Cardiogram judging most exciting WWDC keynote moments by monitoring Apple Watch heart rate...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple Watch app company Cardiogram will attempt to work out what the most exciting part of Apple's WWDC 2019 keynote will be, by monitoring the heart rate of the app's users during the on-stage event to see when the highest points occur.

Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference keynote is known to be the venue that reveals upcoming major feature changes coming to the company's operating systems, including iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS, along with the occasional surprise. Much debate occurs after the speeches and demonstrations are over about what the most exciting announcements are, but Cardiogram aims to determine what new features make an Apple user's heart race.

Cardiogram will be allowing its users to start recording their heart rate on the Apple Watch continuously before the WWDC keynote begins, one which uses the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor. The data is shared minute-by-minute with the company, which is then compiled with data provided by other users.

During the event, a dedicated live heart rate chart will update to show what the current heart rate of participants taking part in the monitoring scheme is, and what the group rate was in previous minutes. In theory, the heart rate will be highest shortly after major new announcements.

The experiment builds on top of features Cardiogram offers in terms of in-depth heart-rate monitoring. In January, it launched a premium service that introduced a Family Mode to share health metrics with two other people, and the ability to share the data with a doctor.

WWDC 2019 will start on June 3 and run through the week at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose. AppleInsider will be at WWDC, with continuing coverage before, during, and after the keynote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'll be watching the keynote for sure, but I think that for my heart rate to jump, there would have to be something truly amazing or unexpected shown.

My Apple Watch currently tells me that my HR is 68. I don't expect it to go above 80 when watching the keynote.

I suppose that if somebody is on a treadmill or something while watching the keynote, that would bring their heartrate up.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 2 of 14
    apple ][ said:
    I suppose that if somebody is on a treadmill or something while watching the keynote, that would bring their heartrate up.
    Hmm, it would take a coordinated effort of Cariogram users but it would be kind of funny to get active during a part of the keynote that isn’t very exciting, just to throw off the results. Such as when Tim talks about how many apps have been downloaded to date or the entire time Eddy Cue is on stage.
    entropys
  • Reply 3 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    apple ][ said:
    I suppose that if somebody is on a treadmill or something while watching the keynote, that would bring their heartrate up.
    Hmm, it would take a coordinated effort of Cariogram users but it would be kind of funny to get active during a part of the keynote that isn’t very exciting, just to throw off the results. Such as when Tim talks about how many apps have been downloaded to date or the entire time Eddy Cue is on stage.
    Kinda expected an AI article on what to expect from the WWDC Keynote, but I don't see one.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    apple ][ said:

While your post started out funny, the knock of Eddy was not nice. You realize he's a person with feelings, just doing his best, right? He's likely accomplished more in his life than 95% of us ever will. No, we don't have to like everyone in this world, but we can choose to be decent humans that don't publicly bash others.

I think this experiment by Cadiogram is very creative and a fantastic idea! It's not really the results that matter, but the journey getting the experiment to work. They'll learn a lot from this, I'm sure. 

fastasleeplolliverjony0
  • Reply 5 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    apple ][ said:

While your post started out funny, the knock of Eddy was not nice. You realize he's a person with feelings, just doing his best, right? He's likely accomplished more in his life than 95% of us ever will. No, we don't have to like everyone in this world, but we can choose to be decent humans that don't publicly bash others.
    Yeah the “I hate Eddy” meme is peculiar. He worked closely with Jobs and was responsible for some big successes. People read rumor sites and think what they read is actual fact, and seem to think Cue doesn’t have a (very demanding) boss or something, like he would be allowed to just sit around and bungle things all day. Perhaps it originates from his on-stage persona as loud-shirt-guy or something, which is also not reality. 
    fastasleeplolliverjony0
  • Reply 6 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    apple ][ said:
    I always answer the exact opposite of my intentions when responding to political surveys. Given how actual elections are quite different to poll predictions, and barring methodology issues, it seems a heap of other people do the same. I find it entertaining.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 7 of 14
    (Note to self: people are hypersensitive about implying Eddy Cue not being an exciting presenter)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    apple ][ said:
    I'll be watching the keynote for sure, but I think that for my heart rate to jump, there would have to be something truly amazing or unexpected shown.

My Apple Watch currently tells me that my HR is 68. I don't expect it to go above 80 when watching the keynote.

I suppose that if somebody is on a treadmill or something while watching the keynote, that would bring their heartrate up.
    If they tease the Mac Pro, my rate would jump a bit. Or if they blindside us with MacOS 11, that might do it also.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Maybe measure it against a simple analysis of the volume of applause.  Is there such thing as an Applausometer?  Sounds 50s retro, gotta exist.  
    lollivermattinoz
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MaxjokarMaxjokar Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have tested several devices on different patients, and didn't get any good result though!hope Apple company listens to its feedback! 
    There lots of app ready to represent to but I'm afraid Apple doesn't have time to its feedback. 
    If ure keen on I'm ready to cooperate!
    [email protected] 

• Reply 11 of 14
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Maybe measure it against a simple analysis of the volume of applause.  Is there such thing as an Applausometer?  Sounds 50s retro, gotta exist.  
    Opportunity Knocks used one, albeit not an actual measuring device but a prop.

Setting up sound level monitors in an indoor auditorium is pretty simple though.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    This is a fantastic app though sometimes it doesn't work (the heart icon appears in grey).  But I'm not using it to track the peak of my heartbeat.  Instead, I find it interesting that the bars will appear in color blue, i.e. my heartbeat is down below 60 bpm.  I use it to do meditation and it's effective in the sense that I can quickly reduce my heartbeat to 50 and below.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    ivanh said:
    I use it to do meditation and it's effective in the sense that I can quickly reduce my heartbeat to 50 and below.
    My health provider thinks it's weird that I can drop my blood pressure about 10 points WHILE TAKING THE MEASUREMENT.  It's all in your focus on calm.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    BrandonBBrandonB Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    (Cardiogram developer here) If you own an Apple Watch and want to participate, you can join directly at this link: https://yy8rn.app.goo.gl/?link=https://cardiogr.am/u/?jc=as06al&s=1609874&isi=1000017994&ibi=com.cardiogram.ios.heart&apn=com.cardiogram.v1