Apple debuts new $5999 Mac Pro with up to 28-core Xeon processors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 420
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    oseame said:
    Did I miss something about storage? i.e. is the stock 256GB SSD soldered in there and is the only internal storage expansion PCIe?
    Yes, you missed something. It can have up to 4TB internal SSD.
    cornchipchasmJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 420
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    wozwoz said:
    Wow - this so Pro they might sell 100 of them. Cheese grater design is boring. After the criticism of the R2D2 Mac Pro for not being pro enough (when Apple didn't even offer upgrade options over 5 years!), they have gone to the other extreme and produced a machine that only a tiny proportion of Pro users will want, or be able to justify. Apple have lurched far too far to the other extreme. 
    Same goes for the monitor:  they should be providing a suite of monitors in different sizes for different users - not some ridiculously over-specced $6000 32 inch monitor with a an optional $1000 stand.

Ya know, this isn't the only computer Apple makes and sells. They do have other models, both cheaper and less powerful. Most of the "pros" you speak of are fine with Apple's 27" iMac - not even the iMac Pro, which is also a beast.
    cornchipdocno42roundaboutnowStrangeDayschiahammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 420
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

bitmod said:
    bitmod said:
    If you’re a Fortune 100 company... it’s going to be great!
    Quality tools are expensive. Do you need a tool this powerful? If so, great, here it is, you can do your job and produce value with it. If not, it's not for you, and that's fine. The iMac Pro, iMac, and Mini are great options for desktops.
    Uhhhh... yah. They designed a Mac Pro for Pixar and maybe 5 other massive design houses. What about the other 98% of content creators? 
    Where is the Mac for the small business that makes up 98% of the market? The freelancers who need a solid machine that they can upgrade over 7 years. iMac isn’t it. 

This is looks like a fantastic machine - but it misses the mark for what the average pro user has been asking for.
    Most content creators do very well with a 27” iMac. Or a Macbook Pro. Or an iMac Pro. If you don’t need this amount of power, or expandability, then you shouldn’t be complaining about the price. Professional tools cost professional prices. Remember that top still camera bodies cost $5,500 and up for the body, extending to over $40,000. Then you need lenses, which can cost around $1,000 to $15,000 each.

Pro video equipment costs in the same range. I know more than a few who have $50,000 worth of equipment, and some with over double that.

so who is a pro? Anyone who makes the majority of their income doing whatever it is in their field that they do. If you’re an event photographer, you definitely don’t need this. But if you’re shooting high end fashion, you probably do, if you’re successful at it.
    docno42roundaboutnowStrangeDaysCraig PchiawelshdogtmayJWSCfastasleepcityguide
  • Reply 84 of 420
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    wizard69 said:
    netrox said:
    Love how amateurs complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amateurs living on a few hundreds. iMac Pro is for prosumers. Mac Pro is for professionals. iMac is for consumers (but they can do all the things that pros do but at a much slower speed). 
    netrox said:
    Love how amateurs complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amateurs living on a few hundreds. iMac Pro is for prosumers. Mac Pro is for professionals. iMac is for consumers (but they can do all the things that pros do but at a much slower speed). 
    Sure the Mac Pro is for professionals.   The mistake you make here is assuming that there is enough professionals out there to justify manufacture of this machine.  Frankly this is worse than the old cheese grater and will suffer the same fate.   

In case you are wondering that is sales so bad that Apple can’t justify the engineering expense to maintain it.  Apple needed a machine that would sell multiple thousands per month not a few hundred per month.  
    The only fate the cheese grater suffered was being replaced by a new machine that didn't catch on. In its day, there was one cheese grater on every desk of every business I worked at/with. Going all the way back to the PowerMac G5 which shared the same case design, more-or-less.

By 2010 iMacs were capable enough that many creatives began using them instead.

To stay relevant, a Pro desktop really should be designed to completely destroy the all-in-one designs.

