First look: Mac Pro and Apple Pro Display XDR [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    arthurbaarthurba Posts: 154member
    When?  When can we order and when does it ship?   Article would be much improved if it answered those kinda basic questions - even if it said “not yet available to order, and no shipping date yet from the company”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 134
    It’s here!!! FINALLY!!! 

Initial thoughts on the design are that it’s a bit odd and I preferred the original look. But I’m sure that will pass. 

Who cares!!! 

Its finally here and has PCI!!!

Well done Apple for going back. It was the right thing to do
    Radio_Signaleriamjhmitchelljdwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 134
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Who wrote this?!? It's rife with errors.

- Price of the Mac is wrong (correct start price is $5999).
    - Max RAM is 1.5TB, not 2TB. (Tells us something interesting about the Xeons being used, they're the first M series)
    - Description of the MPX is inaccurate and/or speculative. Each one takes up two double-wide slots, two will take four slots. We don't yet know if the infinity fabric will link the cards (you'd think so but I see no evidence).
    - Pro display nano-etching is an option, for $1k more.
    - "84GB per second of data migration"?? Who thinks up these things?
    - "The display does come with a basic stand." Really? You could be right about this, but I've seen no evidence of this. Source?

The above graphic is from Apple's specs on the Mac Pro at Apple.com

MPX description, 84GB per second figure, stand, infinity fabric: from Apple at WWDC.

I'm not sure where you got the $4999 figure from for the Mac Pro. The text says $5999, but I suppose an earlier version could have said $4999. The Nano-etched version is spelled out as $1000 more in the text already, and I know that's from the first draft.
    edited June 2019 fastasleepn2itivguyRadio_Signalpscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 134

arthurba said:
    When?  When can we order and when does it ship?   Article would be much improved if it answered those kinda basic questions - even if it said “not yet available to order, and no shipping date yet from the company”.
    We've said this in two other pieces already. "The Fall" says Apple.
    edited June 2019 n2itivguyarthurbaRadio_Signalwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 25 of 134
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    ElCapitan said:
    The display is a design only an ex-Compaq employee could love! It is hideous. 
    LOL, the haters coming out of the woodwork are ridiculous. This machine is amazing. 
    fastasleepMisterKitn2itivguydecoderringRadio_Signalpscooter63thtwilliamlondonuniscapewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 134
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    jcc said:
    So ugly!!! Ugh! Clearly Ive is out to lunch. Plus with all the departures of his team recently have all contributed to this horrendous design. 
    jcc said:
    wlym said:
    I LOVE the design!
    You have no taste...
    Nor do you.

What's funny is on other threads people said they loved the design and were glad Ive didn't work on it. As if we knew.
    fastasleeproundaboutnowJWSCRadio_Signalpscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 27 of 134
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    It’s hilarious to read how misunderstood this product is. 
    The best post yet. I mean, it’s a “pro” machine. You’re going to pay a premium for it. If don’t like the look of it, store it somewhere where it’s hidden from view. Otherwise, stop your whining, and wait till the product comes out, or get a PC—hell, they’re so ugly they would scare a buzzard off a shit wagon.

How many of you REALLY NEED this machine, really?
    fastasleepn2itivguyRadio_Signalpscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 134
    Who wrote this?!? It's rife with errors.

- Price of the Mac is wrong (correct start price is $5999).
    - Max RAM is 1.5TB, not 2TB. (Tells us something interesting about the Xeons being used, they're the first M series)
    - Description of the MPX is inaccurate and/or speculative. Each one takes up two double-wide slots, two will take four slots. We don't yet know if the infinity fabric will link the cards (you'd think so but I see no evidence).
    - Pro display nano-etching is an option, for $1k more.
    - "84GB per second of data migration"?? Who thinks up these things?
    - "The display does come with a basic stand." Really? You could be right about this, but I've seen no evidence of this. Source?
    [graphic showing 2TB RAM]

The above graphic is from Apple's specs on the Mac Pro at Apple.com

MPX description, 84GB per second figure, stand, infinity fabric: from Apple at WWDC.

I'm not sure where you got the $4999 figure from for the Mac Pro. The text says $5999, but I suppose an earlier version could have said $4999. The Nano-etched version is spelled out as $1000 more in the text already, and I know that's from the first draft.
    Thank you.

FYI, 1.5TB was listed by multiple sources. I *thought* by Apple as well, though I could be wrong. Your graphic is probably the last word on this, but let's see if it stands. If it does that means we're getting the latest generation chip, which is interesting - 1.5 would have meant the first gen chips.

About MPX/84GB, I was objecting to use of the phrase "data migration". It's just silly.

The $4999 figure was indeed in the version of your article that I read. Double-checked it before posting.

