Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

kruegdude said:
    holyone said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    OUCH! That’s going to leave a mark. 
    The possible retaliation has the potential to  wreck havoc on our entire economy. 
    One knockoff manufacturer will do nothing, unless you mean retaliation which will hurt both parties.
    I don’t think you realize how large and influential Huawei is...

Is every company that uses Android in some of their products going to be a “knockoff” manufacturer?

From wiki:
    Huawei had over 188,000 employees as of September 2018, around 76,000 of them engaged in Research & Development (R&D).[5][6] It has 21 R&D institutes around the world.[7][8] As of 2017 the company invested US$13.8 billion in R&D.[9][10]
    In December 2018, Huawei reported that its annual revenue had risen to US$108.5 billion in 2018 (a 21% increase over 2017).[16]

Huawei might be #1 (in importance) in the 5G rollout globally if it wasn’t for the trade war.  I’m as concerned about the IP theft as anyone, but Huawei is also a global innovator.  Everyone is better off if we can get a deal in place ASAP.

My question is what exactly is stoping China announcing tomorrow that everything Apple Inc. is now banned and Tim has 3 months to fuck off ( in those exact words), it seems to me that this has potential to get real hilarious, what am I missing ?

Though I get the crying over IP theft and the deficit I have to ask however, since no American company is forced to operate in China and all companies enter China knowing full well the cost and requirements why is no one asking Apple why the fuck  they give up their IP in China ? Isn't that a more prudent question ?

There's a price to pay for market access everywhere India requires local manufacturing for example, we may talk about those costs being too high and/or unfair but Apple doesn't seam to think so, otherwise why are they in China or any other place ? If that country is so despicable then why go there ?, also why is Apple or any America based conglomerates' IP always referred to as American IP ? What does America have to do with Apple property, doesn't that belong to its share holders around the world ?

Just asking coz I'm really curious i'm not American so this all seems just weird to me.
    What’s weird to me are all these little straw man fetish plays that come out in the comments. As in “Tim has three months to fuck off”?
    Evidence that Apple haters have delusional revenge-fantasies playing in their heads, for reasons we will likely never understand.
    suddenly newton
  • Reply 42 of 55
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    Huawei is a MAJOR security threat. Any company within mainland China needs to be cut off entirely from everything, as Chinese law states that the Communist Party has full access to everything in all companies that operate within its borders. They are engaging in alternative warfare on us (political, legal, and media), and they tell both us and the United Nations ANYTHING to get us to stop asking, but then they continue to do as they wish. Their phones come implanted with spyware, and this has already been verified and proven. It's not a company, but an arm of the Chinese Communist Party, essentially. Huawei needs to be eliminated and weeded out of existence in its entirety for the sake of humanity's future. It is wrong to support companies that violate basic human rights, like Apple has done with their Chinese servers (they gave the encryption keys to their Chinese "partner", which is state-run, throwing Apple's "privacy" promise out the window) and like Microsoft has done with its modified Skype, which is modified to monitor all users.
    All developed nations (big or small) are security threats. Some less developed nations are even bigger security threats.

To turn your argument on its head, would you understand it if 1.4 billion Chinese people claimed the US were a security threat and should be 'cut off entirely from everything'?

You are looking at things as if the US were the centre of the universe and everything must revolve around it, dancing to its tune in the process.

Things are changing, and quickly. Nothing will stop that change. The only solution is to adapt to new world realities.

Using executive orders to blacklist companies in a globalised world can only work if there is consensus. Arbitrary and extreme actions will always backfire.

The US ended up practically alone with regards to Iran sanctions. It has consistently failed to tackle climate change, going against majority opinion. It pulled out of TPP.

The groundless (no evidence ever presented) US claims regarding national security and subsequent - arbitrary - blacklisting of a company and its affiliates to protect US industry and shore up capacity to influence world politics (power and control) have put the world on alert. This attitude doesn't belong in this century.

The US is and always was a security threat (as are many others, as I said above) but Trump has opened Pandora's Box and no one knows what the effects will be. However, we can be sure of one thing: the world has taken note and now prepare itself for an era with far less US influence going forward. That can only damage the US on every level imaginable. Not even a new president would be able to change things. The ball os rolling.

Huawei is the affected party in this case but the message has been heard loud and clear. Governments will move to protect themselves from US 'dependence'.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/05/25/beijing-hits-back-over-huawei-threatens-cyber-law-to-block-u-s-tech-from-china/#4c16c1e24337

You have just witnessed a U.S. President administer a catastrophic, single point failure to Huawei's business model, yet can't understand how telecom equipment from the same company, under an authoritarian government, could also be used to create a massive, multipoint failure to critical telecom infrastructure in the U.S., and other liberal countries in the world. That's some real tunnel vision.

