that automatically exonerate huawei of all these security threats posed by them???
    2. When it actually happens, what would be your reaction???
    3. If ip theft by Chinese companies is your real concern, then why are you not asking the question to trump administration - "why huawei alone? What about the likes of xiaomi, bbk sub brands Oppo/vivo/one plus??? Are they all saints?"
    4. What is the real issue with China and huawei? Is it Trade imbalance? Or Security? They are both mutually exclusive. If security is an issue, what about ZTE?

Is the bigger picture really being looked at by trump supporters in this forum??? As a neutral person from a different country, it does not look like so to me. 
    1. While it's now difficult to disentangle the Huawei sanctions from the rest of what's going on, the basic issue with the company is over national security concerns.

2. I would hope that Trump would stick to his guns unless Huawei opens its code for inspection, ensures that it has no backdoors, and can prove that it is not quasi-owned or controlled by the Chinese state.

3. The issue of IP theft in China will likely be addressed as part of any reasonable trade agreement with China for all Chinese companies, including all the ones you mention. If the trade agreement ends up being something solely related to trade in good and services (e.g., they buy more soybeans and let some insurance companies compete in China) and not matters of IP theft, many in the US, including me, would deem the agreement a complete failure.

4. At this point, it's conflated. But it was clearly security with Huawei. As to ZTE, you don't seem to have kept up with the news: they are now subject to oversight by the US government for the next 10 years and they had to pay a fine of $1 billion.
    edited May 2019 n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

dysamoria said:
    [...]
    Is the bigger picture really being looked at by trump supporters in this forum???
    That's a stupid comment. I support Trump's actions on this front, but I do not support Trump politically in any way. Even many Democrats support him on this one, including Chuck Schumer and Bernie Sanders.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 55
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:

From wiki:

It means American consumers pay extra for the "patriotic" privilege of American branding on 5G installations.  Huawei holds patents on about 40% of the necessaries if you want real 5G speed and capacity.  A factor that could have been utilized by any deal-maker with more than half a brain and no sticky fingers.  If you read the English-language Chinese press even before we got the fake president, that avenue to sound IP protection was expected.  Agreement was ready.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

dysamoria said:
    [...]
    That's a stupid comment. I support Trump's actions on this front, but I do not support Trump politically in any way. Even many Democrats support him on this one, including Chuck Schumer and Bernie Sanders.
    You are obviously not a part of the resistance, because they have to be against everything that Trump is for. It doesn't matter if he cures cancer next week, the resistance will be against it. And if they're so smart, then how come they lost, and will most likely lose again?
    donjuanJWSC
  • Reply 19 of 55
    It’s not nice to kick a dog when they’re down.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    eideard said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:

From wiki:

It means American consumers pay extra for the "patriotic" privilege of American branding on 5G installations.  Huawei holds patents on about 40% of the necessaries if you want real 5G speed and capacity.  A factor that could have been utilized by any deal-maker with more than half a brain and no sticky fingers.  If you read the English-language Chinese press even before we got the fake president, that avenue to sound IP protection was expected.  Agreement was ready.
    The Chinese reneged on both the iP protection, and forced IP transfer from companies doing business in China. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/16/world/asia/trade-xi-jinping-trump-china-united-states.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
    n2itivguywatto_cobra