Apple unveils iPadOS, adding features specifically to iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2019
Apple has supplemented iOS 13 with a new iPadOS, which adds more productivity features for iPad users including enhanced Split View and Slide Over plus far better file management.

Apple has announced that it will still use the core of iOS for the iPad, but customizations for the platform will be encompassed under the new "iPadOS" nomenclature.

Apple's Craig Federighi demonstrated the split with the difference between iOS and iPadOS beginning right on the home screen. First glance is a tighter grid of icons, with a widget pinning ability right on the home screen. Federighi also showed multitasking made easier on the iPad, as well as some other user interface convention changes specific to the iPad.

Split View will bring multi-window capability to apps, should a developer allow for it. "For example," says Apple in a statement, "customers can compose an email while viewing another email side by side or access multiple apps like Messages or Calendar with just a swipe."

Federighi demonstrated this used Notes and Pages, in conjunction with an Expose feature, which will also be available for third-party developers.

The newly enhanced Split View and Slide Over in iPadOS
The newly enhanced Split View and Slide Over in iPadOS

Files also now supports folder sharing with iCloud. Additionally, it has added native SMB support, and support for plugging in thumb drives with full file access in the Files app.

"Anyone with access to a shared folder will see it in iCloud Drive," says Apple, "and will always have the ability to access the latest version. iPadOS also supports external drives, allowing users to easily plug in USB drives, SD cards or log into an SMB file server, all from within the Files app."

Other features include full desktop-class browsing, eschewing mobile rendering on the iPad. "Safari is more power than ever on iPad," says Apple, "[as] iPadOS automatically presents the desktop version of the website, scaled appropriately for the iPad display, and optimizes it for touch."

A new download manager is part of a move to improve all file management
A new download manager is part of a move to improve all file management

A download manager has also been added, as have 30 new keyboard shortcuts, and per-site settings. All apps that feature any text-editing functions will also see the benefit of new gestures that speed up cut, copy and paste.

Apple is also adding custom font support through the App Store, better cursor navigation, and improved text selection.

The new iPadOS brings custom fonts to the iPad
The new iPadOS brings custom fonts to the iPad

Apple Pencil latency has been reduced to 9 milliseconds, versus 20 prior to iPadOS. A PencilKit developer API will be made available for third-party apps.

Aside from Apple Pencil changes, it isn't clear at present which features will be exclusive to iPadOS and so not available on iOS 13 on the iPhone.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 121member
    RIP, iPad. The simplicity and elegance is gone. Thumb drives? Those things were outdated during Obama’s first term. Steve Jobs’ dream is dead.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Dead_Pool said:
    RIP, iPad. The simplicity and elegance is gone. Thumb drives? Those things were outdated during Obama’s first term. Steve Jobs’ dream is dead.
    Get lost.....
    edredvukasikaStrangeDays1STnTENDERBITScat52davenpscooter63toysandmenot_antonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 38
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    Wonder how slower it will be on A8 2GB iPad Mini?  I will wait to find out!  You cannot go back to previous iOS version with Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 38
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Dead_Pool said:
    The iPad is growing up.  This was soooo badly needed.

Can’t wait to experience it!  

Is the new iOS making the iPad a true PC replacement?  It sounds like it for 99% of users...
    vukasika1STnTENDERBITSStrangeDaysdaventoysandmenot_antonmuthuk_vanalingamgilly33fruitstandninjatmay
  • Reply 5 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wonder how slower it will be on A8 2GB iPad Mini?  I will wait to find out!  You cannot go back to previous iOS version with Apple!
    You also don’t have to upgrade either. Stay with your iPad and the latest iOS that runs well on it.
    harry wildMisterKitAppleExposedjony0
  • Reply 6 of 38
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    mwhite said:
    Dead_Pool said:
    Get lost.....
    it's SUPPORT for them. People use SSD drives etc... You don't have to use it. Come on..
    StrangeDaystoysandmeAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Dead_Pool said:
    And it begins. People say iPad isn't powerful or advanced enough, then they say it's too complicated. Can't win. Thankfully, Apple is good at managing trade-offs.
    fastasleeplkrupptoysandmemuthuk_vanalingamtmaywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Dead_Pool said:
    This is asinine, while it is early I’m thinking they have addressed many long standing issues with iPad and hopefully have put iPadOS onto a freer development path in the future.   Frankly in looks like Apple is addressing the dreams of many iPad users. 

