List the most annoying yet-to-be-fixed OS X bugs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Which is code for "I want Mac OS 9 back," since OS 9 certainly did not allow Desktop shortcuts to be remapped.

The ctrl-D shortcut to the Dock needs to be reassignable for those of us who spend time in Terminal, damnit.

Well which is it?

Is the inability to reassign shortcut keys annoying...

or just the people that want to remap them
  • Reply 42 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrBillData

Well which is it?

Is the inability to reassign shortcut keys annoying...

or just the people that want to remap them

The difference here is that remapping Command-N in Finder breaks UI consistency in the name of legacy. It doesn't fix any conflicts or add any new behaviors.

Mapping ctrl-d to mean "select the Dock" overrides its rather important function in Terminal (where it means "end of file") in order to introduce a function (selecting the Dock from the keyboard) that has no legacy or UI consistency considerations. They could have picked just about anything to select the Dock from the keyboard (although I can see why using 'd' was appealing from a mnemonic point of view...).
  • Reply 43 of 46
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

The difference here is that remapping Command-N in Finder breaks UI consistency in the name of legacy. It doesn't fix any conflicts or add any new behaviors.

Mapping ctrl-d to mean "select the Dock" overrides its rather important function in Terminal (where it means "end of file") in order to introduce a function (selecting the Dock from the keyboard) that has no legacy or UI consistency considerations. They could have picked just about anything to select the Dock from the keyboard (although I can see why using 'd' was appealing from a mnemonic point of view...).

Agreed. But Amorph, you can change the keys in Full Keyboard Access to whatever you want. Just choose "Custom".
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

Well you're thinking of someone elses comments, I never mentioned CMD-N.

Consistency be damned, it's my computer.

A person can customize the Dock to their iconical access preferences, why not allow customization of their key access preferences. We should even be able to remove all of the predefined Dock icons or all of the CMD keys if thats what we want. I have always believed that hard coding anything is a limitation, not a feature.

If I wanted a computer that only works "thier way", I'd have a M$ PC.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Agreed. But Amorph, you can change the keys in Full Keyboard Access to whatever you want. Just choose "Custom".

Well, that removes one complaint, then. But the default should not be ctrl-d. I'm going to be a stick-in-the-mud about this.

MrBillData: You should download X11 and use it exclusively. It's right up your alley.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:

MrBillData: You should download X11 and use it exclusively. It's right up your alley.

I do use X11 with Fink.

Most of my Software is written for X11 / Motif environments and runs equally well on Sun, HP, -cough-Vax and now Mac OS.

As for the Dock, the Sun Openlook Window Manager menu is far more useful with features like WINMENU and DIRMENU than a Dock could ever be. I guess Apple has alot of Asian programmers because the Dock makes the Desktop look like the Menu of a chinese restaurant. Or would it be less offensive to say it looks like a Fisher Price desktop.