Apple releases updated $199 iPod touch with A10 Fusion, up to 256GB of storage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
About four years after its last update, the iPod touch gets a refresh with Apple adding an A10 Fusion processor.

Apple has released the first new iPod touch since July 2015 with this new model improving on its predecessors' specifications. Sporting the A10 Fusion processor, the new iPod touch costs $199 for 32 GB of storage, $299 for 128GB, and $399 for 256GB, the latter being a new larger capacity option for the product line.

"We're making the most affordable iOS device even better with performance that is twice as fast as before, Group FaceTime and augmented reality starting at just $199," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Product Marketing. "The ultra-thin and lightweight design of iPod touch has always made it ideal for enjoying games, music and so much more wherever you go."

Weighing in at 3.10 ounces, the new model measures 4.86 inches long and 2.31 inches wide, and 0.24 inch or 6.1mm thick.

The four-inch Retina multitouch IPS display has a resolution of 1136 by 640 pixels, giving it a pixel density of 326ppi, with the screen also offering a contrast ratio of 800:1, and 500cd/m squared maximum brightness.

On the back is an 8-megapixel autofocus camera with an f/2.4 aperture and a five-element lens, auto image stabilization, a hybrid IR filter, and HDR support, which is capable of 1080p video at 30fps and slo-mo at 120fps. On the front is a 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera with auto HDR for photos and 720p HD video capture.

Connectivity is provided via Bluetooth 4.1 and 802.11ac Wi-Fi, as well as a 3.5mm headphone jack, and Lightning for data transfers and charging. Battery life is said to last for up to 40 hours for music playback, and up to 8 hours for video.

This is the seventh generation of the once beloved iPod touch and marks the cheapest entry point for new iOS users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    I see they had the good sense to keep the TRS jack.
    williamlondondtb200airnerdMisterKit
  • Reply 2 of 50
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    The iPod touch is a pocket computer for many businesses, specially in the service industry. It was just a matter or time for the update.
    dtb200racerhomie3airnerdloopychewchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 50
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Looks good. Might pick this up as a secondary device for my SE.
    jeffharrisbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Error when trying to order
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 50
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 776member
    Too bad they didn't release a 512GB, or even a 1TB version.
    That would be perfect as a secondary music source and not run down my iPhone's battery.
    lkruppracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I don’t get why someone wouldn’t buy an iPhone 7 instead and just not activate cellular. On Amazon there are iPhone 7s for under $300.
    harry wildairnerdwilliamlondonchasm
  • Reply 7 of 50
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    I don’t get why someone wouldn’t buy an iPhone 7 instead and just not activate cellular. On Amazon there are iPhone 7s for under $300.
    I can only speak for myself, but the iPhone 7 is bigger and doesn't have a 3.5mm jack.
    edited May 2019 racerhomie3GeorgeBMacDoodpantsjeffharris80s_Apple_Guychiaschlackchemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 50
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Will always have a soft spot for the iPod Touch. It was my first iOS device. It was my gaming machine, my super portable camera, my e-mail device. It was my lifeline to the outside world when I was in the hospital for a week after cancer surgery. It was where I learned how useful mobile devices could be. It's the reason we now have two iPhones and two iPads. I'm very glad they updated it.
    racerhomie3king editor the gratechiachasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 50
    People like me, prefer portable devices. Plus $200 is a good price point for folks looking to get into iOS in developing nations which puts 20-40% tariffs. Developers need to have test devices. Plus which other iOS device has 256GB storage within $400 ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 50
    bscheffelbscheffel Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    "new model improving on all its predecessors' specifications" - ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?   The ONLY specification that has been changed is upgrading the ancient A8 processor to a soon to be 3 year old chip (and possibly 2GB RAM and an obscenely priced 256GB option.  The screen, battery, camera, lack of biometric security, and bluetooth are still the same as the 2015 model.   This is an embarrassing offering.  Offering a 256GB option is Apple milking as much margin from an poorly spec'ed device as possible.  Just the kill the Touch - Apple is ruining it's proud history.
    rogifan_newharry wild80s_Apple_Guyairnerdchemengin1
  • Reply 11 of 50
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    I’ve had 4 iPod touches over the years. Great devices and because WiFi is available everywhere I went they were almost as good as an iPhone. If someone hadn’t given me this iPhone 6s I would have bought one, I still might. 
    racerhomie3macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 50
    People like me, prefer portable devices. Plus $200 is a good price point for folks looking to get into iOS in developing nations which puts 20-40% tariffs. Developers need to have test devices. Plus which other iOS device has 256GB storage within $400 ?
    Does the target market for this device need 256GB? Plus it looks like the only thing they really updated was the processor. Not sure why it took this long to do a processor bump. Honestly the only reason to buy this is if you absolutely must have a headphone jack.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 50
    ljm828312ljm828312 Posts: 27member
    I’m not trying to sound like a Debbie downer, but I agree, you can get unlocked iPhone 7’s for that price and not activate them for cellular, just use wi-fi for whatever your personal/business needs are or use them for just your music applications.
    all this is, is them just getting rid of their old inventory by combining A-10 from products that either didn’t sell or were refurbished and placing them into these iPod touches that again weren’t popular sellers anymore due to the iPhone, depending on what phone model you bought.
    Apple should have just reintroduced these as products for either school or business purposes and only made the 128gb model version available.
    32gb of storage is to small and 256 is to much storage for a product that got last refreshed in 2015. 128gb is ideal for those 2 markets.
    It would be more than enough if parents bought 1 for their kids for music or home mobile wi-if gaming.
    But hey Apple has gotta make up for this product not being a popular seller somehow. Even though it will sell, just not in the masses as the iPhone or iPad.
    Because this is where this product is slotted in with.
    I’m hoping im wrong and I i hope it does well.
    And I hope that Apple releases the figures of the product sold when it comes time for their quarterly earnings, but they will either do 1 of 2 things...
    1. Not tell us because it didn’t sell as well,
    2. Group the iPod touch in with the iPhone & iPad because they know that it didn’t do well so they added it in with the other 2. 
  • Reply 14 of 50
    The A10 was introduced 3 years ago. Now Apple is introducing a new device with A10. How long will it continue to get software updates? IMO this device would’ve been more compelling if it had an A11. It’s not about how the device performs now but how it will perform 3 years from now.
    harry wild80s_Apple_Guywilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Does the target market for this device need 256GB? Plus it looks like the only thing they really updated was the processor. Not sure why it took this long to do a processor bump. Honestly the only reason to buy this is if you absolutely must have a headphone jack.
    iPod Touches & iPad (WiFi only) needs the most storage.Not everyone has WiFi at work & travel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 50
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Perhaps!
    For me, the biggest appeal of an iPod is that it can carry and play my music library.

