Anticipation over Apple's new modular Mac Pro mounts as first iffy renderings hit the web

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    frank777 said:
    macronin said:
    This was from a speculation article about a month or so before WWDC 2013...

Thunderbolt 4 was weird enough. What is Thunderbolt Pro?
    Just like it says above, this is from an article about possible Mac Pros, this article was about a month or so before WWDC 2013...

Thunderbolt Pro is what whomever created the image is calling TB2...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 75
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    macronin said:
    Just like it says above, this is from an article about possible Mac Pros, this article was about a month or so before WWDC 2013...

Okay, I get it. Didn't realize the image was from that far back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 75
    frank777 said:
    macronin said:

Okay, I get it. Didn't realize the image was from that far back.
    No problem...

The fact that it IS from right before WWDC 2013, a third-party mock-up of what some expected from a new Mac Pro...

...and then we got the cylindrical Mac Pro...

...and now we are all asking for a smaller version of the cheesegrater (and dreaming of the densely packed Cube 2.0, or the Cube 3.0 ARM cluster) and just hoping for the best...

(...the best would be a Threadripper 3 based system...)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 75
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    I'd be happy with a faster horse.  A cheese grater with the best guts and nvidia compatability.  
    macronin
  • Reply 65 of 75
    RakMasRakMas Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    In my humble opinion, the previous gen Mac Pro is hard to improve upon. I have two; one is used as a file server, with 4 x 3 1/2" drives, the other gathering dust in the garage. 
  • Reply 66 of 75
    HwGeekHwGeek Posts: 15member
    TB3 on AMD platform? Finally!
    So what do you think will stop Apple from dual sourcing CPU's from AMD also?

ASRock is ready with its own mini-ITX motherboard based on the AMD X570 chipset, the X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX TB3. This tiny powerhouse one-ups other mini-ITX motherboards in its category by offering 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 3 connectivity over USB type-C, in addition to USB 3.2. This Thunderbolt port also includes a DP pass-through from your discrete graphics card.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/256005/asrock-unveils-x570-phantom-gaming-itx-tb3-motherboard
    macronin
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Here is to hoping WWDC brings us Threadripper 3 powered modular Mac Pros...!
    HwGeek
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Lisa Su confirmed that TR3 is coming and since AM4 entered HEDT level of performance- TR3 will go higher too, and looks like AMD is giving Apple the luxury to launch it's MAC PRO with TR3 as the worlds powerful PC before any one  else like I predicted :smile: , TR3 will be released after Apple's Release.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This acronym soup is a PITA. 
  • Reply 70 of 75
    HwGeek said:
    Lisa Su confirmed that TR3 is coming and since AM4 entered HEDT level of performance- TR3 will go higher too, and looks like AMD is giving Apple the luxury to launch it's MAC PRO with TR3 as the worlds powerful PC before any one  else like I predicted :smile: , TR3 will be released after Apple's Release.
    Pretty sure I am the first to ever envision Threadripper in a Mac Pro, so... ;^p

We are also waiting on E3 for full Navi info, coincidentally the week AFTER WWDC...?

Were did I put that specs list again...? 
  • Reply 71 of 75
    crowley said:
    This acronym soup is a PITA. 
    I see what you did there...
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Processors: 7nm Zen 2 Ryzen Threadripper 3
    • 3990WX 64C/128T, 3.5GHZ/4.2GHz, 250W
    • 3970WX 48C/96T, 3.5GHZ/4.2GHz, 250W
    • 3950X 32C/64T, 3.7GHz/4.4GHz, 180W
    • 3920X 24C/48T, 3.7GHz/4.4GHz, 180W
    Memory: Quad-channel, ECC DDR4, eight DIMM slots, maximum 256GB BTO, 64GB standard (4 @ 16GB DIMMs), user serviceable

Samsung A-die DIMMS, high-speed, low-latency, high-density, up to 32GB sticks

Storage: T2 (T3?) with dual Apple-proprietary SSDs in RAID, ~4GB/s read and write, 2 TB standard, up to 8 TB BTO

Graphics: PCIe 4.0, two triple-width slots (x16, x16), one double-width slot (x8)
    • AMD Radeon VII, 7nm Vega 20, 60CU, 16GB HBM2
    • AMD Radeon 5900, 7nm Navi 20, 64CU, 8GB GDDR6 (available Q2 2020)
    • AMD Radeon 5800, 7nm Navi 10, 56CU, 8GB GDDR6
    • AMD Radeon 5700, 7nm Navi 10, 48CU, 8GB GDDR6
    Triple-width slots give dual-width GPUs room to breathe
    x8 dual-width slot for the 12G SDI 8K video I/O folks, or a wicked fast NVMe-based RAID card

Ports: four TB3 / USB-C, four USB-A, dual 10Gb Ethernet, one 3.5mm headphone jack
    HwGeek
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Grain of salt on those CU counts for Navi, we really don't know a while lot yet...!

But yeah, a Threadripper 3 Mac Pro could be pretty freaking sweet...
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Yes, and there is already 4x SSD PCIE Gen4 Raid adapters with ~15GB/s! Apple won't miss an opportunity for ultra expansive SD storage :-).
  • Reply 75 of 75
    tax lawyertax lawyer Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "Regardless of legitimacy, it's nice to read some Mac centric speculation again rather than the usual "iPhone bumps" posts. I miss Mac rumors, but that's the way of the world these days." So true. I love my IOS devices, but no matter how hard Apple tries to convince me otherwise, most of my tasks can only be done efficiently on a Mac.