My Petition For More Peace

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hehe, very few, methinks, will get the slight wink to the novel 'My Petition for more Space' by John Hershey (coincidentally famous by his focus on Hiroshima, or am I terribly mistaken?). Anyway, this thread, if it wishes to survive, is not so much to rehash all the arguments we hear a thousand times, but should serve as a place where all liberal tree-huggers, salonfähige Democrats, and disagreeing Republicans, and all that corresponds to that but does not live in the US (...) can voice their disapproval of Bush.

The underlying proposition: all who are still in favor of peace, raise your hand. Yes. No insults from me today. And I hope all that ARE in favor of war, that you will keep any arguments out of this thread (and the others too). Let's see how peaceloving the AI-crowd is. All I want is Yay or Nay. Is that understood?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Is this a referendum on military action at this time or on Bush's handling of this situation or on Bush in general?

I'll vote a tentative yeah to the first and nay to the second two.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Also did you ever make your trip to the Unilateral States as you mentioned here? Where are the details if so?

And where is the thread discussing the recent case in Belgium involving Misters Powell and Papa Shrubbery and the rumored cases against Shrubbery proper and Jamaican Rum(sfeld)?

And where is the thread about Belgium not receiving proper recognition for inventing French Fries and then blaming it on the French?

The Belgian faction needs to get to work.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    What does "peace" mean to you for the people of Iraq?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

What does "peace" mean to you for the people of Iraq?

There is a quite basic answer to your question: I am asking how many of the people here oppose to the current attack on Iraq by US and UK armed forces. I do not wish to enter into any deeper discussion at this time/in this thread.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

Also did you ever make your trip to the Unilateral States as you mentioned here? Where are the details if so?

And where is the thread discussing the recent case in Belgium involving Misters Powell and Papa Shrubbery and the rumored cases against Shrubbery proper and Jamaican Rum(sfeld)?

And where is the thread about Belgium not receiving proper recognition for inventing French Fries and then blaming it on the French?

The Belgian faction needs to get to work.

You're so right. I guess I should dig up my US trip thread to talk about my experiences over yonder, as I have in fact been there. I saw some of the stuff (in New York and Washington D.C.), read some papers, saw US television media at work... I had a good time, but again, this is not the thread. As for the rest: my weak heart does not handle appleoutsider well, and actually, I haven't been @ appleinsider much at all over the past weeks. etc...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    OK, some other time then.

Anyway, I'll clarify my vote to a Yeah I am in favor of the war.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Yes, let's avoid deep thought and analysis.

Discussing makes me change my mind sometimes, it totally sucks!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

The underlying proposition: all who are still in favor of peace, raise your hand.

When has there ever been peace? There has always been bloodshed and it will be going on forever if we don't kill ourselves with a nuke first.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    You misunderstood.

They want "peace" in Iraq. You know, the "peace" where Saddam Hussein goes unpunished while his people are slaughtered by sanctions and his police forces. Where dissent gets you strung up on the streets with your tongue cut out. Where women are raped and Kurds are killed en masse. That's "peace". That's the "peace" they advocate.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Yes, let's avoid deep thought and analysis.

Discussing makes me change my mind sometimes, it totally sucks!

groverat beat me to it.

I see this kind of escape route from the left almost on a daily basis.

I have even seen Alan Colmes do it on Hannity and Colmes.

Alan Colmes a liberal makes painful effort with the context of his questions he asks to those he wants to appear to differ with on with the issues.

Check it out, it is so clear his tactic of "context control" to limit the answer of his guest.

He thinks he can limit the answer of his guest to a context in which might (for lame minds) appear to support the position Colmes claims to hold.

I have seen this from just about every liberal that attempts to speak on the war.

"context control"

Great Example from our own der Who?

Quote:

I do not wish to enter into any deeper discussion at this time/in this thread.

This is the disconnect I see with liberals day in and day out. It is how they control...... ohhhh let's not let the truth out.

Fellowship
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

You misunderstood.

They want "peace" in Iraq. You know, the "peace" where Saddam Hussein goes unpunished while his people are slaughtered by sanctions and his police forces. Where dissent gets you strung up on the streets with your tongue cut out. Where women are raped and Kurds are killed en masse. That's "peace". That's the "peace" they advocate.

I didn't misunderstand anything. I know what he meant. I'm just making the point when has there ever been peace in the world. Geez people get so serious in this place.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

When has there ever been peace? There has always been bloodshed and it will be going on forever if we don't kill ourselves with a nuke first.

Or until we run out of gold, oil and blood.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

I didn't misunderstand anything. I know what he meant. I'm just making the point when has there ever been peace in the world. Geez people get so serious in this place.

I think some are serious because..."just a guess" when you realize that the things that Groverat listed within the quote of his you replied to really do happen.

It is easy for those with freedom to look the other way.

Is that acceptable however?

I should hardly think so.

Fellowship
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Let me add that in review of the history in Iraq under Saddam and his sons that is just some of the abuse.

Saddam has had people sent home cut up in 100 pieces back to the family. Sounds a little harsh? Indeed.

The question is.. Would a mad man like Saddam or his sons even think twice to use WOMD one day on Israel or to sell or give these WOMD to other terrorists to use against the US?

I think such a mad man would do so.

The world can not afford to allow for such a possibility.

Just listen for once to defectors from Iraq. Listen to the former assistants. Listen to former people that knew Saddam and his sons.

Just learn that this is not a man to trust.

Then a war makes a lot of sense to rid the world of this evil.

Fellowship
  • Reply 15 of 18
    No groverat and Fellowship, I'm not taking the escapist route here. As most of the people here, I discuss the Iraqi crisis daily with the people surrounding me, some of which have deeply contrasting views to mine.

What I wanted to ask here is the kind of nuance-less protest we have seen thursday all over the world (for in marches and demonstrations, there is no place for nuance). I do not wish to close myself of for discussion, but I do not intend this thread for that purpose (especially seeing the many other threads on this topic). Everyone disagreeing with the US attack on Iraq, you can still raise your hand. (You see, my proposition is very simple, and should, imo, not spark rammification).
  • Reply 16 of 18
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Everyone disagreeing with the US attack on Iraq, you can still raise your hand.

I have raised both hands and feet as high as I can and spent several weeks in this position. So far only mental asylums noticed me. Yes, stop the war! Stop propagating hysteria! Tell your electors how much bloody money you are going to make and what you will do with that money. Tell them how many people you are ready to slaughter for that money. Tell them "Fück your children" straight in the face. Do it.

<Edit: Hey mods, to hell with censorship! Long live freedom! />
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Do you people remember how many people freaked out when the twin towers collapsed? How your nation (if you happen to be in the US) mourned (and rightfully so) for months? Okay? You remember. Well, how then can you explain what the US is doing to Bagdad? The demolition not of two towers but of a city. Trying to raise two hands to voice my disgust, but I found out that typing gets mighty tough like that.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    asking a web crowd to raise hands is like asking for it on radio

you can make a poll (new feature... read the FAQ) if you're seeking more measurable feedback