Mass Google outage impacted Gmail, YouTube & other services [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Google experienced a massive outage on Sunday with Gmail, YouTube, Google Drive, and several other services that rely on Google's cloud architecture unavailable or otherwise impacted.

YouTube oops image dureing outage
YouTube oops image dureing outage

Users visiting the various services are being met with all varieties of error messages on Google's part and has prevented users from accessing email, uploading YouTube studio, and more. The problems began to manifest at approximately 2:58 p.m. Eastern Time.

Google's status page highlights Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Hangouts, Meet, Chat, and Voice as all being subject to the outage.

If YouTube isn't loading for you or you're experiencing error messages, we're working to fix it!

-- TeamYouTube (@TeamYouTube)

Third-party services that rely on Google infrastructure are being impacted as well. At present, there is no estimate for recovery, nor has Google provided information regarding the root cause of the incident.

Apple's own iCloud services are mildly impacted, with the company reporting that less than 1% of users are seeing slower than normal response. AppleInsider is not experiencing any iCloud complete outages, nor have any been reported to us.

DownDetector YouTube status map
DownDetector YouTube status map

DownDetector is highlighting the outage as mostly being contained to the northeast corridor with a smattering of user reports across the rest of the United States.

Update 4:45 p.m. Eastern Time: Google reports that "Users may see slow performance or intermittent errors" due to high levels of network congestion. The company believes it has identified the root cause of the congestion, and expects to return to normal service shortly.

Update 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time: In a brief update, Google has confirmed the issues, and notes that "engineering teams have completed the first phase of their mitigation work and are currently implementing the second phase, after which we expect to return to normal service."

Update 7:30 p.m. Eastern time: Google reports that all services have been restored, more than four hours after the first reported outage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    ljm828312ljm828312 Posts: 27member
    Explains everything as to which I can’t get access to my mail or YouTube.
    pennsylvania region here.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    ljm828312 said:
    Explains everything as to which I can’t get access to my mail or YouTube.
    pennsylvania region here.
    Same here Arizona.

• Reply 3 of 13
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I'm having some issues in the UK
  • Reply 4 of 13
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    Lol. Good. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I’m surprised it’s being reported. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No problems in the midwest around St. Louis. When an Apple service hiccups the shit hits the fan in about 10 seconds and the tech blog comment sections fill up with rants about how Steve would never have allowed this. How about you Googlers? Did you stroke out like the Apple trolls do when this happened? Just asking.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    Same in Portugal. YouTube got all wonky during the late afternoon (GMT) in all browsers.
    I could see the history in some of them (the others would show me the page as if I was logged out, and if I did try to log in again I’d get the error message; also, if I deliberately logged out and logged in again, app-based 2FA wouldn’t work but the old-style SMS-based one would), but one video in particular would only load the main video frame and none of the rest of the content, only placeholders for the top nav bar.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Gonna go out on a limb and say it didn't impact Google from machine learning all the emails the impacted users were unable to access.  Fear not.... The limb is decades strong.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    genovelle said:
    I’m surprised it’s being reported. 
    Don't worry our resident Google representative will explain all with lots of links.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    lkrupp said:
    No problems in the midwest around St. Louis. When an Apple service hiccups the shit hits the fan in about 10 seconds and the tech blog comment sections fill up with rants about how Steve would never have allowed this. How about you Googlers? Did you stroke out like the Apple trolls do when this happened? Just asking.
    Obviously, our resident Google troll is not yet briefed.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Just wanted to point out that this happens to all of the big tech firms: Amazon most notoriously, Apple occasionally, and Google really rather rarely (good for them). But no more "this never happens to Google" comments will be tolerated.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I was in the middle of uploading cover art for a new video on my YouTube channel when it hit the wall.  Would not let me save changes in YouTube Creator Studio.  I needed just 20 seconds more to reach my mouse over and change the status from Private to Public and hit Save. That was just before 2am here in Vietnam, which would be just before 3pm ET.  Yup.  Lost about 6 hours of potential views on that video until I woke up in the morning and was able to set it as Public.  Another YouTuber here I collaborate with wasn’t even able to sign into Creator Studio.  So some services I think were maybe globally unavailable.  
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    “Other services” include Google Home, Google Assistant and syncing with Philips Hue and other smart devices. Not recovered fully at overseas.
    edited June 2019