2019 'iPhone 11' may play audio over two Bluetooth devices at once

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
The 2019 iPhones could feature a dual Bluetooth system that lets them send audio to two separate devices, according to a report citing Asian suppliers.

Apple's forthcoming iPhones may include a dual Bluetooth system that would allow audio to be sent to two paired devices. Currently you can pair many Bluetooth speakers, headphones or car systems, but you can only play audio over one of them or to a joint system like multiple HomePods. This report, citing sources in the Asian supply chain, claims at least some of the 2019 iPhones will allow you to simultaneously connect two different Bluetooth devices.

The Japanese Apple blog Macotakara has reported on the rumor and also points out that selected Android phones already have this feature. "According to Asian supplier sources," says Macotakara (in translation), "the next iPhone will have the same Bluetooth profile [as] Huawei Technologies' Huawei P20 Lite [and] Samsung's Galaxy S8, S8 Plus and later."

The site says that you won't be able to play different music tracks, for instance, to the two devices. "But dualizing Bluetooth enables two AirPods (2nd generation) to play sound at the same time, and connecting it to car Bluetooth navigation while using AirPods will be possible."

The idea there is that you could have music going to your AirPods while navigation instructions are spoken over your car's speakers. That seems substantially less safe than the current system of music volume being dipped, or podcasts being paused, while you're driving, but it might keep the kids quiet in the back.

While the rumor specifies that the feature is coming to the 2019 iPhones, it's not certain that it will be included in all of the range. "The source said that they didn't know which iPhone model will mount Dual Bluetooth function for sale," reported Macotakara.

The forthcoming 2019 iPhones have previously been reported to have a triple-camera system, while the 2020 ones may have full-screen Touch ID as well as 5G.

The Macotakara report was first spotted by 9to5mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I'd like to be able to pair two BT speakers. It would be even better if the phones could use two BT speakers and get stereo from them. But I'd settle for two in mono.

Playing to two pairs of AirPods is interesting but not a very frequent use case for me.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    About frigging time. No idea why they don’t support some form of multicast rather than relying on Bluetooth 5.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    kruegdudekruegdude Posts: 340member
    If only the Apple TV could have two output streams. Then I could turn up the volume on my airpods while my wife listens at regular volume on the speakers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    At first, the response is an automatic "Why would anybody need this?"

But the question is based on today's (soon to be outmoded) technology and applications.

Picture a world of IoT devices where everything is connected:   the watch, phone, lights, headphones, stereo, etc...  This single threaded 'one device and only one device' will start to seem amazingly constricted and restrictive.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    kruegdude said:
    If only the Apple TV could have two output streams. Then I could turn up the volume on my airpods while my wife listens at regular volume on the speakers. 
    You can listen with Airpods and speakers.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    About frigging time. No idea why they don’t support some form of multicast rather than relying on Bluetooth 5.
    Yup. They took away the headphone jack and are only finally getting around to supporting the same functionality wirelessly. Now two people can share the same movie at the same time without the need for wires, or dongles and adapters.

I thought the Apple AirPod commercial was hysterical where the woman shares her music with a guy she meets in the street, by giving him one of her AirPods, and they dance their way through the city in full immersive stereo fidelity! It’s clear from the commercial that Apple understands the need people have to share audio. That commercial should have introduced the ability to share audio with another set of AirPods. So yeah ... about time.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    The article is incorrect. HomePods don’t use Bluetooth. They use airplay over Wi-Fi. 

Playing the same audio stream to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously would be awesome on the Apple TV. When my child is asleep, my wife and I could watch a movie, each wearing Bluetooth headsets, without having any sound coming out of the speakers. 

For now, each of us uses an AirPod. 
    edited May 2019 mac_128
  • Reply 8 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    At first, the response is an automatic "Why would anybody need this?"

But the question is based on today's (soon to be outmoded) technology and applications.

Picture a world of IoT devices where everything is connected:   the watch, phone, lights, headphones, stereo, etc...  This single threaded 'one device and only one device' will start to seem amazingly constricted and restrictive.
    Agreed. But I think another long term application for this tech will inevitably be multiple bt controller support on the AppleTV. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 13
    petelppetelp Posts: 7member
    I've been wanting this for a long time. 

I want it for shared audio experiences for me and my girlfriend (or sometimes other friends), when out of the house, such as:

1) At a restaurant
    2) On a walk
    3) On a plane

My girlfriend and I spend a great deal of our shared car time listening to audio books together over CarPlay or Bluetooth Car Audio, (which I absolutely love to do with either, I used BT for a long time before I had CP). 

I've long been wanting to be able to continue those books with dual simultaneous bluetooth to airPods as well, when we get out of the car.
    mac_128GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 13
    What I want to see is Apple allow two different people's AirPods connect to one iOS device for doing things like watching a show together on an airplane.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    maccaguymaccaguy Posts: 70member
    Personally, I’d like one set of AirPods to receive source from multiple devices. For example, if I’m listening to music while on a run, let the music play and the mile and pace notifications from my watch both play through my AirPods simultaneously. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    sirozha said:
    The article is incorrect. HomePods don’t use Bluetooth. They use airplay over Wi-Fi. 
    The article isn't incorrect. It doesn't state that music is played to the HomePod over BT. And AirDrop requires both a Bluetooth connection as well as a WiFi connection. Without both I can't AD from my phone or iPad to my HomePod. The HomePod also support peer-to-peer networking which also requires a BT and WiFi connection.

A dual channel BT radio might allow music to be played over both AirPods and a HomePod or AirPods and an ATV as mentioned above. Streaming to two sets of AirPods wouldn't help me but I can see how it would be a desirable feature for a lot of people.

• Reply 13 of 13
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 241member
    I need this on my iPad Pro cause watching movies on an airplane while traveling is the only time I share audio on my iOS device.
    watto_cobra