Apple debuts new $5999 Mac Pro with up to 28-core Xeon processors

1246721

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 420
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Has anyone else noticed that on the Apple site... the new Mac Pro comes up at $4999 ? https://ibb.co/GQcKdGB
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 62 of 420
    FilmerFilmer Posts: 1member
    not up to 28 Xeon processors, but a Xeon processor with up to 28 CORES :facepalm: :eyeroll:
    not_antondysamoria
  • Reply 63 of 420
    not_antonnot_anton Posts: 36member
    That awkward moment when iMac Pro seems not too expensive, and an overall great value... With 4x storage, 2x graphics and a build-in 5K display out of the box - at $1000 cheaper.
    edited June 2019 dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 420
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS? Exactly how many pros could afford such a thing? This is not the 1980s with the Mac FX. 90% of professional Mac owners can only spend $3K or $4K.

    Apple continues to grow even more out of touch with reality. Believe it or not, graphic designers are paid dirt, even those in more senior positions. And Apple expects these guys to spend 1/8 of their annual takehome pay on a computer? Perhaps Apple should drop the 400% profit margin and return to the notion of giving a damn about their users. Greedy SOBs.

    I have been waiting for something to replace my totally maxed-out MacPro tower - something with expandability, etc., but this ain't it.
    wozwozPylonsJoshvfxKidGlovesdavgregsvencitolarz2112dysamoriadonjuan
  • Reply 65 of 420
    svencitosvencito Posts: 11member
    Who can even afford this beast? Was so hoping to replace my 2003 Mac Pro but need to go with a zero-upgradable iMac now. Seriously Tim, what were you thinking??
    wozwozKidGlovesdavgregdysamoriadonjuan
  • Reply 66 of 420
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    looks insannnneeeee. about time they smashed it out the park  <3  <3
    Craig Pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    If you’re a Fortune 100 company... it’s going to be great!
    Quality tools are expensive. Do you need a tool this powerful? If so, great, here it is, you can do your job and produce value with it. If not, it's not for you, and that's fine. The iMac Pro, iMac, and Mini are great options for desktops.
    Uhhhh... yah. They designed a Mac Pro for Pixar and maybe 5 other massive design houses. What about the other 98% of content creators? 
    Where is the Mac for the small business that makes up 98% of the market? The freelancers who need a solid machine that they can upgrade over 7 years. iMac isn’t it. 

    This is looks like a fantastic machine - but it misses the mark for what the average pro user has been asking for.
    Oops, you just confused your opinion for fact. If you disagree, please link to a definitive source that backs up your claim. 

    There are plenty of Mac options for small businesses. Such businesses likely do not need a MacPro. Per Craig, the majority of their pro users are...developers. The new iMac and iMac Pro have them covered for software development. Likewise for wedding photographers and the other small businesses in your mind. This....is a workstation. If you cannot afford, you very likely do no require it.

    Not for hobbyists and tinkerers, sorry.
    Such businesses do not need THIS Mac Pro. That doesn’t mean they don’t need a Mac Pro and that there is still a gap in the lineup not addressing a rather large market. 
    And im guessing you aren’t a business owner... there is a big difference between affordability and practicality. 
    Its a beautiful rig thou...
    Joshvfxdavgregdysamoria
  • Reply 68 of 420
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,823member
    davgreg said:
    netrox said:
    Love how amatuers complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amatuers living on a few hundreds. 
    Not true.
    There are people who need workstations that are not rolling in money. People like scientists and engineers.
    The Pro market extends way beyond the media business.

    This is another nice engineering exercise but leaves a gaping hole between the Mac mini and this. A version with something less than an 8 core Xeon CPU could be offered for substantially less.
    Wrong.  It is true.  This workstation will be used by companies as tools.  They are a tax write-off and depreciation. 
    Scientists and engineers work for companies... again... tools = tax write-off and depreciation.

    You are implying that this machine is meant for you when it is clearly not.  

    There are perfectly acceptable solutions RIGHT NOW to accommodate less folks.  iMacs and iMac Pros, Mac Minis... they suit the other 98% just fine.  You're also implying that Apple will not evolve those current non-Pro desktop lines.  For all you know, the next iMac may have a 8-12-core CPU, or more...

    Just stop.

    docno42jasenj1Craig PchiatmaymacplusplusJWSCfastasleepdedgeckocityguide
  • Reply 69 of 420
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member

    kkqd1337 said:
    Fantastic job. It’s good to see Apple gracious enough to admit they were wrong and go back to the solid, dependable, professional tower design.

