New Feature List

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Someone asked me to draw up a list of all the new features that the vBulletin offers.

Wow. I'll try to begin.
  • Greatly enhanced PMing, you can see it's much more complex and powerful than UBB. It'll also do a javascript alert whenever you get a new PM, so you know instantly.

Who's online

Polls

HTML/color/font/etc options for text formatting

We can search and crossreference IP addresses so as to root out multiple screen names for the same person.

Search that actually works, and is pretty complex

Thread subscription

Member list

Lots more statistical functions about who does what, who has how many posts, etcetera

Lots of profile options

Uploading of files (currently only for mods/admins)

Ability to ignore others' signatures, etc

Buddy lists

PMs to multiple people

This

Hidden Forums

User Groups

Post Previews

Mark forums read

Subscription to forums instead of just threads

Indication of which threads you have posted in (indicated by the slightly opened folder icon)

Merging, splitting, invisibility, moving with redirects, sticky threads, mass moves, mass prunes, etc (mod stuff, but it's really nice)

check the message length before you post so you won't lose data if it's too long

Seeing the number of views a thread has recieved

Some stuff we don't have turned on: individual message titles, icons, thread ratings, avatars (NO we will not be enabling avatars)

Changing of the time zone of the board to your own

Announcements

Post sort order is individually set, you can set your own defaults as to how you wish to view posts within a forum with much more specificity than in UBB

The List function, which is cool

email feature that doesn't require the public showing of a user's email address, it's just a field

reporting of inflammatory or otherwise 'bad' posts to mods/admins through the clicking of the little lightning bolt in the bottom right of a post

we can add custom vb codes to change text and stuff... haven't yet

fully customizable interface, we can rewrite and reposition stuff at will.

multiple skins (user selectable) --- coming soon, maybe...

ignoring other posters (essentially 'windowshades' their posts, so that you see that they posted, but won't see their post if you don't want to...

etcetera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    what is this User Group thang all about?

EDIT: Why does it always thank me for posting?

EDIT 2: What does the "arrow pointing down" graphic mean next to a thread title?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

what is this User Group thang all about?

EDIT: Why does it always thank me for posting?

EDIT 2: What does the "arrow pointing down" graphic mean next to a thread title?

if you click it, it will take you to the first post in the thread that you have not read.

that's what the little blue or grey aqua dots indicate on each post: whether or not you've read it
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

if you click it, it will take you to the first post in the thread that you have not read.

that's what the little blue or grey aqua dots indicate on each post: whether or not you've read it

genius, pure genius!!!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Someone asked me to draw up a list of all the new features that the vBulletin offers.

Wow. I'll try to begin.

This

That is damn scary. Eat your heart out, NSA! Quick, what am I holding in my left hand right now...
  • Reply 5 of 26
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, shit. I'm the 32nd most prolific poster on these boards. That just sucks. All my life's work, down the drain.

EmAn has a pretty big lead, but Brad is charging hard.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Thanks for the list, Jon!

Questions: What exactly happens after you subscribe to a thread or forum? What notification do you get? Just more explanation would be great.

Are there already hidden forums, and can I know about them? Last one that was eliminated, I had been on here for over a year and all of a sudden I'm hearing about this phantom forum that I had never heard ANYTHING about. Not fair...for anyone. (steps down off soap box)

You didn't answer Nebagakid's question about User Groups. I'm curious too.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Indeed, are you alluding to something with this supposed hidden forum functionality?

• Reply 8 of 26
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Some stuff we don't have turned on: individual message titles, icons, thread ratings, avatars (NO we will not be enabling avatars)

what is an avatar? and why can't i have them turned on? dictionary.com mentions something about Vishnu?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

EmAn has a pretty big lead, but Brad is charging hard.

Don't worry, I'll make sure I don't lose my lead
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

what is an avatar? and why can't i have them turned on? dictionary.com mentions something about Vishnu?

It's a pic that you can include under your username.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    avatars are virtual doppelgangers that may allow alternative personae

few users choose their avatar for accuracy to passport photo... unless the world is full of anime characters, transformers, and clip art critters

if you could select an icon (in the broadest sense)... usually limited to less than 80 x 80 pixels, occassionally animated, but vaugely representative of some ideal, would you still choose to use your photo?

would you secretly relish the public face of another? vicariously living the online life as mythological or fantastical creations doesn't seem unusual to many gamers

not many users pick their real name for login... why register as a name from your favourite film, song, whatever? avatars just add another mask
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

You keep telling yourself that.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    And Brad takes a commanding lead in the post race
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

EmAn, you need to drop out of school (or go to a "school" like Brad does) and just post, post, post. He's cheating...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Damn, EmAn! You're slackin' off! You need to get back to posting those worthless 4-word posts like you used to do. Where are the...

"Yeah, I agree"

"Whatever."

"He's right."

"That's really not fair."

...posts that we're used to. Come on!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Yeah, so, is no one gonna answer my question about these so-called "user groups"?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Yeah, so, is no one gonna answer my question about these so-called "user groups"?

user group??
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Your not a member of the USER GROUP?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I'll have a go if you like - I'm assuming this is similar in vBulletin to PHPBB.

User groups are a way to give certain permissions to a whole load of users at once. For any forum with limited permissions, user groups can be used to override those permissions.

Groups can be open or closed, with open groups letting anyone in automatically who wants, and closed groups requiring the group moderator to add users to the group. I think on vBulletin you can have people automatically join a group at a certain # of posts, enabling you to do things like allow avatars for those over 1000 posts.

Amorya
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I think on vBulletin you can have people automatically join a group at a certain # of posts, enabling you to do things like allow avatars for those over 1000 posts.

Are you hinting at something? \