New York City rolling out Apple Pay at selected subway stations on May 31

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
Commuters at 16 stations on the 4, 5, and 6 lines, plus all Staten Island buses will be able to use "Express Transit" with Apple Pay on their Apple Watches or iPhones from May 31.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is to begin accepting Apple Pay at New York City subways and Staten Island buses from May 31 in a service called Express Transit. Initially the system will only be available on the buses or on the 4, 5, 6 lines between Grand Central-42 Street and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr. However, the MTA plans to make it available across the entire NYC subway and bus network by the end of next year.

Express Transit is part of One Metro New York, or OMNY, which is the MTA's project to add cash-less payment systems to the entire network. Previously, Apple's Tim Cook had revealed that the city would begin a pilot of the system in July.

As well as only being available in certain stations that have had new turnstiles fitted, Apple Pay on the New York subway is also going to initially be limited to single-journey rides.

"Until late 2020, when it's available throughout the entire subway system and on all bus routes, you'll only be able to use OMNY on a full-fare, pay-per-ride basis," said the MTA in a statement. "We'll add more fare options, including time-based passes, reduced fares, student fares, and more, at that point."

To use the service, you must have iOS 12.3 and watchOS 5.2.1, and have added a credit or debit card.

New York is able to start the system with just a few stations because the city's transit network is a flat-fare one where you pay at the start of your journey. Other cities that accept Apple Pay, such as London, require you to tap in at both the start and end of your journey so that your correct fare can be calculated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    That's great news! You can't have a sustainable city without great transit, and to be able to use my aWatch or iPhone, and to not have to carry a Smart Card, would be a big convenience. If this eventually becomes almost universal it would be fantastic. I have seperate smart transit cards for Perth, Melbourne and Sydney and sometimes I (or my dearly beloved) forget to pack the correct card, which is a nuisance. For some cities that I visit less often, say Singapore, I get a new card each time and return it and claim the balance when I fly out. To just be able to use aPay everywhere would be great!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I ride the 4 5 6 between GCT and Atlantic Avenue once a week, so I'll give this a try next week...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Not everyone is NYC has a smart phone so I am curious to see how the MTA handles this going forward. The city will hopefully soon pass a law preventing businesses from operating "cash free" as well. Despite all the money made here there is a large population living in poverty with children living in shelters. People should not be left behind by progress made in technology especially when it comes to buying food, transportation and other necessities. 
    frantisek
  • Reply 4 of 16
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Google Pay is also supported.   Ridiculous it is not mentioned here, as if Android does not exist or that Apple has this opportunity all to itself 

• Reply 5 of 16
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    spice-boy said:
    Not everyone is NYC has a smart phone so I am curious to see how the MTA handles this going forward....
    This is a limited option. The main turnstile payment method remains their smart card: which can be purchased and refilled for cash at every station.  OMNY is stated to have the same when it’s rollout is complete after 2020. 

Cash fares were eliminated in 1953 so there’s that little detail....
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 16
    tapetape Posts: 47member
    red oak said:
    Google Pay is also supported.   Ridiculous it is not mentioned here, as if Android does not exist or that Apple has this opportunity all to itself 

You know this is a website focused on Apple-related news, right?
    JFC_PAstompyspacekid
  • Reply 7 of 16
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I’m so happy we’re finally getting this is basically for tourists only for the next year and a half. New Yorkers that use the subway or busses on a regular basis will need to keep using the old MetroCard for so they can keep getting the unlimited pass. They really should have either accelerated the rollout or waited to turn it on until closer to when it available everywhere. I know they’ve said they are trying to avoid the fiasco that happened when Chicago made the same transition in a single day but this is being too cautious. I’ll try it out a couple times when it launches but otherwise I’m stuck using a MetroCard for the next year and a half until they make unlimited passes available.

I’m hoping what ends up happening is these limited launches go really well and they speed up the time table and roll it out systemwide sooner than the current time table. 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I prefer caution rather than having millions of people blocked from mass transit when a brand new system crashes and crashes and crashes. It’s not like a swipe is all that burdensome. 
    flyingdp
  • Reply 9 of 16
    red oak said:

Maybe this site is called AppleInsider and not GoogleInsider for a reason. If you want information on Google Pay then goto GoogleInsider. If you can find it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    JFC_PA said:
    I prefer caution rather than having millions of people blocked from mass transit when a brand new system crashes and crashes and crashes. It’s not like a swipe is all that burdensome. 
    When this is fully rolled out by the end of next year, MetroCards will still work for another 3 years after that. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 11 of 16
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    tape said:
    red oak said:

Which should include Apple's competitive position in the marketplace.  Do you think that is not important?  
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 12 of 16
    red oak said:
    tape said:
    red oak said:

Which should include Apple's competitive position in the marketplace.  Do you think that is not important?  
    How is Apple’s competitive position in the marketplace relevant to an article about Apple Pay being rolled out at subways in NYC?

As always, I’m happy to see support for NFC payments being expanded. A highly visible system like this is sure to increase awareness and acceptance.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    To use the service, you must have iOS 12.3 and watchOS 5.2.1, and have added a credit or debit card. 
    So you have to have a iPhone AND an Apple watch to use it?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    payeco said:
    JFC_PA said:
    When this is fully rolled out by the end of next year, MetroCards will still work for another 3 years after that. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
    Thanks: so my discount senior card has extra time to get replaced. Though I confess I like my Philly contactless card (and my apartment is going contactless this month) so I’ll probably switch as soon as it’s available and I’m near a location that accepts applications. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Apple Watch? 

Being right handed I wear my watch on my left wrist: which in the current turnstiles means I’d have to reach across my body to present the watch to the turnstile sensor? Exactly opposite of what I do when I swipe my metro card with my right hand. 

Or is the design somehow different?

Ah well I’ll look next time I’m on the 6 heading uptown to check out the Met or something. 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 16 of 16
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    JFC_PA said:
    Apple Watch? 

Being right handed I wear my watch on my left wrist: which in the current turnstiles means I’d have to reach across my body to present the watch to the turnstile sensor? Exactly opposite of what I do when I swipe my metro card with my right hand. 

Or is the design somehow different?

Ah well I’ll look next time I’m on the 6 heading uptown to check out the Met or something. 
    Look on the bright side: that swing of the left arm across the body and back will probably add 0.001% towards closing your rings!