Apple bumps up 4G App Store download limit for iPhones & iPads to 200MB

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has quietly raised the cap on cellular App Store downloads from 150 megabytes to 200, an acknowledgement of the growing size of iPhone and iPad apps in general.

iOS 12 App Store download limit

It's not clear when the change was made apart from sometime this week. The limit is intended to prevent people with restricted data plans -- many people in the U.S. -- from accidentally incurring overage fees, which are often disproportionate to the amount of data used.

Apple has been relatively slow to adjust its download limit. In fact the last such move dates back to September 2017, when the ceiling rose from 100 megabytes. It was only in 2013 that the company hiked it from 50 megabytes.

When the App Store first launched in 2008, the cap was only 10 megabytes -- less than individual art assets on some modern websites. iPhones were limited to 3G speeds at the time however, and when capped, data plans were often much more conservative.

Even iOS 12 has no way of disabling download limits. Instead people are prompted to connect to a Wi-Fi network, at which point downloads can resume.

Most of the apps impacted by this week's news are likely to be games, since they often require large art and audio assets. Most A-list games like Hearthstone are well over the 200-megabyte limit though, as are many non-gaming titles. Facebook tops 457 megabytes, despite occasional efforts to jettison unused features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    I would presume this would also be the case with updates as well as new downloads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Apple is a dinosaur in this regard. (download caps)

Just prompt the users rather than put in arbitrary restrictions.
    bonobobtokyojimucaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 11
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member

Then users would sue  for their high phone bill 
    lkruppmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member

I agree that Apple should allow knowledgeable users to override the default, even if the setting is somewhat buried in the settings app. The restriction is kind of silly for those of us whose only connection to the internet is through a cellular hotspot like AT&T’s HomeBase or even another device acting as a hotspot, which fortunately Apple treats as a general purpose broadband connection. Oh well. 
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Let users override it. I have unlimited data. These restrictions are silly.
    caladanianAppleDumpling
  • Reply 6 of 11
    From what I’ve read elsewhere, this limit can vary by carrier! I saw a 150 MB limit recently. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Let users override it. I have unlimited data. These restrictions are silly.
    I agree and I am on unlimited also, but many folks are not....even in 2019.  As someone else mentioned I can see kids blowing up mom or dad's data and within a few months there is a class action lawsuit. It's a shame that Apple has to walk this line to appease some of their customer base and frustrate others at the same time.
    watto_cobraAppleDumpling
  • Reply 8 of 11
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member
    And here I thought it was the carriers imposing this cap to avoid congestion-induced "negative user experience" ...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
     Why doesn’t Apple just remove the cap limit altogether, and simply alert people if the download exceeds 200 megabytes.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sfolaxsfolax Posts: 49member

Then users would sue  for their high phone bill 
    But Google allows this and doesn't get sued?