If it makes you feel any better, Trump will probably roll back some of the bans, but only for the consumer side of Huawei, if a trade agreement is realized. But I would expect that Huawei's telecom, surveillance, and server side business will continue to see most of existing bans.

The failure of the trade agreements is absolutely on Xi; he should have agreed to the IP, and forced technology transfer, remediation that the U.S. was pushing for, and that would have been beneficial to the EU and the rest of the world. But, Xi reneged on that agreement, and that put a halt to ongoing negotiations.

Interestingly enough, Russia is looking at Nokia, and Ericsson 5G infrastructure, and they as well don't trust Huawei for 5G.
    edited May 2019 anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 55
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    StrangeDays said:
    holyone said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    The possible retaliation has the potential to  wreck havoc on our entire economy. 
    One knockoff manufacturer will do nothing, unless you mean retaliation which will hurt both parties.

Is every company that uses Android in some of their products going to be a “knockoff” manufacturer?

From wiki:
    Huawei had over 188,000 employees as of September 2018, around 76,000 of them engaged in Research & Development (R&D).[5][6] It has 21 R&D institutes around the world.[7][8] As of 2017 the company invested US$13.8 billion in R&D.[9][10]
    In December 2018, Huawei reported that its annual revenue had risen to US$108.5 billion in 2018 (a 21% increase over 2017).[16]

Huawei might be #1 (in importance) in the 5G rollout globally if it wasn’t for the trade war.  I’m as concerned about the IP theft as anyone, but Huawei is also a global innovator.  Everyone is better off if we can get a deal in place ASAP.

My question is what exactly is stoping China announcing tomorrow that everything Apple Inc. is now banned and Tim has 3 months to fuck off ( in those exact words), it seems to me that this has potential to get real hilarious, what am I missing ?

Though I get the crying over IP theft and the deficit I have to ask however, since no American company is forced to operate in China and all companies enter China knowing full well the cost and requirements why is no one asking Apple why the fuck  they give up their IP in China ? Isn't that a more prudent question ?

There's a price to pay for market access everywhere India requires local manufacturing for example, we may talk about those costs being too high and/or unfair but Apple doesn't seam to think so, otherwise why are they in China or any other place ? If that country is so despicable then why go there ?, also why is Apple or any America based conglomerates' IP always referred to as American IP ? What does America have to do with Apple property, doesn't that belong to its share holders around the world ?

Just asking coz I'm really curious i'm not American so this all seems just weird to me.
    What a naive perspective. Why doesn't China kick out all of Apple? Jobs. Manufacturing jobs. Of the most successful product in human history, the iPhone, and all of their other products. Not to mention that even the Chinese recognize iPhone is better than the knockoffs, which is why the tweets championing the knockoffs are posted on...iPhones. Oops.

As for "crying over IP theft", you seem to be suggesting that Apple and other US companies should be OK with IP theft and corporate espionage in return for manufacturing in China. That there is a quid pro quo relationship -- as if the Chinese firms weren't in fact being paid for the manufacturing jobs by the client that hired them to build, not steal.

Curious victim blaming. It's like saying of a mugging victim, "But he's rich! He can afford to be mugged!" riiiight

Lol strange you are basically suggesting that Apple is singularly responsible for a large enough % of Chinise jobs that their economy would take a hit if Apple took their manufacturing somewhere else, major lol, funy that in your obnoxious retort you completely fail to mention how important Chinise customers are to Apple (second only to US) which is probably a bit more important to Apple than manufacturing.

As to the rest of you're misguided drivel on IP, American companies ARE NOT FORCED TO OPPERATE IN CHINA, you're mugging anology is false equivalence, Chinise culture on IP is different from the rest of the world, it's not seen as theft over there , I can agree that  theft is wrong but why is Apple not making these complaints ? If you're rich victim doesn't mind being mugged because his mugger helps him get even richer why is there a problem ?

There's a reason why Apple has said nothing on these issues despite Tim's over advertised stances on everything moral. Why you feel Apple is being victimized when they've indicated nothing of the sort is amusing.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 55
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    kruegdude said:
    holyone said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:

From wiki:

What’s weird to me are all these little straw man fetish plays that come out in the comments. As in “Tim has three months to fuck off”?

That was just cheeky take on how I think Huawei must be feeling, that this is Trump's way of saying to them as a company to leave/fuck off as a way of dealing with the Chinese Govenment on trade, not sure how that's straw man. There's really nothing compelling I've read here that could stop China from banning not just iPhone manufacturing but sale in China as a reply which would be funny.
    tmay
  • Reply 45 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DAalseth said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    However justified the suspicion , lord Dampnuts just made it clear that he’s using Huawei as a hostage to try to extort trade concessions from China. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48392021 He said something similar about the Huawei CFO that they are trying to extradite from Canada.
    It’s not just the President who recognizes that Huawei is a shit company. They should dry up and blow away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 55
    jfanning said:
    Huawei apologists are  acting like robo callers.  bigging up Huawei tech as if they invented 5G on their  own R&D effort when in fact they are reliant on ARM, Google, Wifi Alliance, SD Association just like everybody else.  Brazenly they also did a lot of IP theft to get to the top. Now that the jig us up, everyone can point put that the Emperor has no clothes  after all.

