Japan Display getting $729M bailout after Apple agrees to restructure debt payments

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2019
LCD supplier Japan Display has now renegotiated its debts, reportedly including with Apple, and says that the $729 million bailout will be formalized next month.

The iPhone screen maker Japan Display Inc says that a proposed $729 million bailout is to proceed and that the Chinese-Taiwanese consortium will formalize their investment by June 14. It follows renegotiations over Japan Display's debts with Reuters reporting that Apple has agreed to wait for payments it is owed.

Japan Display has not named Apple but did say that "a client" to whom it owned money has now agreed to halve the pace of repayment for two years. In the report on Thursday morning, Reuters suggested that the restructure was by Apple, given that Apple provided at most of the $1.5 billion cost of building a Japan Display plant in 2015. A Japan Display official said in April that the company still owed this unnamed client around $900 million.

At the time, the Japanese firm agreed to repay Apple through a percentage of screen sales. The company's overall financial problems have been exacerbated by this decision to build a plant to make LCD panels. With a decline in LCD use following both a drop in phone demand and a move to OLED displays instead, the plant has reportedly been running at only half its capacity.

Members of the consortium including Taiwanese flat-screen maker TPK Holding Co, had agreed to invest in Japan Display in April but the formal decision was delayed while the company's finances were reexamined.

Previously, the largest shareholder in the iPhone screen company was the Japanese government-backed INCJ fund. The fund offered to forgive 44.7 billion yen (approximately $408 million) in debt shortly after the bailout request, in exchange for Japan Display's 27.2% stake in OLED panel maker JOLED.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple has a reputation of pounding really hard on suppliers to get the lowest price on components. So Apple loans Japan Display money yet keeps pounding on them to keep prices down? And Japan display needs a bailout because it’s having trouble making a profit? Duh.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple has a reputation of pounding really hard on suppliers to get the lowest price on components. So Apple loans Japan Display money yet keeps pounding on them to keep prices down? And Japan display needs a bailout because it’s having trouble making a profit? Duh.

Japan respects Apple, I would help them if I were Apple.

Heck, I'd give them more money and get away from Scamscum.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    There has to be something we're not privy to regarding Japan Display.  The only reason this company is still running is multiple bailout loans.  It's pretty obvious they can't pay back the loans, yet companies, investment funds, and gov't keep giving them money.  I think you're right in that they're never going to make a profit because they owe too much.  Japan Display is that recent college grad who took out  multiple loans to get through school.  Graduates with massive debt, but has to take a job that can't even begin to put a dent in that debt load.  So to get by, he takes out more loans... increasing the debt load.  

Outside looking in, keeping JD afloat doesn't make good business sense imo.  There has to be more to it.  
  • Reply 4 of 9
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    lkrupp said:
    There has to be something we're not privy to regarding Japan Display.  The only reason this company is still running is multiple bailout loans.  It's pretty obvious they can't pay back the loans, yet companies, investment funds, and gov't keep giving them money.  I think you're right in that they're never going to make a profit because they owe too much.  Japan Display is that recent college grad who took out  multiple loans to get through school.  Graduates with massive debt, but has to take a job that can't even begin to put a dent in that debt load.  So to get by, he takes out more loans... increasing the debt load.  

Outside looking in, keeping JD afloat doesn't make good business sense imo.  There has to be more to it.  
    I just read the other day that AT&T is sitting onsite $200B in debt. I'm guessing that creating the AT&T empire the second time was a heck of a lot harder than the first. It's also the case that, with few exceptions for streaming (see Disney), content creation can be derive very little net gain over and above adding / retaining subscribers. Netflix will spend $15B on content this year, and still doesn't have much in the way of positive cash flow. Apple has "dipped" its toe in the water to the tune of better than $1B, but is essentially shoring up its ecosystem.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    “...to whom it OWED money...”, not OWNED money.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

I just read the other day that AT&T is sitting onsite $200B in debt. I'm guessing that creating the AT&T empire the second time was a heck of a lot harder than the first. It's also the case that, with few exceptions for streaming (see Disney), content creation can be derive very little net gain over and above adding / retaining subscribers. Netflix will spend $15B on content this year, and still doesn't have much in the way of positive cash flow. Apple has "dipped" its toe in the water to the tune of better than $1B, but is essentially shoring up its ecosystem.
    None of those companies you mentioned are being propped up by loans from others.  JD having debt isn't the point of my comment.  JD having debt AND being continually propped up AND seemingly having no real prospects to repay the debt... that is the point of my comment.  That's why I said there must be more to JD than we realize.  
  • Reply 7 of 9
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:

None of those companies you mentioned are being propped up by loans from others.  JD having debt isn't the point of my comment.  JD having debt AND being continually propped up AND seemingly having no real prospects to repay the debt... that is the point of my comment.  That's why I said there must be more to JD than we realize.  
    Yakuza bleeding off cash perhaps?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    lkrupp said:

Japan respects Apple, I would help them if I were Apple.

Heck, I'd give them more money and get away from Scamscum.
    they have to make better displays than the koreans, plain and simple. japan was resting on their laurels when korea swept through (sort of how like japan and others did when america's automotive was resting on their laurels).
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Good, now tool up for MicroLED.