HomeKit will securely store videos in iCloud, explicit router support coming

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2020
Apple is finally adding an oft-requested feature from smart home users with iOS 13 -- securely storing HomeKit video in iCloud, as well as privacy additions coming to select routers.

HomeKit security cameras can finally storage recordings in iCloud
HomeKit security cameras can finally storage recordings in iCloud

Storing your home security videos inside of iCloud means that the video is encrypted locally in your home before being sent to Apple's servers where no one -- Apple included -- has access. Apple will give you a 10-day running window for recordings and it will not count towards your iCloud storage limit.

This will be free for a single camera with the 200GB iCloud storage plan and up to five cameras with the 2TB iCloud storage plan.

Cloud recording features
Cloud recording features

At launch, cameras from Logitech, Eufy, and Netatmo will support this cloud storage feature with others being added in the future.

Some of these cameras also transmit your streams up to their own cloud servers, so to help protect streaming, Apple is adding routers to HomeKit. Eero, Linksys, and service providers like Charter Spectrum will be first to include support.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Hey Apple, how about adding the Synology RT2600ac Router?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    This is awesome. I'd been asking why security camera companies couldn't let you use your own cloud storage (rather than their too-expensive monthly subscriptions), and here's the framework for it. Will buy. Would love to see some NAS system get in on the game, so we can use whatever-brand POE cameras, and have the NAS software integrate with HK Video.

HK Router is interesting too. My next non-Apple router (when this Extreme bites the dust) will have HK. Awesome.

lostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    This is awesome. I'd been asking why security camera companies couldn't let you use your own cloud storage (rather than their too-expensive monthly subscriptions), and here's the framework for it. Will buy. Would love to see some NAS system get in on the game, so we can use whatever-brand POE cameras, and have the NAS software integrate with HK Video. 

POE camera support would be great. I already have 5 POE camera, but there are no NVRs with a decent UX. I have been planning to turn an old Mac Mini into an NVR, but if it is built into the router that would be better. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    jvmb said:

POE camera support would be great. I already have 5 POE camera, but there are no NVRs with a decent UX. I have been planning to turn an old Mac Mini into an NVR, but if it is built into the router that would be better. 
    I'm looking to use this Synology NAS as a NVR:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N1BYWX/

It has a NAS module for POE security cameras. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I and my friends whose homes I setup with cameras will love this. I’m thrilled. Also it may cause those companies to get more competitive on pricing since apple gives 10 free storage days. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Not clear whether Homekit will be supporting new routers or also adding support to existing ones. I ask as I'm running several Linksys Velops.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Even more reason why I wish Apple re-introduces the Airport routers with all current tech and Homekit.   I have an elaborate 17-camera setup (over two properties) that I would love to upgrade and incorporate Homekit.  I still use Apple's Airport routers and it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever go back to the shit-routers that are Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc... The Airport routers are so ridiculously reliable, it has relieved a lot of stress compared with maintaining that cheap junk that the competitors offer.
    tokyojimuAppleExposedlostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Great move!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I was SO hoping Craig was going to end this segment with the reintroduction of an Apple made router! I don’t think I’ll be migrating to any of the brands noted so hoping more will be coming along later.
    tokyojimuAppleExposedlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I have 4 Eufy cameras so that's great news for me. I hope Ring get on board although unlikely as they make bank through subscriptions.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    I'm looking to use this Synology NAS as a NVR:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N1BYWX/

It has a NAS module for POE security cameras. 

I am considering getting the symbology NAS or installing Security Spy on an old Mac Mini. Both should be better than Hikvision.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Oooh, I wonder if Google, which charges for storage on its Nest cameras, will support this. 

:D 
    AppleExposedFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    mobird said:
    Apple please add these vendors. 

Ubiquiti/ Amplifi 
    Synology MR2200 
    Plume based routers 
    Luxul 
    Ruckus 

Good start.  I hope more vendors get excited and add support. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Will the Logi Circle 2 Cameras that I bought 3 days ago be able to do this, perhaps with a firmware upgrade, or will I need to return them and buy a new model that supports HomeKit Secure Video? I opened a ticket with Logitech. If they reply I will tell you here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mobird said:

Ubiquiti/ Amplifi 
    Synology MR2200 
    Plume based routers 
    Luxul 
    Ruckus 

Once it reaches the point where average customers are asking salespeople "which of these routers is Apple HomeKit compatible?" then routers will all get that feature. That will probably take a year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Although the Apple slide said "ten day recording" I listened carefully to the presentation and Craig said "storage of ten days of clips will be included in your existing iCloud account and it won't count against your storage." By using the words "clips" is apparently means that that ten days is for video motion occurrences only. That's a lot better than nothing but it is a little disappointing. Hopefully we can control the amount of motion required to generate a clip. Details are not yet clear. The AppleInsider article text says "ten days of running recording" but I think that's a big mistake. Based on Craig's words, it's ten free days of clips created by motion detection.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Apple have announced a new HomeKit feature which is to provide 'free' video recording to iCloud for compatible security cameras. This is great news on the surface. The recordings are stored for 10 days, encrypted so only you can access them and do not count towards your storage limit.

There is however a massive catch. The above might lead you to believe you can simply link it to your existing (free) iCloud account. After all if it does not count towards your storage limit then the fact your free account only has a 5GB allowance is irrelevant.

