Apple Maps vehicles to expand Canadian recon this summer

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
Apple on Monday announced that Apple Maps vehicles will do deeper scouting and imaging in Canada this summer, laying the groundwork for first-party data and enhanced details.

Ottawa Canada

Fleets will begin driving all 10 provinces between May and November, Apple said. This excludes the territories of Nunavut, Yukon, and the Northwest Territories, likely because of their low populations and the difficult terrain between cities and villages.

Apple's notices in regional newspapers say that the company is "capturing road details, signage and landmarks," and planning to publish the data "in a future product update." It's also reportedly "working closely with local regulators" to assuage privacy concerns.

The effort marks the continuation of a years-long campaign to build up first-party map coverage. When Apple abandoned Google Maps integration with 2012's iOS 6, it turned to a hodgepodge of third-party sources that often resulted in missing or mislabeled landmarks. Since 2015 vehicles have been scanning the U.S. along with Croatia, France, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the U.K.

Only the U.S. has seen first-party maps go live. There the company is also deploying foot teams, presumably to help with pedestrian and cycling directions. That's becoming especially important with the rise of personal electric vehicles like scooters and skateboards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Does anyone use Apple Maps?  I use Google Maps exclusively.  I don't get why Apple thinks they need their own mapping service
    kestral
  • Reply 2 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    dougd said:
    Does anyone use Apple Maps?  I use Google Maps exclusively.  I don't get why Apple thinks they need their own mapping service
    I find I use it intermittently. If I have an appointment with an address, iOS brings up Apple Maps, which is fine. But I agree, Apple shouldn't be duplicating Google's driving. The data is there, just share it. Make a deal and save a bunch of time and effort and greenhouse gasses.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 3 of 18
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    DAalseth said:
    dougd said:
    I find I use it intermittently. If I have an appointment with an address, iOS brings up Apple Maps, which is fine. But I agree, Apple shouldn't be duplicating Google's driving. The data is there, just share it. Make a deal and save a bunch of time and effort and greenhouse gasses.
    And Apple shouldn't re-invent the word processor, we should all be using Microsoft Word, because the duplication of time and effort is bad for the environment and greenhouse gasses. We should eliminate all competition in the name of greenhouse gasses. Let's get rid of all economic competitors, all capitalist ideas, all political parties, all in the name of reducing greenhouse gasses.
    toysandmeRayz2016lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 18
    trpettistrpettis Posts: 1member
    Of course people use Apple Maps!! I try not to use anything Google. Apple software is not monitoring your every click.
    toysandmeagilealtitudemacxpressRayz2016lkrupplollivermobirdlostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 18
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    DAalseth said:
    dougd said:
    And Apple shouldn't re-invent the word processor, we should all be using Microsoft Word, because the duplication of time and effort is bad for the environment and greenhouse gasses. We should eliminate all competition in the name of greenhouse gasses. Let's get rid of all economic competitors, all capitalist ideas, all political parties, all in the name of reducing greenhouse gasses.
    Greenhouse gasses tend to become less intrusive than Apple stubbornly continuing it’s below-average services
  • Reply 6 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    dougd said:
    That is a reductio ad absurdum argument, which are notoriously weak.

lorin schultzlostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dougd said:
    I use it exclusively. I do not use Google Maps. I don't like being tracked everywhere I go and then that information sold to others. As to why they do. From a number of reports published, including ones on this site. Apple dumped Google maps as Google would not allow Apple to provide some of the Google Maps services because Apple refused to provide individuals personalized tracking data to Google. They wanted to maintain customers privacy. So yes I only use Apple Maps and Not Google Maps or Waze Maps. And I have found that every place that I have gone to Apple maps has worked excellently for me. I use what I want to use and you can use Google Maps and let them have all your information that they want from you.
    Rayz2016lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 18
    dougd said:
    I use Apple Maps almost exclusively. Only use google in cases of absolute desperation!

Great to see that Ireland is getting some Maps Love, too.  All 26 counties in the Republic are being covered from May to July. Must look out for one of the vehicles in my rural neck of the woods. 

