Apple debuts new $5999 Mac Pro with up to 28-core Xeon processors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 420
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    If you’re a Fortune 100 company... it’s going to be great!
    Quality tools are expensive. Do you need a tool this powerful? If so, great, here it is, you can do your job and produce value with it. If not, it's not for you, and that's fine. The iMac Pro, iMac, and Mini are great options for desktops.
    Uhhhh... yah. They designed a Mac Pro for Pixar and maybe 5 other massive design houses. What about the other 98% of content creators? 
    Where is the Mac for the small business that makes up 98% of the market? The freelancers who need a solid machine that they can upgrade over 7 years. iMac isn’t it. 

This is looks like a fantastic machine - but it misses the mark for what the average pro user has been asking for.
    Oops, you just confused your opinion for fact. If you disagree, please link to a definitive source that backs up your claim. 

There are plenty of Mac options for small businesses. Such businesses likely do not need a MacPro. Per Craig, the majority of their pro users are...developers. The new iMac and iMac Pro have them covered for software development. Likewise for wedding photographers and the other small businesses in your mind. This....is a workstation. If you cannot afford, you very likely do no require it.

Not for hobbyists and tinkerers, sorry.
    cornchiptmayllamajmey267gilly33roundaboutnowbigpicsdocno42Craig Pwelshdog
  • Reply 42 of 420
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    I like how they went all in. Super high-end performance for ditto prices - it's how it is. A big nod to their pro base: we haven't forgotten you.

Being that professional user, i have to say it is less nod & more mea culpa.
    jasenj1dedgecko
  • Reply 43 of 420
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    netrox said:
    Love how amatuers complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amatuers living on a few hundreds. 
    Not true.
    There are people who need workstations that are not rolling in money. People like scientists and engineers.
    The Pro market extends way beyond the media business.

This is another nice engineering exercise but leaves a gaping hole between the Mac mini and this. A version with something less than an 8 core Xeon CPU could be offered for substantially less.
    wozwozJoshvfxdysamoriadonjuaniqatedo
  • Reply 44 of 420
    wizard69 said:
    wozwoz said:
    Wow - this so Pro they might sell 100 of them. Cheese grater design is boring. After the criticism of the R2D2 Mac Pro for not being pro enough (when Apple didn't even offer upgrade options over 5 years!), they have gone to the other extreme and produced a machine that only a tiny proportion of Pro users will want, or be able to justify. Apple have lurched far too far to the other extreme. 
    Same goes for the monitor:  they should be providing a suite of monitors in different sizes for different users - not some ridiculously over-specced $6000 32 inch monitor with a an optional $1000 stand.
    I’m not getting good vibes either.    Two years from now they will cancel the Mac Pro for lack of demand.  

Frankly im hoping that they turn the trashcan into a lower cost desktop solution as the concept isn’t bad for many pro users.  Imagine the trash can with a single decent GPU card and the free location containing a carrier board for extra SSD storage.  That would be perfect for my desktop needs.  
    Of course the usuals still don't like. And now they want the trash can back! lol...can't make this stuff up.
    cornchipgilly33mwhiteroundaboutnowdocno42Craig PchiachasmJWSCfastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 420
    KidGlovesKidGloves Posts: 37member
    Looks amazing though I would like to see how the likely crippled $5999 version compares to similar PC workstations. I can't help thinking that the Apple Tax is back with a bang. The stuff looks like it's fantastically engineered (probably over the top for 90%). Anyone want to guess how much RAM the $5999 version will ship with?
    We're talking a base version that's DOUBLE the price of the current base. That's a big jump in anyone's book.
    Pylonsdavgregdysamoria
  • Reply 46 of 420
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    So it took them 7 years to develop a 1.4 kW PSU?
    oseamewozwozmocseg
  • Reply 47 of 420
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    Did I miss something about storage? i.e. is the stock 256GB SSD soldered in there and is the only internal storage expansion PCIe?
  • Reply 48 of 420
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bitmod said:
    If you’re a Fortune 100 company... it’s going to be great!
    Quality tools are expensive. Do you need a tool this powerful? If so, great, here it is, you can do your job and produce value with it. If not, it's not for you, and that's fine. The iMac Pro, iMac, and Mini are great options for desktops.
    Actually this is the problem, the iMacs and Mini are terrible for many professional use cases.   This new Mac Pro will have its users no doubt but frankly Apple screwed themselves here as I see sales absolutely sucking after the initial blitz to buy a Mac Pro.    This unit will have the same problem previous Mac Pros had which is sales so bad Apple will consider discontinuing it.   Frankly they could have done better.  
    wozwozdavgregdysamoria
  • Reply 49 of 420
    ElCapitan said:
    So it took them 7 years to develop a 1.4 kW PSU?
    Nope. They didn't begin work on this 7 years ago. They started a couple of years ago. If you're actually interested more than just enough to whine, here's the transcript you should have already read explaining what happened.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/transcript-phil-schiller-craig-federighi-and-john-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/
    edited June 2019 cornchiproundaboutnowdocno42Craig Pfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 420
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    ...starting at... a price that will physically drive the air from your body.  Good lord.
    davgregdysamoria
  • Reply 51 of 420
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    It's not for you then. Mac Pros are for professionals. iMac Pros are great for prosumers.   