Unfortunately the 'small print' says that you need a paid for 200GB account to allow using a single camera and a 2TB account in order to support five cameras. In other words you do have to pay for this feature.

Whats worse is that it is not clear what happens if you have more than five cameras. I have already five (presumably) compatible cameras in that they support HomeKit and I already have plans that would involve adding another four cameras. How much would this cost me? The biggest possible plan is the 2TB one which Apple says only supports five cameras. This alone is going to cost me £6.99 a month aka $9.99 a month at least. This is if anything more expensive than the plans for non-HomeKit cameras.

As a comparison Amazon's Ring offers plans for £2.50 for a single camera or £8.00 for unlimited cameras both with 30 days of storage. (Three times as long as Apple's offering.)

Clearly Apple's Secure Video feature is not free. Apple may have strayed sufficiently beyond an honest description here to be guilty of breaking the law in terms of false advertising, or bait and switch sales tactics.

:(

Apple's charging for iCloud has always been 'irrational' in that even if you have paid the Apple tax for multiple Apple devices you do not qualify for more storage which makes trying to backup multiple iPhones and iPads difficult unless you pay yet more.

Now I am not saying Apple should simply make this feature completely and really free although that would obviously be welcome but I do feel they need to revise it to be a lot more honest. I would propose that they first stop trying to con people by saying it is free - clearly it is not and claiming it is free as mentioned could be breaking the law. Secondly they should revise the offerings, they should have say a basic level supporting one camera - presumably at the 50GB iCloud fee level, a middle level supporting between two and five cameras at the 200GB level, and an unlimited number of cameras at the 2TB level.

This would then be fair, honest and competitive compared to other brands whilst still providing I believe a similar level of revenue to Apple.

Note: Compatible cameras would not only include outdoor cameras but the new HomeKit compatible smart doorbells (with cameras) and of course indoor cameras. Hence it is much easier than Apple perhaps considered to exceed a total of five cameras.
    gatorguyAppleExposed
  • Reply 18 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Why anyone would use Amazon or something else after this announcement is beyond me.

mobird said:

Isn't that up to the manufacturer and not Apple?

mobird said:

Ubiquiti/ Amplifi 
    Synology MR2200 
    Plume based routers 
    Luxul 
    Ruckus 

Once it reaches the point where average customers are asking salespeople "which of these routers is Apple HomeKit compatible?" then routers will all get that feature. That will probably take a year.

"Homekit" is such a terrible name though, that should have been the developer API name. "Apple Home" should be the consumer name.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19

<snip>
    Clearly Apple's Secure Video feature is not free. Apple may have strayed sufficiently beyond an honest description here to be guilty of breaking the law in terms of false advertising, or bait and switch sales tactics.

:(

Apple's charging for iCloud has always been 'irrational' in that even if you have paid the Apple tax for multiple Apple devices you do not qualify for more storage which makes trying to backup multiple iPhones and iPads difficult unless you pay yet more.

Now I am not saying Apple should simply make this feature completely and really free although that would obviously be welcome but I do feel they need to revise it to be a lot more honest. I would propose that they first stop trying to con people by saying it is free - clearly it is not and claiming it is free as mentioned could be breaking the law. Secondly they should revise the offerings, they should have say a basic level supporting one camera - presumably at the 50GB iCloud fee level, a middle level supporting between two and five cameras at the 200GB level, and an unlimited number of cameras at the 2TB level.

This would then be fair, honest and competitive compared to other brands whilst still providing I believe a similar level of revenue to Apple.

Note: Compatible cameras would not only include outdoor cameras but the new HomeKit compatible smart doorbells (with cameras) and of course indoor cameras. Hence it is much easier than Apple perhaps considered to exceed a total of five cameras.
    I sincerely doubt Apple will be found guilty of false advertising or a bait and switch practice.

In my opinion (and we have very little detail yet about how the system is proposed to work) Apple is promoting this as "Hey, if you already have iCloud you'll be pleased to know that you can store some of your security camera footage there without an extra fee." Yes, there is a lack of detail about the need to have a paid iCloud storage tier IN APPLE'S INITIAL STATEMENT, but anyone who is interested in finding out more can evidently do so. Requiring anyone to include ALL PERTINENT DETAILS in each and every communication about their product or service is a fool's errand: people can reasonably disagree about what should be classified as pertinent without harm to either party, and provided the full details are made available through written materials it's acceptable to provide a summary - especially when introducing something new.

If Apple were to stipulate the details of each new offering at great length then the keynote would have been substantially longer than its already copious 2:18 (according to the Apple Events podcast).

Further, it looks to me like Apple is positioning this service to be an additional reason to pay for iCloud storage, rather than being the only reason to buy extra iCloud space. If you only pay for iCloud because you want the video storage, then I'm sure Apple will take your money, but they also offer their sync service as part of that fee, the ability to store arbitrary data as part of that fee, and the ability to share access to "family" members as part of that fee. Apple has a history of deciding what they can offer (whether hardware or software/services), delivering a solid first version, and then refining and extending that offering to make it appealing to a wider market. So I see the ability to store HomeKit video in iCloud as another potential benefit to the iCloud service. Maybe one day they'll add one more straw to break my resistance to paying for it. :smile: 

lostkiwiwatto_cobra