That's my opinion, anyway.
    docno42avon b7welshdogstompycityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 420
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    iMac Pro? Or a high-end iMac? They seem to have the spectrum of needs covered now. There is a contingent that needs as much power as possible; this is for them.
    edited June 2019 StrangeDayscornchipCraig Pchiafastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 420
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...

Yes. You know Apple's pro customers better than Apple does. Why on Earth didn't they call you for advise?

"The rest of us"

Do you need a "Mac Pro" or do you need a Mac to get your work done? Sounds like all you care about is having a "Mac Pro", because I'm pretty sure Apple sells other Macs that aren't as powerful or expensive. 
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 420
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    There was a gasp heard rolling across the audience when the monitor's STAND near $1,000 price tag was announced.
    bigpicsroundaboutnowcornchipjasenj1rogifan_newmacseekerdysamoriadonjuancityguide
  • Reply 88 of 420
    davgreg said:
    netrox said:
    Love how amatuers complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amatuers living on a few hundreds. 
    Not true.
    There are people who need workstations that are not rolling in money. People like scientists and engineers.
    The Pro market extends way beyond the media business.

This is another nice engineering exercise but leaves a gaping hole between the Mac mini and this. A version with something less than an 8 core Xeon CPU could be offered for substantially less.
    If a scientist or engineer needs this amount of power, then they are doing work where this can be bought. Scientists spend tens of thousands to millions on equipment. Either a grant pays for that, or the company or university does. An engineer rarely works alone, so they’re in a similar situation. Do you have any idea how much a modern scope can cost? Tens of thousands. Power supplies, voltmeters, etc.? If that engineer is doing the kind of work that requires this type of computer, then (s)he’s already using perhaps over $100,000 of test and measurement equipment. The work involves RF, then we’re talking possibly four times as much.

this computer is just another piece of equipment,
    docno42roundaboutnowStrangeDaysjasenj1chiawelshdogtmayJWSCfastasleepcityguide
  • Reply 89 of 420
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    Looks impressive, however there are a few drawbacks.

1. Single CPU only. Most professional workstations offer a dual CPU option.
    2. AMD graphics only. Curious as to whether nor not nVidia GPU's will even work in this machine.
    3. Limited storage bays. Two (2) SSD's seems quite limited compared to most professional workstations.
    4. Price. $6K seems a bit over-priced for an 8-core workstation with minimal RAM, SSD, and Graphics.

Overall, this is a niche product and likely not a huge money maker for Apple. That said, I am glad they are re-engaging with professional video and audio producers who've been waiting years for Apple to (re)introduce a truly modular professional workstation...
    fastasleepdysamoriadonjuanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 420
    I just have a feeling someone is going to complain stating that it's not enough....it's just a gut feeling.
    Craig Ptenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 420
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    So isn’t the iMac Pro for pros who don’t need the Mac Pro? Or are people complaining because they don’t want to buy an all in one machine?
    While it would be nice to get the equivalent of the IIcx/IIci (or xMac as some call it) I’ve given up hoping for it.  I’d rather have too big than too small. 

I wont get one this year, but I’m saving my pennies to replace my 2007 Mac Pro maybe next year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    So isn’t the iMac Pro for pros who don’t need the Mac Pro? Or are people complaining because they don’t want to buy an all in one machine?
    Bingo! The iMac pro is literally the worst deal in computing on the market today. It was a stop gap machine that will be discontinued shortly.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 93 of 420
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    svencito said:
    ..Was so hoping to replace my 2003 Mac Pro...
    Did you mean 2013 Mac Pro?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 420
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    wizard69 said:
    netrox said:
    netrox said:
    Sure the Mac Pro is for professionals.   The mistake you make here is assuming that there is enough professionals out there to justify manufacture of this machine.  Frankly this is worse than the old cheese grater and will suffer the same fate.   

