iTunes social media blackout hints at app break-up at WWDC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple may have confirmed the breakup of iTunes into a collection of separate apps is in the works, by taking time in the days before WWDC to remove content from view on the main social media accounts associated with iTunes.

Rumors and leaks have hinted at Apple splitting apart its long-standing iTunes app into multiple separate elements, but outside of data mining finding evidence, there have been relatively few clues from Apple itself. Ahead of the WWDC keynote on Monday, Apple seems to have let slip something in its renovation.

As spotted on the Apple subreddit by u/MalteseAppleFan, posts on some of Apple's social media pages for iTunes have started to disappear. While the post says "all" posts have gone, this is not quite true, but the changes strongly suggest some major renovations to its social media strategy are on the way.

The Facebook and Instagram pages for iTunes no longer include any posts for the service or its content at all. While basic social media images, like the profile logo and headers, exist, the Instagram profile also points users towards the AppleTV account for "more entertainment updates."

The official iTunes Twitter account is in a mixed state, as it bears the same profile photo and header as the Facebook account, but it still has many posts. The last post made on the account was on May 22, but it has retweeted a few messages from the AppleTV account.

Apple is currently believed to be separating out its Music and Podcasts elements from iTunes on macOS, with an app for TV also touted, taking them out of the all-in-one iTunes app completely.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I've been a supporter of Apple since the late 1990s but every Apple Mouse variation and every instance of iTunes I have totally despised. It would take me several pages of text to tell you how much and why I despise them. With iTunes gone, hopefully that solves one of these two problems.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 19
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    With how good Apple is at programming and user interfaces... iTunes is the curious abomination.

The only thing I’ve used iTunes for, in the last decade, is wiping/updating iOS devices.
    edited June 2019 mwhiteflyingdp
  • Reply 3 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Caught this on Facebook today, talk about getting the story 100% wrong. 

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-apple-kills-itunes-20190531-story.html
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Hopefully if there is a change it will be for the  better

Enough said!

• Reply 5 of 19
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-apple-kills-itunes-20190531-story.html
    The media ignorance of tech is often truly awe inspiring. 
    claire1
  • Reply 6 of 19
    JFC_PA said:

All those poor people in the comments thinking they’re going to lose their iTunes library or not be able to buy albums anymore. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 19
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    I don't think fragmentation is the answer. Just put some Apple magic into iTunes Apple!!

JFC_PA said:

All those poor people in the comments thinking they’re going to lose their iTunes library or not be able to buy albums anymore. 

Most likely android users pretending to be Apple users.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    JFC_PA said:

Didn't that text say more or less the same as the AI report? 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple needs to integrate buying music into the Music app. And if a song/album isn’t able to be streamed jut have it grayed out or a message below it saying not available for streaming but you could still buy it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    With how good Apple is at programming and user interfaces... iTunes is the curious abomination.

The only thing I’ve used iTunes for, in the last decade, is wiping/updating iOS devices.
    You have to use it if you want to add your own music to iCloud music library. There’s no way to add music to your library directly from iOS.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

It's like the article was written by a Bot and then, after reading the result someone goes "that doesn't really make any sense", and then added the last sentence.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    just saw this update for my 09 Mac Pro. probably for compatibility with upcoming changes
  • Reply 13 of 19
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    claire1 said:
    I don't think fragmentation is the answer. Just put some Apple magic into iTunes Apple!!

JFC_PA said:

Most likely android users pretending to be Apple users.
    Oh give it a rest already! There are plenty of ignorant iPhone users that don’t have a freaking clue about anything as well. I see idiotic people everyday that have an iPhone in their hand. 
  • Reply 14 of 19
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    I've been a supporter of Apple since the late 1990s but every Apple Mouse variation and every instance of iTunes I have totally despised. It would take me several pages of text to tell you how much and why I despise them. With iTunes gone, hopefully that solves one of these two problems.

I’ve been a supporter since the early 90’s - It was great up until the iPod integration - then went downhill fast. The Great ‘library/meta destruction’ by Apple when they jacked everyone’s music collection to force them onto the store - that was the end of iTunes for tens of millions. Agree about the mice. Boggles the mind that Apple has never been able to design even a half decent mouse in its entire history.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I agree about the Apple mouse, I've yet to try a good one. My first Macintosh was a 1994 performa, and I've disliked them since. He's hoping that one day they will come out with a comfortable well working mouse, it doesn't have to look pretty....
    flyingdp
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I agree about the Apple mouse, I've yet to try a good one. My first Macintosh was a 1994 performa, and I've disliked them since. He's hoping that one day they will come out with a comfortable well working mouse, it doesn't have to look pretty....
    As a DOS/Windows users since the late 80s, I absolutely love this Magic Mouse.  It even works on Windows.

The only downside is the brain dead location of the charging port.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think Jimmy Iovine’s input finally killed iTunes.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Well we’ll see shortly how close the rumor mill got. 

“Ending the download era”?
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 19 of 19
    IreneW said:
    JFC_PA said:

Didn't that text say more or less the same as the AI report? 
    The original headline said 

Apple will shut down iTunes Store, ending the download era, report says

They removed "Store" from the headline and may have clarified a bit in the article, but originally it was literally saying iTunes Store and downloads were dead.

"June 3, 2:26 p.m.: This article was updated to clarify the distinction between the iTunes store and the iTunes app."