    Admit they were wrong? Apparently they admit no wrong in lining their overstuffed pockets by charging an astronomical price.
  • Reply 70 of 420
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    wozwoz said:
    Wow - this so Pro they might sell 100 of them. Cheese grater design is boring. After the criticism of the R2D2 Mac Pro for not being pro enough (when Apple didn't even offer upgrade options over 5 years!), they have gone to the other extreme and produced a machine that only a tiny proportion of Pro users will want, or be able to justify. Apple have lurched far too far to the other extreme. 
    Same goes for the monitor:  they should be providing a suite of monitors in different sizes for different users - not some ridiculously over-specced $6000 32 inch monitor with a an optional $1000 stand.
    Shudder, woulda, coulda. Apple will sell a lot of these, and I’ll be one of those buyers. I know a lot of people who will think this is cheap for the work they do.

    yes, it’s too bad that the days of the cheaper Mac Pro is over, seemingly. But Apple has sold a ton of iMac Pros. That’s a middle ground. This is a machine that will be used for high end work. If someone isn’t doing that, then this isn’t the machine for them. But, it’s not a lot of money. If you’re a pro photographer, you can own $10,000 to $30,000 worth of cameras, lenses, tripods, lighting equipment, etc. if you’ve got a fair size studio, that can easily go higher. So this is just another piece of equipment that your accountant will write down for you.
    bigpicsdocno42muthuk_vanalingamjasenj1Craig PchiatmayJWSCcityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 420
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,055member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    If you’re a Fortune 100 company... it’s going to be great!
    Quality tools are expensive. Do you need a tool this powerful? If so, great, here it is, you can do your job and produce value with it. If not, it's not for you, and that's fine. The iMac Pro, iMac, and Mini are great options for desktops.
    Uhhhh... yah. They designed a Mac Pro for Pixar and maybe 5 other massive design houses. What about the other 98% of content creators? 
    Where is the Mac for the small business that makes up 98% of the market? The freelancers who need a solid machine that they can upgrade over 7 years. iMac isn’t it. 

    This is looks like a fantastic machine - but it misses the mark for what the average pro user has been asking for.
    I freelance quite successfully on a maxed out 2017 iMac 5K. Though I would love to make an upgrade in a year or two to something like this. IMO most Macs fit the bill for small businesses: iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini—all quite capable small business tools. Obviously different types of business will gravitate to different machines. The regular MacBook is rather anemic, I'll grant you that. This MacPro is obviously a bit upscale for many small businesses, but there are freelancers out there in certain niches for whom this machine will be IDEAL. Even though I don't NEED this MacPro for my business, I could certainly use its capabilities. The money wouldn't be wasted.
    muthuk_vanalingamchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 420
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sflocal said:
    davgreg said:
    netrox said:
    Love how amatuers complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amatuers living on a few hundreds. 
    Not true.
    There are people who need workstations that are not rolling in money. People like scientists and engineers.
    The Pro market extends way beyond the media business.

    This is another nice engineering exercise but leaves a gaping hole between the Mac mini and this. A version with something less than an 8 core Xeon CPU could be offered for substantially less.
    Wrong.  It is true.  This workstation will be used by companies as tools.  They are a tax write-off and depreciation. 
    Scientists and engineers work for companies... again... tools = tax write-off and depreciation.

    You are implying that this machine is meant for you when it is clearly not.  

    There are perfectly acceptable solutions RIGHT NOW to accommodate less folks.  iMacs and iMac Pros, Mac Minis... they suit the other 98% just fine.  You're also implying that Apple will not evolve those current non-Pro desktop lines.  For all you know, the next iMac may have a 8-12-core CPU, or more...

    Just stop.

    Stop?   I think you need to stop with this unwarranted support of Apple.   By the way every profession you describe has to justify their purchases.  It would be extremely difficult for an engineer, media professional or anybody else for that matter to justify this hardware at a Fortune 500 much less smaller firms.  $5000 dollars for an 8 core processor just isn’t justifiable when there are other sources for workstation hardware.  
    PylonsJoshvfxdysamoriachemengin1
  • Reply 73 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    lkrupp said:
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    What this should tell you is that you and those like you are irrelevant to Apple. You are not the “pro" they are looking to satisfy. They didn’t miss any mark at all. They nailed it. If you want slots and and a plastic case for $1500 just march over to Frys or Micro Center, pull some parts off the shelves and cobble them together. Apple is after the real pros.
    Lol... you’re funny. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 74 of 420
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,122member
    mtbnut said:
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    The One Percenters say Apple completely HIT the mark on this.  :D
    Those who can’t afford it aren’t doing the kind of work, in sufficient quantity, to afford it. What’s new there? You want this to browse Facebook?
    docno42chiaJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 420
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 5,959member
    It looks like a great setup from reading the description here.