Apple wiped mine out (at least on my iPhone) when I subscribed to Apple Music.
    Now, many songs are missing and even more have been replaced with other versions of the same song.  One example is when they replaced the songs from the original live Benny Goodman at Carnergie Hall concert with later recorded copies.   That was a historical concert that changed music in America by introducing big band jazz to the elite and was played by icons of the era:   Benny, Gene Krupa, Harry James, Lionel Hamptom and others....  It can never be replaced of duplicated.  But, now its gone.

But, I could use an iPod to load my original vinyl and CD library without fear Apple will replace it with their own versions.
    McJobsracerhomie3
  • Reply 17 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    iPod Touches & iPad (WiFi only) needs the most storage.Not everyone has WiFi at work & travel.
    I’m sort of surprised they didn’t offer a cellular option, like an iPad. When the rumors of an updated iPod Touch were originally circulating, I sort of thought it might make for an SE replacement, an entry level device with optional cellular for texting and data support, and FaceTime. That would meet the needs of many people on a budget, especially if like they iPad they could enable and disable the cellular data plan on a monthly basis, as needed or afforded.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    gutengel said:
    The iPod touch is a pocket computer for many businesses, specially in the service industry. It was just a matter or time for the update.

It would be quite something if Apple actually turned it into a "User folder in your pocket"

If there is ever a switch to USB-C, this would be completely viable - instead of Guest User on the desktop, you can plug in your iOS device & run it as your user, or, in a fancier world, you just need a monitor & keyboard/mouse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 50
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 807member
     :( Another very sorry product update by Apple! Like the iPad Mini, it took Apple 4 year just to update the components from 3 year old iPhone parts bin. ;). The new iPod is already obsolete! ;)
    edited May 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I'm surprised they put an old A10 in it. Usually they put their best CPUs even in the low-end stuff so it can stay on the shelf longer. Very, very nice to see that they're staying committed to small screens, this means at least the next four releases of iOS will continue to support the 5-series screen size.
    chemengin1baconstangwatto_cobra