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I use Apple Maps when I travel but in Edmonton, Canada’s 5th largest metro Apple Maps sucks. No detail, no transit, no flyover - it’s a garbage app.  So we shut it off or down as it’s usefulness is almost zero. Instead we use Open Maps apps like maps.me and of course Google on the family phones. When Apple gets around to filling in some big holes in Canada coverage I will take a fresh look but  I still have not got over my pain from iTunes changes years ago that wiped out my own loaded music etc.  so now use Spotify and Amazon Music. I have slowly moved off Apple apps. Think I might get a Samsung or Chinese device this next refresh if I can synch all my devices in the cloud on their platform. 
    kestral
  • Reply 10 of 18
    gfengstadgfengstad Posts: 12member
    dougd said:
    I use Apple Maps exclusively.  I can’t remember the last time I referenced Google Maps.  For me, I choose to use the service that is respecting my privacy.  

The fact that Apple is working with local regulators to ensure protection of privacy is a very different process that Google undertook.  Google drive vehicles without consent or care about capturing personal information and in fact was originally capturing private wi-fi info as well. 
    chasmlolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dougd said:
    Millions upon millions of iOS users use Maps because it’s the default. Goole Maps is another of those tech blog talking points that is supposed better than Maps. That’s all you read on tech blogs and tech blogs are a teeny tiny slice of the real world.  Apple’s Maps is all I need to use. Your sarcastic question reveals your inability to accept reality. Of course MOST iOS users use Maps, not Google Maps.
    chasmlolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 18
    M FatsM Fats Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I use Apple Maps when I travel but in Edmonton, Canada’s 5th largest metro Apple Maps sucks. No detail, no transit, no flyover - it’s a garbage app...
    Check that out: https://cl.ly/a3c8a88782c7

Rayz2016chasmlolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 13 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I don’t understand why Apple trickle out Maps capability as slow as it does. Apple mapping moving into Canada! Why aren’t they doing this in every country at the same time? It’s the same process, just needs scaling up! At this rate global coverage will be in the year 2525.
    edited May 2019 lostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 18
    One reason Apple doesn't use Google Maps for iOS is Google chose not to make Google Maps for iOS equal to Google Maps for Android unless Apple gave access to much user data. The moment Apple chose to dump Google Maps for iOS, Google began to make Google Maps for iOS equal to Google Maps for Android.

I am glad Apple is charting a path for its own Maps technology to prevent being held hostage to a data harvesting company.
    lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    I’ve used Apple Maps pretty much exclusively, because I don’t like being tracked by Google (or anyone). Maybe if I lived in Rear End, Nowhere, I’d like other map services better, but Apple Maps works fine and has never let me down or led me astray.

Canada is so beautiful and largely unspoiled, but it will be a real challenge to properly map. Outside the populated areas, there is a LOT of open, nearly-empty space, and lots of places with roads and people but very spread out. I’m glad they are investing more in mapping the country and I’m envious of the drivers and others who will be part of this effort for the most part, but pointed not of the men and women who have to cover the prairies. :) They’re lovely, but flat and the drives between towns are loooonnnnnnggggg ...
    edited May 2019 lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    I use Apple Maps when I travel but in Edmonton, Canada’s 5th largest metro Apple Maps sucks. No detail, no transit, no flyover.
    Just for the record: Edmonton Alberta does in fact have loads of detail, it has full transit directions, and it has 3D satellite imagery (aka “flyover”). Maybe update your iPhone to iOS 12?
    lolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 18
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    dougd said:

It’s more like Expecto Patronum”.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    dougd said:

What’s absurd are those who proclaim they want choice yet seek to suppress any choice that conflicts with their bias, i.e., they want Android to rule the world as the only mobile operating system, they want Google Maps to be the only choice for all, and yes, they want one word processor. They want Apple to be a carbon copy of their own choices or they want Apple gone. And a lot of them park their carcasses right here in the AI tech comment sections. 
    lolliverlostkiwi