Editorial: If you can't see a market for the new iPod touch, you aren't looking very hard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Is there a reason it doesn’t have an A11 or A12 chip?
    Probably. 

(what do you expect for an answer? nobody here works in Apple engineering)
    Margins.  
    chemengin1
  • Reply 22 of 46
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This will sell just fine. And as usual, the naysayers will all be proven to be 100% wrong and exposed as totally clueless and unknowledgeable about Apple. The same pattern repeats almost every time that Apple releases something.

The design? The design is a classic. The Mona Lisa has looked the same for hundreds of years. There's no need to improve on a classic.

The A10 chip is still a fine and capable chip. One has to be incredibly naive to believe that Apple would put the most recent chip into a budget product.

Hell, I just bought a second iPhone SE a few days ago and that has an A9 chip, and it's still a speedy phone. It actually opens some apps faster than an iPhone XS or XR.

For the intended market, the new iPods will do just fine. If you disagree, then you aren't the intended market.

edited May 2019 lkruppchaicka
  • Reply 23 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I will buy new iPod with an A12 inside it but the A10 is 3 years old, going on 4 years in September! Only a fool would buy this dated components inside the iPod.
    Well then I guess you’re going to have to count millions of people as fools then. What does that say about you?
    2old4fun
  • Reply 24 of 46
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    I use an iPod Touch as a music player every night. 
    Why not use a phone? Because a phone takes phone calls/texts.
    And when I’m in bed listening to music & / or relaxing sounds, trying to go to sleep, I don’t want phone calls/text alerts in my headphones. 

• Reply 25 of 46
    TomValTomVal Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Well, I certainly buy one. Not only for music, but also audiobooks, TTS read-alouds, and so on. I like the fact I can get a device with 256GB storage for a good price. I don't care for power-intensive tasks on iPod Touch, for such ones, I can have a separate device. But one thing that counts - it still gets most current version of (i)OS, as opposed to dedicated Android-based music players, which stick with dated, seldom updated version of OS
    2old4funchaicka
  • Reply 26 of 46
    I often specify iPods (and iPads) as an Audio-Visual system controller in commercial environments. Sometimes as an adjunct interface, sometimes as the main interface (although there is always a backup control mechanism in place). The fact is, even iPods a few generations back are plenty capable of delivering AV command cues. It takes almost no processing power to do this. For this application, the main reason for a processor upgrade would be to make sure iOS can be updated in case we need to take advantage of some system or security benefit that might be needed in the future. Hopefully, this latest update can extend the life a few more years.

The fact that iPods will still be available for a while longer with the same form factor is good news to me. It makes replacing lost or broken units that much easier since they can use the same cases and we don't have to re-layout the GUI. And for new projects, dealing with a "known" is always good too.
    edited May 2019 chaicka
  • Reply 27 of 46
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    MisterKit said:
    To release an A10 device as new implies that the A10 will be further supported. It does seem to be fringe technology compared to A11 and A12. One can only wonder.

Not only that, it implies devices with 4" screens will also be further supported.  Great for iPhone SE users.
    DAalsethchaicka
  • Reply 28 of 46
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    jcs2305 said:
    I will buy new iPod with an A12 inside it but the A10 is 3 years old, going on 4 years in September! Only a fool would buy this dated components inside the iPod.

Please explain why the A10 wouldn't be able to power small device like this for years to come?

"3 years old, going on 4 years in September!"

It will be 3 years old in September actually...  It was introduced with the iPhone 7 and 7Plus Sept 7 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A10
    So Apple is going to support A10 devices with iOS updates for years to come?
    Going by history Apple has supported devices for up to 5 years.  The A10 will be 3 years old this September so it will at least get 2 more years of support.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    RembertRembert Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    There used to be many people who would opt to just pass down their old iPhone to their younglings, but that time is quickly fading away. Across the mobile market, customers are keeping devices for longer. [...]
    With iPhones worth more and lasting longer, giving it to your child no longer makes as much sense.