    It is very expensive but if there is a market for it, fine.

    The low end tower is still missing in action because Apple doesn't want to make one and that is where they could tip their hat to the average pro. 

    Either way, for those who can afford one and turn the purchase into a profitable option, it will be a winner (if Apple can ship enough of them, of course)
    bigpics
  • Reply 76 of 420
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So isn’t the iMac Pro for pros who don’t need the Mac Pro? Or are people complaining because they don’t want to buy an all in one machine?
    JWSCmacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 420
    JoshvfxJoshvfx Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    At $5,999 starting point, Apple once again proves they dont understand the current freelance professional market.

    I could understand having a $6k model as a high end workstation, but for most of the professionals that freelance from home, this is completely out of the budget.

    And yes, these are the professionals (like us photographers) who have been asking for a pro machine for years because we cant just upgrade a whole iMac pro every few years as it gets outdated.

    When I started freelancing in the 90's there was a professional mac with card slots and upgradeable memory that every professional could get, at a price that was a little stiff, but not outrageous like this.

    Professionals have been yelling that we need removable card slots and upgradeable components like memory, and That should be achievable starting at $3k.

    This is a corporate workstation, not the professional mac the working professionals could afford.

    Us working professionals are who made the mac the machine for graphics. This machine will just convince us the time is truly right to look at PCs if you want a tower
    wozwozElCapitanlarz2112dysamoria
  • Reply 78 of 420
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,784member
    bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    If you’re a Fortune 100 company... it’s going to be great!
    Quality tools are expensive. Do you need a tool this powerful? If so, great, here it is, you can do your job and produce value with it. If not, it's not for you, and that's fine. The iMac Pro, iMac, and Mini are great options for desktops.
    Uhhhh... yah. They designed a Mac Pro for Pixar and maybe 5 other massive design houses. What about the other 98% of content creators? 
    Where is the Mac for the small business that makes up 98% of the market? The freelancers who need a solid machine that they can upgrade over 7 years. iMac isn’t it. 

    This is looks like a fantastic machine - but it misses the mark for what the average pro user has been asking for.
    I know a ton of people who will buy this. Many are one man band freelance editors and designers. This is in no way overpriced and has the features they want. Smaller post houses will definitely buy these not just the big dogs. I bet Black Magic's DaVinci Resolve will run great on this machine and will make great use of all those slots. In 2012 the 3.06 GHz 12 core mac Pro was $6474 bucks with a Radeon HD 5770 and 8GB ram and they sold the hell out of these things. The machine we saw today is less money, but offers a staggering improvement in processing power. Photoshop, After Effects, Resolve, Nuke, Maya, Octane, the various camera workflows - all will make great use of this Mac.  It is exactly what is needed and not overpriced.

    bigpicsroundaboutnowjasenj1Craig PchiatmayJWSCfastasleepcityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 420
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    wizard69 said:
    sflocal said:
    davgreg said:
    netrox said:
    Love how amatuers complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amatuers living on a few hundreds. 
    Not true.
    There are people who need workstations that are not rolling in money. People like scientists and engineers.
    The Pro market extends way beyond the media business.

    This is another nice engineering exercise but leaves a gaping hole between the Mac mini and this. A version with something less than an 8 core Xeon CPU could be offered for substantially less.
    Wrong.  It is true.  This workstation will be used by companies as tools.  They are a tax write-off and depreciation. 
    Scientists and engineers work for companies... again... tools = tax write-off and depreciation.

    You are implying that this machine is meant for you when it is clearly not.  

    There are perfectly acceptable solutions RIGHT NOW to accommodate less folks.  iMacs and iMac Pros, Mac Minis... they suit the other 98% just fine.  You're also implying that Apple will not evolve those current non-Pro desktop lines.  For all you know, the next iMac may have a 8-12-core CPU, or more...

    Just stop.

    Stop?   I think you need to stop with this unwarranted support of Apple.   By the way every profession you describe has to justify their purchases.  It would be extremely difficult for an engineer, media professional or anybody else for that matter to justify this hardware at a Fortune 500 much less smaller firms.  $5000 dollars for an 8 core processor just isn’t justifiable when there are other sources for workstation hardware.  
    Isn’t the new Mac mini and iMac Pro there to fill the market you’re talking about?
    Craig PchiaJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    netrox said:
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    It's not for you then. Mac Pros are for professionals. iMac Pros are great for prosumers.   

    Real professionals make a lot of money and they will pay premium to get things done. 
    Eloquently stated by an ignorant with zero clue what a Pro is. 
    Joshvfxwozwozdysamoria
Sign In or Register to comment.