Bose to follow up QC35 line with Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 in late June

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
Bose on Wednesday revealed a successor to the QuietComfort 35 II, the Noise Cancelling Headphones 700, shipping on June 30. [Updated with corrections from Bose]

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700


The 700 includes 11 levels of cancellation for better customization of how much ambient sound to let in, Bose said. For quick interruptions however the headphones sport a button-triggered Conversation Mode, which simultaneously kills noise cancellation and pauses music.

Also on the upgrade slate is a better microphone system, with four mics for both improving pickup and eliminating noise. Combined with motion sensors this supports a platform called "Bose AR," in which compatible mobile apps can detect head position and offer custom-tailored audio. Some current titles include Bose Connect, Bose Music, and the on-foot navigation app Walc. Bose AR is already available for owners of Bose Frames or the QC35 II.

Other specifications include touch-sensitive controls, built-in Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant support, and a 20-hour battery. The last offers up to 3.5 hours of listening with a 15-minute charge.

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700


The Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 can be preordered in black or silver for $399.95 from B&H Photo or Bose directly.

Update: Bose says that the NCH 700 is merely a successor to the QC35 II, not a replacement.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    seankillseankill Posts: 544member
    I thought 350$ was ridiculous.  I almost got the Sony XM3s for 299 shipped a couple weeks ago but that’s a load for headphones. 
    Roger_Fingascaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,749member
    Beats need to work on the whole comfort thing.
    Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 3 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 2,370member
    High-quality headphones cost money, dude. $300 gets you a pair of “pretty good” cans (or Beats), $400 can get you some “pretty great” headphones (or better Beats), but the best reference headphones can cost north of $800 if you’re really that serious about it.

    It sounds like these are a solid upgrade on the very good QuietComfort 35 line, but I trust the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa spyware can be turned off? If not, I’m certainly not buying those.
    edited May 2019 mike54macgui
  • Reply 4 of 16
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 484member
    Makes my AirPods seem like a bargain.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    chasm said:
    High-quality headphones cost money, dude. $300 gets you a pair of “pretty good” cans (or Beats), $400 can get you some “pretty great” headphones (or better Beats), but the best reference headphones can cost north of $800 if you’re really that serious about it.

    It sounds like these are a solid upgrade on the very good QuietComfort 35 line, but I trust the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa spyware can be turned off? If not, I’m certainly not buying those.
    You don't have to use Alexa or Assistant, to my knowledge. Same with most headphones that list those features.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 3,002member
    Looking forward to the review comparing with XM3s.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 300member
    chasm said:
    High-quality headphones cost money, dude. $300 gets you a pair of “pretty good” cans (or Beats), $400 can get you some “pretty great” headphones (or better Beats), but the best reference headphones can cost north of $800 if you’re really that serious about it.

    It sounds like these are a solid upgrade on the very good QuietComfort 35 line, but I trust the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa spyware can be turned off? If not, I’m certainly not buying those.
    You don't have to use Alexa or Assistant, to my knowledge. Same with most headphones that list those features.
    Which doesn't answer the question of whether you can turn them off.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    bonobob said:
    Which doesn't answer the question of whether you can turn them off.
    You have to, y'know, actually log in and set it up first. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,010member
    If you don't have decent hearing or can't appreciate high-quality sound, then $350 would be ridiculous, even with active noise cancelation included.

    Likewise, AirPods are a bargain, if audio resolution and accuracy aren't your goals. I like my AirPods for what they are, but I also have some quite good IEC bugs and headphones that sound far better than inexpensive cans.

    It's not how much you spend but what your spending gets you. If you really enjoy critical listening of music, you might be surprised how rewarding good 'cans can be. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,006member
    macgui said:
    If you don't have decent hearing or can't appreciate high-quality sound, then $350 would be ridiculous, even with active noise cancelation included.

    Likewise, AirPods are a bargain, if audio resolution and accuracy aren't your goals. I like my AirPods for what they are, but I also have some quite good IEC bugs and headphones that sound far better than inexpensive cans.

    It's not how much you spend but what your spending gets you. If you really enjoy critical listening of music, you might be surprised how rewarding good 'cans can be. 

    Would something like a FIIO also be better for simply listening to music, or would music tracks in ALAC sound as good on the iPhone with a good pair of headphones?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,517member
    chasm said:
    It sounds like these are a solid upgrade on the very good QuietComfort 35 line, but I trust the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa spyware can be turned off? If not, I’m certainly not buying those.
    You don't have to use Alexa or Assistant, to my knowledge. Same with most headphones that list those features.
    I really hope that the Amazon and Google spyware (aka assistants) can be totally disabled. I really don't want them listening in on what goes on around me.
    Can we go back to simple Noise Cancelling Over the Ear headphones without any of this crap in them?
    Having thay spyware OOTB makes them a definite "Do Not Buy - Ever" rating from me.
    prismatics
  • Reply 12 of 16
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,551member
    I wonder how much better the noise cancellation is? I'm still using a pair of QC 15s that I just use when flying. Cutting the cabin noise really helps cut the stress of traveling.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 3,002member
    Caught a budget airline flight last week against better judgement. Two little four year old sh**s in the seat behind pushed with their feet all the way from Townsville to Brisbane, while using their iPads without headphones to play games.  Father couldn’t give a shit despite numerous complaints from surrounding seats. Hipster of course.

    Anyway I spent two hours thinking I really need some QC35s or XM3s. I doubt they would solve the involuntary foot massage problem though.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    jcshasjcshas Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    I just bought QC 35’s about 2 weeks ago, and by the time the 700’s are available I’ll be past my return date. SMH.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    BSoulManBSoulMan Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    jcshas said:
    I just bought QC 35’s about 2 weeks ago, and by the time the 700’s are available I’ll be past my return date. SMH.
    I wonder if these are better than the SONY's WH1000XM3's?
    I had heard a rumor that Bose was coming up with an update to the QC 35 II, didn't realize they would change the name and styling altogether.
    I guess we need to see a review on these new Bose's...

  • Reply 16 of 16
    jcshasjcshas Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    BSoulMan said:
    jcshas said:
    I just bought QC 35’s about 2 weeks ago, and by the time the 700’s are available I’ll be past my return date. SMH.
    I wonder if these are better than the SONY's WH1000XM3's?
    I had heard a rumor that Bose was coming up with an update to the QC 35 II, didn't realize they would change the name and styling altogether.
    I guess we need to see a review on these new Bose's...

    Agree. I will be interesting to see how these stack up against Sony. I tried the WH1000XM3 compared to QC35’s and I thought Sony sounded slightly better. But I chose Bose because they stand behind their product. I own a few different Bose headphones and speakers and their customer service is top notch.
Sign In or Register to comment.