Huawei windows drivers acting like malware broke the camel’s back, so to speak. I mean why would a driver file inject code to allow privileged access/backdoor to the Windows process? This  malware-like behavior is how it got detected by the newer Wiindows Defender version 1809. 
    “Microsoft’s researchers  then continued to look at the driver and found another flawed capability: it could map any page of physical memory into a user process. with both read and write permissions. With this, the user process can modify the kernel or anything else, and as such it, too, represents a gaping flaw.”
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/how-microsoft-found-a-huawei-driver-that-opened-systems-up-to-attack/

So I guess it was ok when American Companies installed key loggers as part of their drivers?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/keylogger-found-in-audio-driver-of-hp-laptops/

Your whataboutism doesn’t matter and won’t convince anyone working  in the malware detection business to reconsider their opinion.  The fact that Huawei is off the official Google Android and Windows platform tells everyone how bad Huawei software is.  
  • Reply 47 of 55
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jfanning said:
    Huawei apologists are  acting like robo callers.  bigging up Huawei tech as if they invented 5G on their  own R&D effort when in fact they are reliant on ARM, Google, Wifi Alliance, SD Association just like everybody else.  Brazenly they also did a lot of IP theft to get to the top. Now that the jig us up, everyone can point put that the Emperor has no clothes  after all.

Huawei windows drivers acting like malware broke the camel’s back, so to speak. I mean why would a driver file inject code to allow privileged access/backdoor to the Windows process? This  malware-like behavior is how it got detected by the newer Wiindows Defender version 1809. 
    “Microsoft’s researchers  then continued to look at the driver and found another flawed capability: it could map any page of physical memory into a user process. with both read and write permissions. With this, the user process can modify the kernel or anything else, and as such it, too, represents a gaping flaw.”
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/how-microsoft-found-a-huawei-driver-that-opened-systems-up-to-attack/

So I guess it was ok when American Companies installed key loggers as part of their drivers?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/keylogger-found-in-audio-driver-of-hp-laptops/

Were you to actually read the article you linked, you'd note that they don't believe it was malicious, just that it was sloppy (by writing to a plain-text file that a malicious process could then take advantage of). Nor are they a state-sponsored agent. But nice try.
    Ignorance isn't a defense for the security of your customers..

Maybe I should have used the large US network companies that have had their products compromised by the US security agencies as an example
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 55
    jfanning said:

Your whataboutism doesn’t matter and won’t convince anyone working  in the malware detection business to reconsider their opinion.  The fact that Huawei is off the official Google Android and Windows platform tells everyone how bad Huawei software is.  

Can you post that again, this time try and make a point
  • Reply 49 of 55
    “Robert Read, a former contract engineer from 2002 to 2093 in Huawei Sweden office said:

“They spent all their resources stealing technology.  You’d steal a motherboard and bring it back and they’d reverse-engineer it.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/huaweis-yearslong-rise-is-littered-with-accusations-of-theft-and-dubious-ethics-11558756858

Excerpts from  WSJ article:

In 2003 Cisco accused Huawei of stealing its software and its manuals. “They have made verbatim copies of whole portions of Cisco’s user manual.  The plagiarism was so flagrant that Huawei even copied bugs in Cisco’s software and typos that appeared in Cisco’s manual also appeared in Huawei’s.”

Huawei couldn’t release its router’s for shipment until it fixed a substancial  number of the common Cisco bugs contained in the Huawei routers.
    Cisco General Counsel then flew to Shenzento speak to Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, who called it a “coincidence.”  Huawei then settled the suit after admitting it had copied some of Cisco’s router software.

In 2010 Motorola accused Huawei of stealing their compact base station SC300 design. An email of one of its employee’s said “Attached please find those document about SC300 specification you asked.”  The employee turned out to be a relative of Ren Zhengfei.  One of the co conspirator was arrested in 2012  at Chicago O’Hare  with a one way ticket to Beijing and caught bringing out more  than 1000 documents including Motorola’s  trade secrets.

Chna retaliated against Motorola when it launched an antitrust probe of Motorola’s sale of its network business to Nokia using ‘anti-money laundering, state secrets, any number of things’ reasons.  One week after Motorola dropped its lawsuit against Huawei, the Chinese govt approved the sake to Nokia.