Indeed. My youngest is now using the same iPhone we parents are using, the SE. Those phones are pretty affordable second hand and run rather well. We did add a cheap PAYG simcard to her iPhone just in case. We haven't moved onto another phone as there's no better SE-sized iPhone (yet).

I'm not sure about Apple's targeting strategy. They do renew the iPod and iPad Mini. But they don't renew for instance the SE-sized iPhone (yet) even though a clear market appears to exist (me included). Anyway, I'm not in a hurry. The SE is still just good enough (for me).

• Reply 30 of 46
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    There is a whole generation of kids who are growing up playing games on their parents smartphones. These are kids who haven't been exposed to various gaming systems by Nintendo and the like. I'm not suggesting that they won't switch to one of these consoles in time, but if I ask my Nephew what he'd like, he wants an iPod touch to play games, and to him the other gaming platforms simply don't exist.
    chaicka
  • Reply 31 of 46
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I consider getting one of these for the price. It may lack features, but it's cheap enough for me to 'abuse' it, like as a media player/cheap camera/game to kill time at outdoor sports, camping, fishing, hiking, etc. where I would rather not to bring my phone.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bb-15 said:
    I use an iPod Touch as a music player every night. 
    Why not use a phone? Because a phone takes phone calls/texts.
    And when I’m in bed listening to music & / or relaxing sounds, trying to go to sleep, I don’t want phone calls/text alerts in my headphones. 

Simple solution there. Turn off the Cellular radio. No more calls or texts. But that won't do it if you're using messenger since you'll still get those texts over wifi, unless you've disabled that already.

Rembert said:
    There used to be many people who would opt to just pass down their old iPhone to their younglings, but that time is quickly fading away. Across the mobile market, customers are keeping devices for longer. [...]
    With iPhones worth more and lasting longer, giving it to your child no longer makes as much sense.

Indeed. My youngest is now using the same iPhone we parents are using, the SE. Those phones are pretty affordable second hand and run rather well. We did add a cheap PAYG simcard to her iPhone just in case. We haven't moved onto another phone as there's no better SE-sized iPhone (yet).

I'm not sure about Apple's targeting strategy. They do renew the iPod and iPad Mini. But they don't renew for instance the SE-sized iPhone (yet) even though a clear market appears to exist (me included). Anyway, I'm not in a hurry. The SE is still just good enough (for me).

Agreed. If this editorial is correct about the Touch, then why isn't it true for the SE? Upgrade the SE with an A10 chip as well and keep selling it as an entry level phone -- even add colors. I would be surprised if there was a market out there big enough to justify the iPod but not for the SE.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member
    I ordered one last night. It’s a good device to use for development and testing. Not all of the customers that use the app I work on have the latest and greatest iPhone, so having a lower spec device to test on is super useful. Also with WWDC next week, I can now dedicate a device for iOS 13 testing. 

I hope Apple keeps a place for the iPod touch in their lineup for as long as possible. 
    pscooter63roundaboutnow
  • Reply 34 of 46
    T.j.p.T.j.p. Posts: 25member
    Love the update. Would have loved it more with 512gb or 1tb of storage optionally. Like 64gb-256gb-1tb. The newer processors so the os support would last longer. The ‘Mo mem-o-ry’ Because I want my whole library with me ... And one piece of software in the new os. I want my iPod touch to show as a device on the files app.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Doesn’t need it. It doesn’t have 4K video recording. It doesn’t have multiple back cameras. It doesn’t do Face ID. An A10 variant is already being used in Apple TV and so Apple has had a few years to optimize fabrication and make it cheaper and run cooler, etc. these also make it less expensive. In other words, it’s the appropriate horsepower for the job, and it comes with advantages.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Doesn’t need it. It doesn’t have 4K video recording. It doesn’t have multiple back cameras. It doesn’t do Face ID. An A10 variant is already being used in Apple TV and so Apple has had a few years to optimize fabrication and make it cheaper and run cooler, etc. these also make it less expensive. In other words, it’s the appropriate horsepower for the job, and it comes with advantages.
    The A10 is the last of the PowerVR GPU chips. I thought Apple were getting out of all PowerVR IP in new products within 2 years of April 2017.
    Yet here we have a new product a month after the deadline.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    ike17055ike17055 Posts: 121member
    Still rockin’ the Classic.  Luv me some clickwheel goodness. Best device ever. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 38 of 46
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Obviously updated for Apple Arcade.

