CarPlay gets first major overhaul since release with iOS 13

Posted:
in iOS edited March 2020
CarPlay is getting it's first major overhaul since its original release with iOS 13 including a new dashboard, new calendar app, and much more.

The new CarPlay dashboard in iOS 13
The new CarPlay dashboard in iOS 13

When hooking up your iPhone with iOS 13 to your CarPlay receiver you are met with an entirely new dashboard. It allows you to view multiple things at once such as a map to one side, your music controls to the right, and still room for smart suggestions like your garage door opener as you arrive home or your next calendar appointment.

Speaking of calendars, there is an entirely new calendar app just for CarPlay.

The new CarPlay Music app in iOS 13
The new CarPlay Music app in iOS 13

The Music app has been wholly redesigned with album art front and center with a streamlined interface.

Siri is less intrusive in iOS 13
Siri is less intrusive in iOS 13

When accessing Siri, the virtual assistant no longer takes the entire screen but stays minimized at the bottom of the display. Siri also now works with other third-party apps such as Waze for navigation and audio apps such as Pandora.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Ayup: CarPlay Music App making buying that Apple Music subscription more appealing. 

The very last thing I need on my dash is a calendar. But I would like to overlay weather on the map.

And wireless CarPlay would be nice - but I freely recognize that this is beyond Apple's control. But maybe they can devote some resources to help automakers do this? OTOH, this might be part of Project Titan. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,138member
    What the heck car is that with the giant freaking screen?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Probably a silly concern, but I hope that this new version of CarPlay doesn’t abandon cars that have supported it for years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    eightzero said:
    Ayup: CarPlay Music App making buying that Apple Music subscription more appealing. 

The very last thing I need on my dash is a calendar. But I would like to overlay weather on the map.

And wireless CarPlay would be nice - but I freely recognize that this is beyond Apple's control. But maybe they can devote some resources to help automakers do this? OTOH, this might be part of Project Titan. 
    I don't really need to view a full calendar, but seeing my next appointment, when it is, and the address could be really useful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    gordy said:
    Probably a silly concern, but I hope that this new version of CarPlay doesn’t abandon cars that have supported it for years.
    nah, will be backwards compatible for certain.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    I hope they have squashed all the bugs from today’s CarPlay, it’s barely useable as it is.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    tyler82 said:
    I hope they have squashed all the bugs from today’s CarPlay, it’s barely useable as it is.
    News to me. Have it in my Crosstrek and it's fantastic. 
    GeorgeBMaclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    TerminalTerminal Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    eightzero said:

You can buy an aftermarket head unit for wireless carplay but I think only more premium vehicles offer it since it tends to be more pricey. Other then convenience it drains the battery fairly quickly. I just wish that CarPlay as it is worked everytime. I have to unplug/plug it back in several times to get it working. It does not always "just work"
    tyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Terminal said:
    eightzero said:

You can buy an aftermarket head unit for wireless carplay but I think only more premium vehicles offer it since it tends to be more pricey. Other then convenience it drains the battery fairly quickly. I just wish that CarPlay as it is worked everytime. I have to unplug/plug it back in several times to get it working. It does not always "just work"
    I've had good luck with CarPlay on my FordSync 3. Which is good because it was actually one of the things I went looking for in a car. But it could be a lot better experience for sure.
    eightzero said:

I don't really need to view a full calendar, but seeing my next appointment, when it is, and the address could be really useful.
    Maybe Siri can help you out? Not sure why we need to "see" it (says eightzero who stepped off a curb just this morning to a walk signal only to hear screeching tires to my left driven by a person holding up a cell phone.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Lexus has large screens in their vehicles.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    tyler82 said:
    I experience small glitches on a regular basis. Nothing that makes it ‘barely useable,’ but annoying. The podcasts app is the main culprit and will stop playing and or either
    Terminal said:
    eightzero said:

I have the same problem. I’ve found that waiting 30 seconds or so after I start the car before plugging my phone in makes it more reliable. If I plug it in too soon it either won’t connect, or the car play screen comes up but the audio plays out of the phone rather than the car audio system. Interestingly, I’ve had similar problems using lightning headphones which makes me think it’s a problem with the phone or iOS rather than the car.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 12 of 22
    remik007remik007 Posts: 4member
    Looks like a Mercedes Benz (E Class?).  Nothing huge - a lot of modern cars have 12.3" infotainment screens these days.  BMW, Mercedes, Audi, apparently Lexus (someone mentioned above), etc.  I've had large screens in all my BMW cars for well over 7 years now... so these are definitely not new or unique in size anymore.

The current gen CarPlay (iOS 12 and below) has always felt so unpolished and unfinished, to me...  You have these large screens, but CarPlay would only use half the screen, leaving big black blob to the right.  Thankfully, BMW's split-screen option does allow you to display other content there, even matching album artwork when you play music via CarPlay - which does not show up in default Apple CarPlay system (!!! what a waste of space !!!).  Looking at the screenshots from iOS 13 and the keynote this morning, it looks like CarPlay FINALLY will be something I'll actually use.  I've had CarPlay for years in different cars, never used it beyond the setup/novelty run, always switching back to default BMW apps which are far superior.  iOS 13 may change that (reserving final judgment for when it's out).
    edited June 2019 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 13 of 22
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    How do you do a CarPlay update?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    bluefire1 said:
    How do you do a CarPlay update?
    You install iOS 13 on your iPhone.  :-)

CarPlay is basically a virtual screen - everything actually runs from your iPhone.  There's no logic or processing data in the car's infotainment system.  It's basically a dummy external iPhone display.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Terminal said:
    eightzero said:

I suspect that kind of connectivity thing has more to do with the unit that CarPlay is running on than CarPlay itself:   If the unit doesn't "see" your phone, neither will CarPlay.

Actually, I have a similar issue (although fairly rare) with a JVC unit (non-CarPlay).  It takes about 20 seconds for it to "see" my iPhone before Apple Music starts playing -- although using a USB/LIghtening cable is quicker.   And, sometimes, rarely, it doesn't connect at all and I have to turn the car off and restart it to reset the unit so it sees the phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    tyler82 said:
    I can’t say I’ve ever experienced any bugs with it...maybe your car doesn’t support it very well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    neteagleneteagle Posts: 1member
    Mercedes E-Class
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    CarPlay now includes a calendar? What about email? What about a web browser? What about Xcode? Aren't any of these things distracting? Shouldn't the government prohibit certain information on screens as "too much"? Does a calendar cross the threshold?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    remik007 said:
    Looks like a Mercedes Benz (E Class?).  Nothing huge - a lot of modern cars have 12.3" infotainment screens these days.  BMW, Mercedes, Audi, apparently Lexus (someone mentioned above), etc.  I've had large screens in all my BMW cars for well over 7 years now... so these are definitely not new or unique in size anymore.
    Ah, that explains why I have never seen a screen like that. :smiley: 

I won't begrudge folks their choice in cars, since I expect the same from them, but none of those brands holds much appeal for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    First thing that came to mind is "damn that looks distracting"..

Siri should be more involved, the screen should be less involved.

Even the AirPods update got it right.

tyler82 said:

Unfortunately Apple doesn't have control over the hardware from clueless car manufacturers. If Apple controlled the system from the hardware up, it would be a lot more reliable.
    watto_cobra