Target recalled 90K 'heyday' Lightning cables over fire hazard concerns

Posted:
in iPhone
Target is recalling some of its "heyday" branded Lightning cables over shock and fire hazard concerns after several incidents were reported.

heyday Lightning cable
A heyday Lightning cable that is part of the recall

According to the recall notice, three-foot Lightning to USB-A cables with nylon braiding and metal ends are being recalled. If the metal comes in contact with the USB wall charger plug prongs while charging it can become electrically charged and start a fire or shock the user, the notice said.

Target has received 14 reports of these cables sparking or igniting and advises customers to stop using the product immediately. Owners can return eligible cables to a Target store for a refund.

heydey cable close
The heydey logo is printed on the end of the iridescent cable

Cables that are part of the recall are as described above, with nylon sheathing, metal ends and a purple, green, blue iridescent color scheme. The "heyday" mark can be seen on the end of the cable and the model number, "080 08 8261," is printed on the product's packaging.

Roughly 90,000 cables are included in the recall and were sold between June of 2018 and January of 2019 in Target stores and Target.com for around $15.

The impacted Lightning cables are part of the "heyday" brand, one of Target's store brands that also makes Apple Watch bands, speakers and other everyday accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Well they're hideously ugly. 

Also, as this is just a cable and not power supply, how does one get a shock from a cable that only has 5v running through it? 🤔
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Haha, so the forum software can't handle emojis, so editing is broken. One emoji literally breaks the rest of the webpage. This software has been complete crap since it was introduced, when will AI ditch it?

tokyojimu
  • Reply 3 of 8
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Is this a MFI Cable?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Is this a MFI Cable?
    Yep, if you go to the target site and look, that's what they claim.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    elijahg said:
    Haha, so the forum software can't handle emojis, so editing is broken. One emoji literally breaks the rest of the webpage. This software has been complete crap since it was introduced, when will AI ditch it?

AI has it's own set of emoji's within the forum and those work fine. If you try any IOS emoji's all hell breaks loose! Haha  I noticed using the AI app and just accessing through the web. While they are fixing this can you please fix how the app works with iPad?!  It's so frustrating to try and post and you just can't get the correct space to type..uugghh.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 6 of 8
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    jcs2305 said:
    elijahg said:

AI has it's own set of emoji's within the forum and those work fine. If you try any IOS emoji's all hell breaks loose! Haha  I noticed using the AI app and just accessing through the web. While they are fixing this can you please fix how the app works with iPad?!  It's so frustrating to try and post and you just can't get the correct space to type..uugghh.
    Never used the app, but the safari interface works fine on the iPad. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Amazon Basics power cables I’ve purchased to replace my easily frayed Apple ones have been really fantastic. Wish Apple would upgrade their own offerings to be braided and as durable.
    edited May 2019
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    MplsP said:
    jcs2305 said:
    elijahg said:

Never used the app, but the safari interface works fine on the iPad 

There are are others here that have complained of issues with iPad as well.  I am using the 10.5 iPad Pro for reference ..

If I quote someone and then go to the bottom of the page it cannot get the cursor in the area it needs to be for me to type a proper reply. The cursor will light up in the previously quoted comment so if I type it looks like I am continuing the quoted person post and no matter what I do I can’t get back to the correct posting to post  

So yes the app and website work great on iPad ...if I am reading and just moving about the site... but sometimes it will give me the issue that I described when I am trying to quote and post.