Huawei also steals tech from individual inventors, and has the chutzpa to turn around and sue the original inventors.  Paul Cheever, a school teacher who records kids music, said his life has been over run by paperwork since he sued Huawei in California last year. He alleges the company stole his song “A Casual Encounter” and pre-loaded into its smartphones for free.  He found out when. on Youtube, people were leaving comments on his song attributing it to Huawei phones. He said “It’s a weird felling having this company take my song and give it away to 100 million people on the devices without my permission.”

Read the WSJ article  and you will realize, if you haven’t yet, that stealing is in Huawei’s corporate DNA.

anantksundaram
  • Reply 50 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    jfanning said:
    jfanning said:

Were you to actually read the article you linked, you'd note that they don't believe it was malicious, just that it was sloppy (by writing to a plain-text file that a malicious process could then take advantage of). Nor are they a state-sponsored agent. But nice try.

Maybe I should have used the large US network companies that have had their products compromised by the US security agencies as an example
    Maybe you should. Stop posting pointless nonsense. 
  • Reply 51 of 55
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    “Robert Read, a former contract engineer from 2002 to 2093 in Huawei Sweden office said:

“They spent all their resources stealing technology.  You’d steal a motherboard and bring it back and they’d reverse-engineer it.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/huaweis-yearslong-rise-is-littered-with-accusations-of-theft-and-dubious-ethics-11558756858

Excerpts from  WSJ article:

In 2003 Cisco accused Huawei of stealing its software and its manuals. “They have made verbatim copies of whole portions of Cisco’s user manual.  The plagiarism was so flagrant that Huawei even copied bugs in Cisco’s software and typos that appeared in Cisco’s manual also appeared in Huawei’s.”

Huawei couldn’t release its router’s for shipment until it fixed a substancial  number of the common Cisco bugs contained in the Huawei routers.
    Cisco General Counsel then flew to Shenzento speak to Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei, who called it a “coincidence.”  Huawei then settled the suit after admitting it had copied some of Cisco’s router software.

In 2010 Motorola accused Huawei of stealing their compact base station SC300 design. An email of one of its employee’s said “Attached please find those document about SC300 specification you asked.”  The employee turned out to be a relative of Ren Zhengfei.  One of the co conspirator was arrested in 2012  at Chicago O’Hare  with a one way ticket to Beijing and caught bringing out more  than 1000 documents including Motorola’s  trade secrets.

Chna retaliated against Motorola when it launched an antitrust probe of Motorola’s sale of its network business to Nokia using ‘anti-money laundering, state secrets, any number of things’ reasons.  One week after Motorola dropped its lawsuit against Huawei, the Chinese govt approved the sake to Nokia.

Huawei also steals tech from individual inventors, and has the chutzpa to turn around and sue the original inventors.  Paul Cheever, a school teacher who records kids music, said his life has been over run by paperwork since he sued Huawei in California last year. He alleges the company stole his song “A Casual Encounter” and pre-loaded into its smartphones for free.  He found out when. on Youtube, people were leaving comments on his song attributing it to Huawei phones. He said “It’s a weird felling having this company take my song and give it away to 100 million people on the devices without my permission.”

Read the WSJ article  and you will realize, if you haven’t yet, that stealing is in Huawei’s corporate DNA.
    Too many naive and foolish people populating these forums with surprisingly little clue about what they’re up against. 

I am truly glad that adults who do are in charge. 
    tmay
  • Reply 52 of 55
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Interesting article from NY Times today:
    "Last year, Microsoft, along with Google and Facebook, joined 50 countries in signing on to a similar call by French President Emmanuel Macron — the Paris Call for Trust and Security in Cyberspace — to end “malicious cyber activities in peacetime.”

Notably absent from the signatories were the world’s most aggressive cyberactors: China, Iran, Israel, North Korea, Russia — and the United States."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/25/us/nsa-hacking-tool-baltimore.html

avon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 55
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:
    Its the greedy American company to get cheap Chinese products....can’t blame Chinese companies, they have a cheap labor market that American companies takes in
    What are you even talking about?
  • Reply 54 of 55
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    holyone said:
    kruegdude said:
    holyone said:
    genovelle said:
    mac_dog said:

From wiki:

That was just cheeky take on how I think Huawei must be feeling, that this is Trump's way of saying to them as a company to leave/fuck off as a way of dealing with the Chinese Govenment on trade, not sure how that's straw man. There's really nothing compelling I've read here that could stop China from banning not just iPhone manufacturing but sale in China as a reply which would be funny.
    Why is this about Apple? I thought this was over Huawei’s 5G telecom equipment business. Do you secretly long for someone to give Tim Cook the middle finger?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 55
    jfanning said:
    jfanning said:

Maybe you should. Stop posting pointless nonsense. 
    Pointless nonsense, ok, it is only acceptable to abuse a company if they are not US based, got you...