[Sorry if it was mentioned in the article or comments, I don't feel good right now]
  • Reply 39 of 46
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Author said:

The smart home

If you have a HomeKit home, you may be interested in picking up an iPod touch as an affordable smart home controller. A whole-home iPod can be used to control your TV and Apple TV, the lights, thermostat, and much more. It also doesn't require any authentication for the whole family to use and is cheaper than something like a whole-family iPad.

There are apps on the market such as Home Dash that create beautiful home dashboard to view all of your rooms, see their status, and control any accessories.

By having an always accessible device anyone can use, it makes it easy for guests, kids, and others to control any non-physical smart home accessories.
    I am not that familiar with HomeKit but would be a bit cautious to give access to it device without authorization. In case smart burglary it can be problem.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 40 of 46
    mylovinomylovino Posts: 22member

I love the opening of this article!
    Somehow, people are under the misconceived notion that because they aren't interested in the iPod touch there is no market for it. If you can't figure out who will buy the new iPod touch, you aren't being thoughtful enough.
    The internet crowd definitely needs a good whack across the attitude to get it back in check, indeed. Thanks for the parenting!

I agree that the new iPod touch is disappointing in that it has zero design changes, which translates into zero effort on Apple's part. That somehow Apple is just recycling old designs in the name of making money. But with a huge market of iPod touch cases and screen protectors, one could say that Apple is being responsible by continuing the same form factor. It's not like the design is lacking in anything. It's perfectly functional and still the best non-phone, non-tablet media device available on the market.

I have no qualms with Apple sticking with a proven design. And I'm thankful that they *finally* updated the device so they're not selling 4-year old technology at the same price. But in the same token, as you dig deeper into that, they also kept older technology, like no Bluetooth 5 support. That's questionable.

All in all, there's going to be a lot of happy customers of the updated iPod touch. That, we know.
    Like to pick up on this: where the hack is the innovation? Apple’s track record of just recycling older technology with lower specs (A10, 32GB) get’s just longer with this. The iPod was instrumental to initiate Apple’s amazing journey to bring them to the level where they are today, it feels like disrespect for this important product to not bring it to the next level!

But let me put in in perspective, as I totally agree with the article’s statements in principle:

- I introduced the iPod to my kids years ago as replacement for cassette and CD player. Not only worked it superb for audiobooks for kids, it also helped them to get the usability straight (and as much as we may complain that we all use it too much, it remains an important skillset these days). And with Arcade it is clear why they needed the upgrade for this important customer segment.

- Besides music and smart home there are so many more areas to utilize an iPod for adults. Just think about Geocaching or bike navigation, an iPod is so much more convenient to use (as it is lighter) and the phone can stay in the pocket. But here is the problem: as adult I would expect a new design like the iPhone XR! That would be innovative and state of the art, and I would be willing to pay extra. Not sure what you guys think, but to me personally, looking for the iPod for some time to feature the above, I will not buy it yet!

- And I think these missing features are hurting even more if you think about the business angle, which is indeed very valid. If you use the device as cashier system, in restaurants, etc. every millimeter screen counts to make it convenient to use!

So bottom line: to use the lower spec and old design for kids to keep the device affordable is ok (and then you may not need the memory boost, though not sure yet what is needed for Arcade). But for a more mature usage I would have expected more. Really a pity and again the proof how much Apple is under pressure to deliver shareholder instead of customer value these days 😢