2019 iPod touch: First look, initial impressions, & benchmarks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
After Tuesday's announcement, we've got a new 2019 iPod touch on our test bench. Here are our first impressions and initial benchmarks of Apple's latest iOS device.

iPod touch (2019)
iPod touch (2019)

Apple updated two major things in the latest iPod touch -- a beefier A10 Fusion processor and a max storage capacity of 256GB. This will ensure that future versions of iOS will continue to run on the device and those looking to store mass amounts of high-quality music will have ample room.

A requisite unboxing

The packaging of the new iPod touch looks immediately familiar to those who have seen that of the sixth generation. A small clear plastic shell with the iPod touch front and center. You'd be hard pressed to know the difference between the previous and current generations unless you paid attention to the icons on the laminate of the iPod.

Icons have now been updated to reflect that of their current look and feel. For example, there's the brand new TV app that was updated in iOS 12.3 that is now present, and Passbook which has been replaced by Wallet.

iPod touch (2019)
iPod touch (2019)

Opening the box we find the usual objects that Apple includes with new devices -- a getting started guide complete with stickers, a Lightning to USB-A cable, and a set of Lightning EarPods.

First impressions & benchmarks

After booting up the iPod and progressing through Apple's lengthy setup process, we notice the iPod exclusive wallpaper with a subtle pattern and slight gradient. If you prefer the iPhone wallpaper, Apple included those as well in the settings app.

Jumping into the settings we see the model labeled as the iPod touch (7th generation) and that the iOS version installed is the brand new iOS 12.3 -- with a fresh update to iOS 12.3.1 available on Wednesday.

iPod touch (2019) Geekbench 4 scores
iPod touch (2019) Geekbench 4 scores

We fired up Geekbench 4 on our new device to see how that A10 Fusion processor would fare. The new iPod touch earned a single core score of 2504 and a multi-core score of 4696. That blows away the previous iPod touch scores of 1330 and 2250

We saw different variations of these numbers when repeatedly running the test. It still ranks below the iPhone 7 though, which also had the A10 Fusion. That device got a 3410 and a 5744 on the single and multi-core tests respectively.

iPod touch (2019) promoting Apple Arcade
iPod touch (2019) promoting Apple Arcade

This device certainly feels faster and we noticed no lag as we zoomed around the OS. This device is clearly going to be a great miniature gaming device (amongst other uses) with Apple heavily promoting the upcoming Apple Arcade service.

iPod touch (2019) playing Fortnite
iPod touch (2019) playing Fortnite

"Fortnite" will also find home the iPod touch for many people, something we will be trying ourselves soon to see how the A10 Fusion can handle it.

Overall, the iPod touch upgrade feels solid and the device feels like it has fresh life breathed into it even if it has a stagnant design. Keep your eyes glued to AppleInsider for further coverage and review of the new 2019 iPod touch.

Where to buy

Both B&H Photo and Amazon are currently accepting preorders for the seventh-generation iPod touch in a variety of colors and storage capacities.

32GB iPod touch (2019) 128GB iPod touch (2019) 256GB iPod touch (2019)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    It’s a lovely device. Sadly I already use an iPod Touch 1G for my music, besides my  Watch & iPhone SE.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
     :#  :D :* :#. Got to be kidding!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Getting one for my 10-year-old granddaughter. She needs to be able to be in contact with her parents from school since so much is happening in schools nowadays. She can FaceTime with her over Wi-Fi just fine, no need to pay the price of a phone.  Great!
    racerhomie3gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I am glad they updated this. Don’t understand why they didn’t just go for the A12 though for longevity and performance reasons. maybe power consumption limitations?
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The best use of an iPod touch is to extend the older iPhones. Say, I can turn on the Hotspot on my iPhone 6 Plus, and watch YouTube without subscription to the premium service. The new iPod touch, using hotspot connection, is my second screen with a faster A10 Fusion processor running the latest iOS. 
    What I need is a flipping case which can host two devices together. 

This is money for value. Fantastic! 
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 18
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Can you make a call using Apps and wifi with this?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    The iPod touch is an odd product. I don’t know who the target customer is. It has a limited future with an A10 processor. It is not a phone. It is baffling. Maybe it is marketed for children.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MisterKit said:
    The iPod touch is an odd product. I don’t know who the target customer is. It has a limited future with an A10 processor. It is not a phone. It is baffling. Maybe it is marketed for children.
    You're in luck, we have a list of who the target customers are.

MisterKitronnfruitstandninjabaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    MisterKit said:

The point is well taken. Now here is another point to consider. Is there any sense at all from a $199 device that can do it all to a $749 device that can do it all plus make phone calls?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Has the RAM been confirmed? Is it only 2GB or more?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Can't tell for sure, but seems like there is no FM tuner ?   I have the last generation iPod nano and love having FM option.  Both at home and when traveling.   Really cool to travel to other countries and scan their FM stations for the local music and news, etc.  It would also have been nice if they did 64gb starting capacity for that $199.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    M68000 said:
    Can't tell for sure, but seems like there is no FM tuner ?   I have the last generation iPod nano and love having FM option.  Both at home and when traveling.   Really cool to travel to other countries and scan their FM stations for the local music and news, etc.  It would also have been nice if they did 64gb starting capacity for that $199.
    Nano was it on that front.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18

MisterKit said:
    MisterKit said:

The point is well taken. Now here is another point to consider. Is there any sense at all from a $199 device that can do it all to a $749 device that can do it all plus make phone calls?
    Performance, video recording, and better photography are main differentiators between the touch and the iPhone. A better compare is to an iPhone 7. Is the $199 device a good compare to an iPhone 7 which can be had for $300 or less from a carrier with a data plan?
    tenchi211watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
     I wonder how good it sounds....?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    kevin kee said:
    Can you make a call using Apps and wifi with this?
    Yup. FaceTime Audio and Video (including group), and any VOIP. It just doesn’t have a cellular radio, so you can’t get a data plan for it and that means you have to be within range of WiFi.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18

MisterKit said:
    MisterKit said:

Performance, video recording, and better photography are main differentiators between the touch and the iPhone. A better compare is to an iPhone 7. Is the $199 device a good compare to an iPhone 7 which can be had for $300 or less from a carrier with a data plan?
    Again your point is well taken.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    But why an A10? Apple put an A12 in the iPad mini 5 and Air 3. The Touch is a minimally adequate device. Just enough for today but not enough for tomorrow. These chips are not stored in a warehouse. They are manufactured as needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    asdfljkadasdfljkad Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The A10 chip has the same geekbench score as the A9 chip on iphone se?