Newton article in N.Y. Times

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
There's an article about the Newton in today's Circuits section of the New York Times. I'm sure that Fran411 will enjoy the coverage.

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    me too.

Quote:

Unsurprisingly, comeback rumors are a popular topic at Mr. Rehorst's forum. "The eternal hope among users is that one day something as good as Newton will be released by Apple," he said.

• Reply 2 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Interesting stuff. I didn't realize the card slot could accept an Ethernet card for hotsyncing. Maybe I'll have to get a hold of an old Newton for fun.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I will read it before I go to bed, I gots my copy of da' NuYorkeThyme-s right here
  • Reply 4 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How does a product that's not been made in 5 years still attract so much attention? Doesn't this tell Apple anything? Think of the publicity it would get..... And you know they'd do it right.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I liked the Waiting for Godot reference at the end of the article. It spoke of the worry that Apple may never again resurrect the Newton. And a bunch of people are just left waiting for something that will never come.

Sad to think, isn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    This is one of my big regrets: that I never owned a Newton

But there is still time and I may pick one up someday on eBay... unless Apple ships a new PDA before then. But realistically I will hold out for a new iPod in whatever shape it comes. The ability to carry around your addresses as well as you iCal calendar on the iPod makes it quite useful. Unfortunately you cannot edit the material on the iPod; that would make it a more viable alternative.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I still have my Newton 2100. Love it.

... and yes, I do worry that Apple will never make an updated Newton. Honestly, all other PDA's are junk in terms of usability. The Newton OS is to Palm OS as the Max OS X is to Windows 3.1.

It really is that much better, and could have been incredible if they kept developing it....

Why Steve? They were actually turning a profit when you pulled them back from being an independant company and killed them? Why? WHY!!!!????
  • Reply 8 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Borborygmi

I still have my Newton 2100. Love it.

The Newton OS is to Palm OS as the Max OS X is to Windows 3.1.

It really is that much better, and could have been incredible if they kept developing it....

How's that for hyperbole? Come on, NOS was good. It is good, but Palm OS 5 is not bad either. Not nearly as good as the Newt, but at least it's something. And it's certainly not as bad as you make it out to be. AAMOF, the Palm OS has a lot of room to grow now that it's on a comprable processor to the Newt. Some interesting things are gonna happen, methinks.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha apple failed with the newton the way i hear...least it still gets respect and is seen as being so good
  • Reply 10 of 11
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

This is one of my big regrets: that I never owned a Newton

But there is still time and I may pick one up someday on eBay... unless Apple ships a new PDA before then. But realistically I will hold out for a new iPod in whatever shape it comes. The ability to carry around your addresses as well as you iCal calendar on the iPod makes it quite useful. Unfortunately you cannot edit the material on the iPod; that would make it a more viable alternative.

I'm of exactly the same mind right now. I really need a new PDA (my Palm IIIe finally gave up the ghost...RIP) and the new Sony TG50 is looking mighty attractive, but I can't give up the nagging sensation in the back of my mind that Apple has something *almost* ready. Sigh.

I've also been toying with the idea of picking up a Newton to play with. Maybe someone who Fanatically Reveres the Apple Newton could give me some hints as to which ones I should be focusing on.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I've also been toying with the idea of picking up a Newton to play with. Maybe someone who Fanatically Reveres the Apple Newton could give me some hints as to which ones I should be focusing on.

my name's not fran, but I still can tell you which model you should get:

the Newton MessagePad 2100.