Oh oh by the way walk into any modern manufacturing sight or lab and try to tell people there that thumb drives are old hat.  People use those things daily, often it is the only way to get bulk data out of an instrument or tool.  

toysandmemuthuk_vanalingamgilly33GeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 9 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    That pinned widget sidebar looks a fair bit like the Windows Vista Desktop Gadgets   :D
  • Reply 10 of 38
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    Finally, they made iPad not an oversized version of the iPhone. I can finally do SOMETHING with it. CANNOT WAIT. 
    toysandmemuthuk_vanalingamentropystokyojimunetroxGeorgeBMacSpamSandwichMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 38
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    This will take some time to digest. I long ago came to grips with the idea that computers have features that are far beyond my needs or wants. But there is nothing desirable in an iPad that doesn't function intuitively, and there is a lot here that really isn't intuitive. Powerful, useful, and desirable to some, but what I fear now is that I can't give my family member an iPad and say "here. lets use this to communicate via iMessges" because then when they make an erroneous gesture, other things pop up, and I'm told "I hate this thing. I don't know why it does what it does." 

All that us really needed to avoid this is the ability to turn off these features. iPadOS needs a "moron mode." 
    macplusplusMisterKitradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 38
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    jgojcaj said:
    Finally, they made iPad not an oversized version of the iPhone. I can finally do SOMETHING with it. CANNOT WAIT. 
    I had high hopes that iPadOS would have mouse/pointer support.  Still nothing.  Bummed.

But, instead, I get to remember 50+ different multi-finger swipes, pinches, and swoops that I wouldn't need to if it supported a mouse.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 13 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So iPad OS does not have mouse support, something the whiners and perpetually disappointed crowd were clamoring for. Oh the humanity.
    gilly33tmaymacplusplusAppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 38
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    jgojcaj said:

You obviously haven't used an iPad. You might be thinking of Android.
    kiltedgreenAppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 38
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    lkrupp said:
    So iPad OS does not have mouse support, something the whiners and perpetually disappointed crowd were clamoring for. Oh the humanity.
    And here you are whining about the whiners.  Interesting...
    MplsPGeorgeBMacAppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 38
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Dead_Pool said:

How exactly? New features aren't forced on you. You can choose to use them or not. Don't want a thumb drive connected, don't connect it. Seriously. Some people just love hearing themselves complain.
    muthuk_vanalingamgilly33kiltedgreenradarthekatAppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 38
    My guess is they did not highlight mouse support, but it will likely be there under the Accessibility menu in Settings. One will have to select it, it will not be there by default.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    maciekskontaktmaciekskontakt Posts: 1,169member
    Dead_Pool said:
    You are very immature. Thumb drives are very alive and cloud solutions not reliable 100% of time. Did you ever thought of being out of grid and not having cloud around yet still use your data on external drive? Please do mature with your comments. Some of us lived a bit more scenarios than sitting home with Internet and WiFi or in all-inclusive resort with WiFi. I have not been able to use some Apple apps that require iCloud just because of remote location and I neede data that I own. External drive would come handy, but option was not available.
    muthuk_vanalingamgilly33
  • Reply 19 of 38
    zorch98zorch98 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Any idea which iPad versions will be able to run OS13?
    harry wild
  • Reply 20 of 38
    createriocreaterio Posts: 26member
    Dead_Pool said:
    Superficial, trigger happy comment. It will support external drives in general, which is huge. Quote Apple website: "Connect an external hard drive, SD card reader, and, yes, even a USB drive."
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra