iOS 13 'Dark Mode' and new Reminders app shown off in alleged screenshots

Posted:
in iOS
A new image supposedly depicting iOS 13's long-rumored 'dark mode' has surfaced hours ahead of its expected launch at WWDC 2019, an alleged screenshot that also shows off what the new Reminders app could look like on an iPhone.

Dark Mode has been the topic of multiple rumors surrounding "iOS 13," giving iOS an alternative appearance in a similar vein to the feature's operation in macOS. In effect, the mode should make the docks, tab bars, and other visual elements in iOS darker, while making dark or black text elements lighter or white, with similar changes possible in apps compatible with the feature.

An image posted to Twitter by Ben Geskin claims to show an iPhone running iOS 13 in dark mode, with the New Reminders app open. The appearance of the app in the shot seems to hide the iPhone notch quite effectively, due to the black notch blending with the black areas of the display.

iOS 13 - Dark Mode - New Reminders app pic.twitter.com/klr5sR3rph

-- Ben Geskin (@BenGeskin)

The Reminders app is shown to have a few elements, but the primary section shows four quadrants labeled Today, Scheduled, All, and Flagged, along with counters for each area. Above is a search box, while below is the "My Lists" section where the reminders themselves reside.

Despite seemingly convincing, there is no guarantee that the image is a real screenshot of iOS 13, but it does bear a similar appearance to other images that have recently surfaced claiming to show the same thing.

Apple will be revealing iOS 13 today during the WWDC 2019 keynote address.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    As much as I like the option of dark mode for indoor use I'd also like to see an "adaptive mode" that automatically changes the screen appearance (not just brightness levels) based on ambient lighting conditions. Dark mode isn't so great for me in outdoor lighting conditions, especially in bright sunlight. 

The biggest announcement regarding iOS 13 for me will be finding out which devices will be left behind. Apple was very generous with iOS 12 by supporting older devices without degrading their performance. I imagine some shareholders were none too thrilled with that "generosity" and would prefer a higher bar be established that will incentivize device upgrades. We'll see.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So Reminders adds to Notes, alarms, Calendar and what else? That’s a lot of places to potentially forget where these things are kept.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    iOS is going to need a lot more than Dark Mode and a Reminders app if Apple want to continue to fend off Android. 

I know it's going to sound like a lazy trolling sort of thing to say but as someone who has used iOS for a decade now, you do wonder what happened to being innovative at Apple. 

I guess you could argue part of the beauty of iOS is that it is virtually the same as v1, and it's still fantastic, but for me - notifications, widgets, notifications and several lock in's continue to hamper iOS 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    So Reminders adds to Notes, alarms, Calendar and what else? That’s a lot of places to potentially forget where these things are kept.
    Just set a reminder where you wrote your note, or a note of where you set your reminder.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

kkqd1337 said:
    iOS is going to need a lot more than Dark Mode and a Reminders app if Apple want to continue to fend off Android. 

I know it's going to sound like a lazy trolling sort of thing to say but as someone who has used iOS for a decade now, you do wonder what happened to being innovative at Apple. 

I guess you could argue part of the beauty of iOS is that it is virtually the same as v1, and it's still fantastic, but for me - notifications, widgets, notifications and several lock in's continue to hamper iOS 
    You're right, it does. You're on drugs if you think these will be the only improvements to iOS. Apple has demonstrated for over a decade that they continue to polish and iterate. I'd never trade my iOS device down to an older one, let alone some android knockoff.
    Soli
  • Reply 6 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

kkqd1337 said:

You're right, it does. You're on drugs if you think these will be the only improvements to iOS. Apple has demonstrated for over a decade that they continue to polish and iterate. I'd never trade my iOS device down to an older one, let alone some android knockoff.
    Don;t forget that it's virtually the same as it was demoed in January 2007.

• Reply 7 of 8
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Soli said:

kkqd1337 said:

Errr

maybe I am on drugs... because aside from the graphics - all of those apps look identical to me?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kkqd1337 said:
    Soli said:

kkqd1337 said:

Errr

maybe I am on drugs... because aside from the graphics - all of those apps look identical to me?
    Yes, except for the entire look and feel and code base they're exactly the same. :eyeroll: