Apple debuts new $5999 Mac Pro with up to 28-core Xeon processors

Comments

• Reply 101 of 420
    The people whining about how the price is too high are ridiculous. Apple's breaking new ground here, and unlike 2013, I think they're breaking the right ground. Time will tell.

But it is also true that they're leaving a significant market untapped. I don't need the $6k Mac, and really I don't *need* a $2-3k modular Mac either. But I'd much rather buy one than an iMac 5k, because I'd like to be able to upgrade over time, and not necessarily ditch my screen the same time I ditch my chassis. I'm still happily using 27" monitors from 11 years ago, though the new 5ks have their place too.

So I'd like to see much more modest slotted machine in the $2-3k entry price range. And I think it's true that there would be a significant market for that model. All those low-rent wedding photographers, part-time devs, etc. Essentially, many of the complainers - they're wrong to complain about this Mac Pro, but they really are a market and their needs really aren't being met.

So why isn't Apple serving them? Maybe they want to protect the market share for the new Pro. Or maybe they think the iMac and Mini really do cover the market sufficiently.

If it's a market share issue, there is a solution: Apple's building custom hardware like the 8k ProRes card, and they could choose to only support it on the high-end Pro. So perhaps next year we'll see the cheaper slotted Pro. In the meantime, things are *so* much better than they were just a year ago:
    - Reasonable Mac Mini
    - *Two* major upgrades to the MBP 15
    - Better iMac

The iMac Pro could use an update though! Probably soon. I'd guess, by fall.
    cornchipCraig Proundaboutnowdocno42chasmfastasleepchickwatto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 420
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    There’s the iMac Pro or a MacBook Pro connected to an LG UltraFine display.
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowJWSCcityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 420
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    bitmod said:
    This Mac Pro is a Formula 1 car. Designed for 1 purpose. What the usual cultists here don’t understand is that most of the market want a vehicle that can go on the Hwy, run on regular fuel, and have winter tires put on. Doesn’t mean we aren’t professionals just because we aren’t Formula 1 drivers.
    We aren't cultists -- we're rationalists. You aren't rational. We understand that Apple offers a full range of Macs, which completely cover "most of the market". What you are doing is what we often see -- somebody wanting the top-tier offering, at entry-level pricing. It's absurd nonsense. If you don't need a MP workstation, get on of the other many fine machines Apple makes.

Or, even better, go get a Dell. You'll be so happy with a Dell. It will be the perfect machine for you. What are you waiting for? Don't you wish to be happy?
    roundaboutnowcornchipchiaJustSomeGuy1chasmtmaymacpluspluslkruppmacxpressfastasleep
  • Reply 104 of 420
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    wozwoz said:
    Wow - this so Pro they might sell 100 of them. Cheese grater design is boring. After the criticism of the R2D2 Mac Pro for not being pro enough (when Apple didn't even offer upgrade options over 5 years!), they have gone to the other extreme and produced a machine that only a tiny proportion of Pro users will want, or be able to justify. Apple have lurched far too far to the other extreme. 
    Same goes for the monitor:  they should be providing a suite of monitors in different sizes for different users - not some ridiculously over-specced $6000 32 inch monitor with a an optional $1000 stand.
    Wow there are more than 100 comments to read and yours is the first whining, congratulations for complaining non existence problem. As Yoda said, ‘your head, all is in.’
    roundaboutnowStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 420
    You know who’s not on here complaining? Real pros. They’re busy working. Getting paid. 

docno42welshdogchasmtmayJWSCmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    bitmod said:
    This Mac Pro is a Formula 1 car. Designed for 1 purpose. What the usual cultists here don’t understand is that most of the market want a vehicle that can go on the Hwy, run on regular fuel, and have winter tires put on. Doesn’t mean we aren’t professionals just because we aren’t Formula 1 drivers.
    We aren't cultists -- we're rationalists. You aren't rational. We understand that Apple offers a full range of Macs, which completely cover "most of the market". What you are doing is what we often see -- somebody wanting the top-tier offering, at entry-level pricing. It's absurd nonsense. If you don't need a MP workstation, get on of the other many fine machines Apple makes.

Or, even better, go get a Dell. You'll be so happy with a Dell. It will be the perfect machine for you. What are you waiting for? Don't you wish to be happy?
    Cultist. 
    dysamoriachemengin1
  • Reply 107 of 420
    I just have a feeling someone is going to complain stating that it's not enough....it's just a gut feeling.
    Yes, in the comment directly above yours: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3163620/#Comment_3163620
    cornchipchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 108 of 420
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    tyancy said:
    SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS? Exactly how many pros could afford such a thing? This is not the 1980s with the Mac FX. 90% of professional Mac owners can only spend $3K or $4K...

Cite your sources?

Have you priced out a Z8 workstation?

roundaboutnowdocno42cornchipfastasleepcityguidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 420
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    mr. h said:
    Damn! That display too!

This is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $999 for the stand
  • Reply 110 of 420
    dougd said:
    It took that long to bring back the cheese grater ?
    Read up on the articles from two years ago about how and when they decided to start over. TechCrunch has the transcript of the press event:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/06/transcript-phil-schiller-craig-federighi-and-john-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/

This machine is awesome, and unlike what we've seen before. No whining.
    I agree on the last point. This new Mac Pro & Display are incredible.  $999 just for the display stand is kind of insane even taking into account the target market for this.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 111 of 420
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    The enthusiasts complaining about this machine are justified. The people pointing out that this machine is for an extremely niche and specific market are also correct.

IMO Apple messed up here, and they're going to get a lot of crap for it. This is a form factor that could, and should, have scaled to make multiple market segments happy. Instead Apple went as far to the extreme end as they could, to the exclusion of the middle road, and completely priced out individuals.The enthusiasts just wanted an expandable i7 with like 16-64GB of RAM and a good GPU they could upgrade. That should have been possible with this design.

Feels like a swing and a miss to me. Apple is either completely out of touch with the enthusiast market, or it might be time for the enthusiast market to give up on Apple. I think they probably sold a fair amount of PCs today.

Also, I know it's personal preference but man is that thing ugly. Can Ive stop trying to make every Apple product look like a Braun appliance from the 60s and 70s?
    OutdoorAppDeveloperbitmodctt_zhjasenj180s_Apple_Guyavon b7dysamoriachemengin1
  • Reply 112 of 420
    wizard69 said:
    wozwoz said:
    Wow - this so Pro they might sell 100 of them. Cheese grater design is boring. After the criticism of the R2D2 Mac Pro for not being pro enough (when Apple didn't even offer upgrade options over 5 years!), they have gone to the other extreme and produced a machine that only a tiny proportion of Pro users will want, or be able to justify. Apple have lurched far too far to the other extreme. 
    Same goes for the monitor:  they should be providing a suite of monitors in different sizes for different users - not some ridiculously over-specced $6000 32 inch monitor with a an optional $1000 stand.
    I’m not getting good vibes either.    Two years from now they will cancel the Mac Pro for lack of demand.  

Frankly im hoping that they turn the trashcan into a lower cost desktop solution as the concept isn’t bad for many pro users.  Imagine the trash can with a single decent GPU card and the free location containing a carrier board for extra SSD storage.  That would be perfect for my desktop needs.  
    That actually wouldn't be a bad idea
    fearlessdysamoria
  • Reply 113 of 420
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    bitmod said:
    So isn’t the iMac Pro for pros who don’t need the Mac Pro? Or are people complaining because they don’t want to buy an all in one machine?
    Bingo! The iMac pro is literally the worst deal in computing on the market today. It was a stop gap machine that will be discontinued shortly.
    You people are freaking hilarious. This thing spanks the trashcan Mac Pro for utility and that godforsaken design lasted over five years.  Stick to your Mac Mini and leave the real computing to the adults. 
    roundaboutnowfearlesschasmpaisleydiscoStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 420
    wizard69 said:
    wozwoz said:
    I’m not getting good vibes either.    Two years from now they will cancel the Mac Pro for lack of demand.  

Frankly im hoping that they turn the trashcan into a lower cost desktop solution as the concept isn’t bad for many pro users.  Imagine the trash can with a single decent GPU card and the free location containing a carrier board for extra SSD storage.  That would be perfect for my desktop needs.  
    Of course the usuals still don't like. And now they want the trash can back! lol...can't make this stuff up.
    repurposing the trashcan Mac as a desktop that sits between a Mac mini & the new Mac Pro isn't such a bad idea.
    roundaboutnowdysamoria
  • Reply 115 of 420
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Perfect! For Resolve, and our offline suites. Throwing $50K at this one. Where do I order? There's huge pent up demand for this. We run 2011/2012 4,1 and 5,1 machines because the trash-can was just not flexible enough. Total re-equip roadmap for us.
    edited June 2019 docno42welshdogchasmmacpluspluspaisleydiscofastasleepwatto_cobracityguide
  • Reply 116 of 420
    ElCapitan said:
    So it took them 7 years to develop a 1.4 kW PSU?
    This project didn't begin 7 years ago. It began 2.5 years ago
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 117 of 420
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    karmadave said:
    Looks impressive, however there are a few drawbacks.

1. Single CPU only. Most professional workstations offer a dual CPU option.
    2. AMD graphics only. Curious as to whether nor not nVidia GPU's will even work in this machine.
    3. Limited storage bays. Two (2) SSD's seems quite limited compared to most professional workstations.
    4. Price. $6K seems a bit over-priced for an 8-core workstation with minimal RAM, SSD, and Graphics.

Overall, this is a niche product and likely not a huge money maker for Apple. That said, I am glad they are re-engaging with professional video and audio producers who've been waiting years for Apple to (re)introduce a truly modular professional workstation...
    HP charges US$5400 for a 3.5 ghz 8-core Xeon upgrade on the Z workstations.

edited June 2019 roundaboutnowjasenj1welshdogchasmmacplusplusstompywatto_cobracityguide
  • Reply 118 of 420
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    wozwoz said:
    They will sell a lot of these.  Particularly with pent up demand.
    roundaboutnowwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 119 of 420
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jSnively said:
    The enthusiasts complaining about this machine are justified. The people pointing out that this machine is for an extremely niche and specific market are also correct.

IMO Apple messed up here, and they're going to get a lot of crap for it. This is a form factor that could, and should, have scaled to make multiple market segments happy. Instead Apple went as far to the extreme end as they could, to the exclusion of the middle road, and completely priced out individuals.The enthusiasts just wanted an expandable i7 with like 16-64GB of RAM and a good GPU they could upgrade. That should have been possible with this design.

Feels like a swing and a miss to me. Apple is either completely out of touch with the enthusiast market, or it might be time for the enthusiast market to give up on Apple. I think they probably sold a fair amount of PCs today.

Also, I know it's personal preference but man is that thing ugly. Can Ive stop trying to make every Apple product look like a Braun appliance from the 60s and 70s?
    hahaha... good one.  you forgot the /s, some folks might think that steaming pile of bs is serious.  The Mac for the 'enthusiast'  ROFL.
    roundaboutnowdocno42chasmuniscapehammeroftruthwatto_cobracityguide
  • Reply 120 of 420
    Begs the question: What happens if someone pops in a pair of NVIDIA Titan RTX GPUs into this chrome monstrosity? Will Apple allow NVIDIA graphics drivers to live in their AMD centric world? If not, that kind of puts a damper on future upgradability. RTX hardware ray traces six times faster than non-RTX GPUs, all other things being equal.
    cityguide