In case you are wondering that is sales so bad that Apple can’t justify the engineering expense to maintain it.  Apple needed a machine that would sell multiple thousands per month not a few hundred per month.  
    He's not making that mistake -- Apple has already decided they have enough demand to make this machine. Why are you worried for them? You're not getting paid to be worried for them.

It's hilarious tho -- first the MP haters complain it's not powerful enough to serve enough customers, now they complain it's too powerful to service enough customers. Literally LOL.... I do see the central them tho -- not liking things. "Nope, nopers, nada, don't like".
    Craig Pcornchipdocno42chiatmaymacplusplusJWSCfastasleepcityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 420

wizard69 said:
    netrox said:
    netrox said:

The only fate the cheese grater suffered was that Apple thought they had a better idea. Unfortunately, they didn’t. For myself, I never bought the trash can model, though I considered it for the second year, because it was so radical. But about three months after this one is available, I’m buying it.

you really have no idea how well this will sell. None at all.
    roundaboutnowdocno42welshdogchasmJWSCelectrosoftfastasleepcityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 420
    mjtomlin said:
    wozwoz said:
    Wow - this so Pro they might sell 100 of them. Cheese grater design is boring. After the criticism of the R2D2 Mac Pro for not being pro enough (when Apple didn't even offer upgrade options over 5 years!), they have gone to the other extreme and produced a machine that only a tiny proportion of Pro users will want, or be able to justify. Apple have lurched far too far to the other extreme. 
    Same goes for the monitor:  they should be providing a suite of monitors in different sizes for different users - not some ridiculously over-specced $6000 32 inch monitor with a an optional $1000 stand.

Ya know, this isn't the only computer Apple makes and sells. They do have other models, both cheaper and less powerful. Most of the "pros" you speak of are fine with Apple's 27" iMac - not even the iMac Pro, which is also a beast.
    Yar. Per Craig most pros are devs, and most devs were using iMac...thus they created the iMac Pro.
    Craig Pfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 420
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    My Trash Can Mac Pro has been running 24/7 since new in 2013 without a hitch.  Yes it can feel a little slow sometimes and I've almost maxed the 1 TB SSD but I can upgrade the SSD with a 2 TB model for under $800 from OWC.    While the new one would be great to have especially with the new monitor I'll need a windfall of some sorts to afford it.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 420
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mjtomlin said:

bitmod said:

Yes. You know Apple's pro customers better than Apple does. Why on Earth didn't they call you for advise?

"The rest of us"

Do you need a "Mac Pro" or do you need a Mac to get your work done? Sounds like all you care about is having a "Mac Pro", because I'm pretty sure Apple sells other Macs that aren't as powerful or expensive. 
    This is just the whining of the headless Mac crowd who’ve been clamoring for a cheap tower with slots for years now. They can’t get out of the 1990’s in their wants. They can put together a cheap Hackintosh with all the slots they want but, no, they keep coming to tech blog comment sections to bitch and moan about it. Well, it’s now clear that Apple isn’t going to listen to their carping. They are not going to get their cheap, upgradeable headless Mac... EVER. That crowd is irrelevant now, having no influence on anything. But still they moan and groan. Ignore them.
    chiachasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 420

bitmod said:
    Bingo! The iMac pro is literally the worst deal in computing on the market today. It was a stop gap machine that will be discontinued shortly.
    Nonsense. It's completely perfect for my use case as en enterprise software developer. Hell, I'm still using a fully loaded 2011 (SSD, lots of RAM, etc). They have legs.

Stop whining.
    roundaboutnowdocno42chasmmacplusplusfearlesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 100 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    This Mac Pro is a Formula 1 car. Designed for 1 purpose. What the usual cultists here don’t understand is that most of the market want a vehicle that can go on the Hwy, run on regular fuel, and have winter tires put on. Doesn’t mean we aren’t professionals just because we aren’t Formula 1 drivers.
    jasenj1wozwozdysamoria