Editorial: The AirPods Meme - How Apple is making you fall in love with your tech

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    AirPods do look pretty silly, from where I sit, in a country that doesn't have a lot of Apple in it but if you look objectively at it, they should look less silly than the same thing with a metre or two of wire dangling off them or giant over ear headphones. Or phablets. Or sun glasses or hats. People just need time to get used to them. 
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

OK, so now I know I'm older than Dan. My first Apple product was the 3rd Gen iPod and when I started listening to music on it, it took me back to the time I used to listen to my cassettes in my tape recorder! I used to lug around 2 cases with about 50 cassettes in them, along with my Sony Walkman whenever I travelled!

What a difference the iPod made!

My older brother had binders full of CDs in the 90s--photo albums 4 CD pockets on each page. And my oldest brother had boxes of LPs in the early 80s. Its pretty incredible to think about how recent the digital era of music is. 

There's a Netflix show "the Society" that imagines a town where the kids in a town leave on a trip and return and nobody's there, and they figure out how to live again. And for some reason their phones still work, but they can't connect to the outside world. And one of the story elements is that they have to play classic music because all of their songs were "in the cloud." 
    bestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28

OK, so now I know I'm older than Dan. My first Apple product was the 3rd Gen iPod and when I started listening to music on it, it took me back to the time I used to listen to my cassettes in my tape recorder! I used to lug around 2 cases with about 50 cassettes in them, along with my Sony Walkman whenever I travelled!

What a difference the iPod made!

My older brother had binders full of CDs in the 90s--photo albums 4 CD pockets on each page. And my oldest brother had boxes of LPs in the early 80s. Its pretty incredible to think about how recent the digital era of music is. 
    YES! The boxes of LPs! My older brother “gifted” me with his LPs when he went off to college. He had a little over 700, a ridiculous amount. In retrospect, it was such a pain to find/remove/place on record player/return to proper place in collection compared to listening to music via Apple Music today. And discovery was an issue. I basically went by his suggestions or found something with a cool cover.

I feel like Apple drops the ball in some ways with Apple Watch advertising. I know several people who own an Apple Watch but either don’t know they can put music on it or know but don’t know how to add it and that they can listen with Bluetooth headphones. I agree that Apple Watch with AirPods is the modern iPod, but too many don’t know that’s a feature.
    edited May 2019 Dan_Dilgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    AF_Hitt said:
    TLDR; but I don't get the meme.  Is that supposed to be ejaculate dripping out of Ben Stiller's ear?
    Haha never thought I’d need to post this here but there’s a first for everything.

It’s from There’s Something About Mary

https://youtu.be/RC8wEqUHA2Q

Kids these days, amirite? There’s Something About Mary is a comedy classic!
    I expect I'm your age, maybe older.  (My first Apple devices were my brother's hand-me-down Apple IIc and then a fat Mac 512.)  Have just never been into crude comedy movies.  Shrug.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    TheStemGroupTheStemGroup Posts: 7unconfirmed, member

When pixel was first launched it was to the penny (and performance wise) a near perfect match to iPhone.

Did you just compare the Pixel to the iPhone as being a perfect match? Did you forget the sub par specs compared to virtually EVERY other premium phone out there??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Did Phil Schiller write this copy or does it just read that way?
    Do not have them, do not want them.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    davgreg said:
    Did Phil Schiller write this copy or does it just read that way?
    Do not have them, do not want them.
    Don't care.
    watto_cobraPickUrPoison
  • Reply 28 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I was well out of school and military when I got my first iPod, the Gen 1 5G click wheel. And it was instantly magical. 

The AirPods were similar, but not as much – at first. Yes, they were clever bits, and fit my ears well, and sounded quite good for what they were. But it wasn't until I had to use a pair of EarPods that the import of lacking wire really impressed me. It was then I felt the magic.

I've never been concerned with what anyone else thought about how they looked, and the hater comments about how people looked when wearing them.

Until today. After seeing the Stiller pic (I did see the movie in theater) I can see the attraction of black AirPods. LMAO
    watto_cobra