Apple may fork iOS as iPad-specific version called 'iPadOS'

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2019
Apple could be creating a fork of iOS dedicated for use on the iPad, according to a change in the Developer License Terms and Conditions, with the iPad-specific version allegedly named "iPadOS."

Barely an hour before Apple's managerial team takes to the stage at the Worldwide Developers Conference for the keynote address, a supposed leak indicates there could be a major change on the horizon for iOS, namely the splitting off of the iPad from the main iOS line.

Spotted by developer Steve Moser on Twitter, text that appears to show the Developer License Terms and Conditions has a definition for "Apple Software" referring to Apple's software development kits, as well as the operating systems. The list includes iOS, watchOS, tvOS, and macOS as expected, as well as the curious addition of "iPadOS."

Apple is renaming iOS on the iPad to:

iPadOS

pic.twitter.com/yRwIAaqW14

-- Steve Moser (@SteveMoser)

If true, the change suggests Apple may make a version of iOS that will be geared towards iPad usage, taking advantage of the bigger display. Arguably elements of iOS already do this, with some multitasking actions available only on iPad and the iPad Pro but not the iPhone or iPod touch.

Ultimately there is not much time left to find out if the supposed "iPadOS" is genuine, as it will likely be announced on stage within the next few hours if it is real.

Apple's iOS was originally called iPhoneOS. Apple's rebranding it to iOS wasn't fully complete until June 2010.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Apple:  We need to rename one of the most recognizable names in software because it's slightly different on iPad!  

Everyone:  

• Reply 2 of 10
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    That makes sense if they rename iOS to iPhoneOS too.

If the Venn-diagram of features overlaps less and less, it makes sense to fork the user-experience side of the operating system but keep the same code-base for all layers below, or else my phone caries the logic the iPad only utilizes. 

edited June 2019
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I don't give a damn what they call it.  If it means Apple will start to leverage the power of the iPad's chips to make it a more powerful tool... and take advantage of it's real estate...  hell they can call it "1STnTENDERBITS is a raging dumbass OS".  If it enhances the iPad's capabilities without regard to iPhone/iPod considerations, sign me up.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 4 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    I don't give a damn what they call it.  If it means Apple will start to leverage the power of the iPad's chips to make it a more powerful tool... and take advantage of it's real estate...  hell they can "1STnTENDERBITS is a raging dumbass OS".  If it enhances the iPad's capabilities without regard to iPhone/iPod considerations, sign me up.
    This. Name: completely unimportant. Function: everything. 
    1STnTENDERBITScornchip
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member
    This may open up a path for multi-user log-in, mouse support ... and performance gains.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cmd-z said:
    This may open up a path for multi-user log-in, mouse support ... and performance gains.
    TVOS has multi-user support so... here''s hoping.  If not right now, sometime in the very near future.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    I don't give a damn what they call it.  If it means Apple will start to leverage the power of the iPad's chips to make it a more powerful tool... and take advantage of it's real estate...  hell they can call it "1STnTENDERBITS is a raging dumbass OS".  If it enhances the iPad's capabilities without regard to iPhone/iPod considerations, sign me up.
    Thanks for your recommendation, that will be taken into serious consideration. Due to the matter, it may take some more time however.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    sdw2001 said:
    Apple:  We need to rename one of the most recognizable names in software because it's slightly different on iPad!  

Everyone:  

Have you used an iPad recently? Nearly every app, every screen, settings, controls, everything is different. From Photos, to Safari, to Mail to how you find something in Settings. Even a lot of third party Apps run differently on the iPad vs on an iPhone. This is way past due. And, now that they are freed from the fiction of it being the same as phoneOS, they CAN start really optimizing it for the iPad to take advantage of the power of these devices. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    IT'S True They just announced padOS
  • Reply 10 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    DAalseth said:
    sdw2001 said:

Everyone:  

Have you used an iPad recently? Nearly every app, every screen, settings, controls, everything is different. From Photos, to Safari, to Mail to how you find something in Settings. Even a lot of third party Apps run differently on the iPad vs on an iPhone. This is way past due. And, now that they are freed from the fiction of it being the same as phoneOS, they CAN start really optimizing it for the iPad to take advantage of the power of these devices. 

Yes.  It's not that much different in my experience.  The multitasking is the biggest thing for me.