Real professionals make a lot of money and they will pay premium to get things done. 
    llamajmey267StrangeDaysCraig Pchiachasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 420
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Thunderbolt ports and power button on the top of the case is a bit weird.
    dysamoriadonjuan
  • Reply 53 of 420
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    At first I was like... "OH NO."
    Then when they talked about it more and more, I'm a huge fan of this design.
    Mac Pros should ONLY BE TOWERS.
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 420
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    28 cores, not 28 processors. 
    edited June 2019 bigpics
  • Reply 55 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    The industrial design looks fantastic! Steve would be proud. But for ATI only and 1 gen processor design... it’s not going to make a lot of sense to the average pro at these price points. I think it forces a lot of people to stay in iMacs. Do I want one? Yes. Can I afford one? Yes. Will I buy one? No. Apple would have to offer a 5 year warranty to convince me to get into one.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 56 of 420
    The only thing missed is that it should be in space gray since it is a Pro computer.  That would look awesome.
    rezwitstmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 420
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    netrox said:
    Love how amateurs complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amateurs living on a few hundreds. iMac Pro is for prosumers. Mac Pro is for professionals. iMac is for consumers (but they can do all the things that pros do but at a much slower speed). 
    netrox said:
    Love how amateurs complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amateurs living on a few hundreds. iMac Pro is for prosumers. Mac Pro is for professionals. iMac is for consumers (but they can do all the things that pros do but at a much slower speed). 
    Sure the Mac Pro is for professionals.   The mistake you make here is assuming that there is enough professionals out there to justify manufacture of this machine.  Frankly this is worse than the old cheese grater and will suffer the same fate.   

In case you are wondering that is sales so bad that Apple can’t justify the engineering expense to maintain it.  Apple needed a machine that would sell multiple thousands per month not a few hundred per month.  
    wozwozJoshvfxbitmoddysamoria
  • Reply 58 of 420
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

Open on an iOS device to see in AR.  It's bigger than I thought from watching the presentation.
    roundaboutnowuniscapefastasleepiqatedo
  • Reply 59 of 420
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Power demands are ridiculous. Fan demands are ridiculous. And with 3 huge fans, this will be noisy too (I look forward to seeing those specs - don't trust the comment about putting it under your desk, and then it is quiet). Most of the speed improvements seem to be coming from increasing the number of cores to 28 ... which is fine if your problem breaks down nicely into parallel chunks ... but many problems don't, and for those we just need simple raw power increase ... not shown in the examples. I do like the dual 10G Ethernet - that will be everywhere soon enough.
    davgreg
  • Reply 60 of 420
    pigybankpigybank Posts: 178member
    To all the people complaining that it’s “too pro” and “too expensive”.  My 17” spec’d out PowerBook G4 cost over $5k in 2003.  This is WAY MORE than that in both value and performance, even by current standards.  Apple used to have a lot of computers this expensive, they just haven’t made one that commanded such a premium in a while.  Pros WILL buy these and that’s who they’re for.  If you don’t need this power, this isn’t for you and there are plenty of other macs in the lineup. 
    docno42Craig Pjasenj1chiarezwitschasmfastasleephammeroftruthwatto_cobra