Still curious about the stand, found no mention of it yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 134
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    Apple really should have gone back to the cheese grater design which was more elegant than this Ive designed piece of technology. Wheels are a great idea! The monitor is way overpriced. The pro stand's price is insane as well.I feel there is going to be problems with that stand because of that connection. It resembles the old flower pod designed iMac from years ago. The monitor arm on that model had some issues. I do not trust the design of that "pro" stand. I think the computer may sell well despite it is a bit over priced  but the monitor is really overpriced. I bought a 43" LG 4K monitor for $600 and it is absolutely beautiful. The Sony monitor Apple used as a price justification for the new display had an incorrect price of $43,000. It goes for $28,000. That is a broadcast quality monitor with many functions. Apple lied as always. I am greatly disappointed with the quality and prices of their products. I wasted 2 hours of my time watching the WWDC. Apple really is out of touch with it's customers.
    IreneWxixowilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 134
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    The design is Strange..... but we will get used to it.
    Does anybody have information on how many ssds we can put in there? Is it really only one slotted? It does not have any 3.5 drive slots right? Why is it as huge as my old 5,1 Mac Pro, when it does not use the space for drives?
    3.5" drive slots? L-O-L.

It's this big because it has 8 PCIe slots. There are two tiny storage slots for these:

Otherwise I guess storage would be either PCI storage cards or Thunderbolt 3.

the display is beautiful though, but why isn’t it adjustable in the height?!
    are you one hundred percent sure that the normal Stand comes with it? Everybody laughed at the price of 999$. It is really ridiculous.

The Pro Stand has adjustable height, tilt, and rotation. Yeah, it's expensive but also looks like a nicely engineered thing at least. 
    https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

I guess I'm most curious what the included stand looks and functions like to make the Pro Stand worthwhile for more than a small number of people who won't be like just adjusting height by throwing another ream of copier paper underneath it. :D

edited June 2019 Radio_Signalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 134
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    But again they short us on USB and Thunderbolt ports.   Why?  My 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro has 4 USB and 4 Thunderbolt ports.  More than this "new" model
    edited June 2019 xixowatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 134
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I've read the monitor comes with no stand. The $199 VESA adapter or Apple's $999 stand will be a necessary add-on... unless/until a 3rd party comes up with a stand that doesn't require the VESA adapter or a VESA adapter that's cheaper (is that possible?/s)
    edited June 2019 dysamoriawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 134
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    2 TB RAM may be the theoretical maximum, but 1.5 TB will be the practical maximum. With 12 DIMM slots, 1.5 TB will be achieved with 128 GB DIMMs.  To reach 2 TB, 196 GB DIMMs would be needed, which will be rare/nonexistent.
    edited June 2019 chemengin1williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 134
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    dougd said:
    But again they short us on USB and Thunderbolt ports.   Why?  My 2013 Trash Can Mac Pro has 4 USB and 4 Thunderbolt ports.  More than this "new" model
    It has four TB3 ports. Both of the Vega GPU MPX modules offer four more TB3 ports each. Even if you configure the max 12 TB3 ports, you can still add more in the remaining PCIe slots. Is that not enough for you?
    n2itivguyRadio_SignalStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 134
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    ...and at $200 is the vesa adapter both questionable in need (vs four threaded holes) and more than the cost of many stands and arms ? There are four high capacity Ergotron arms in this studio and they were all less than $200 US and came with multiple adapter plates, albeit one must turn (undo) four knurled knobs to detach... Would magnetic attachment be better as a BTO option or kit vs all in ?
    I’m sure they went with the best VESA adaptor possible, because I would be a huge problem for this $5000 display to find its way to the ground. 
    Radio_Signalpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 134
    are you sure it comes with a stand.  apple website says otherwise. 
    dysamoriachemengin1
  • Reply 37 of 134
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Apple’s description of how the lattice pattern works sounds compelling, but I’m having trouble getting past the way it looks. It’s a great machine and I really wanna love everything about it, but man, them holes is ugly.

Overall I’m generally impressed, though. I wish I could afford one!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 134
    cpsro said:
    I've read the monitor comes with no stand. The $199 VESA adapter or Apple's $999 stand will be a necessary add-on... unless/until a 3rd party comes up with a stand that doesn't require the VESA adapter or a VESA adapter that's cheaper (is that possible?/s)
    Apple has insisted to us on multiple occasions at WWDC that it comes with a "basic" stand. If incorrect, it wouldn't be the first time that we've had bad info at the show, though.
    fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamoseamedysamoriapscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 39 of 134
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    ...does anyone actually like the industrial design...?
    I'm not crazy about it, but maybe it is more about function than form in this case? Seems so for airflow on the tower, and then they tried to match it on the monitor. The monitor/stand are kind of hideous, IMO, but again, they look functionally pretty great. But, it's just going to sit under desks and tables anyway, so who cares how it looks (the tower, not the monitor). That's why the MP-cylinder was a bit of a joke to the pro crowd, as they don't care that it looks like artwork on top of the desk.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 134
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    cgWerks said:
    ...does anyone actually like the industrial design...?
    I'm not crazy about it, but maybe it is more about function than form in this case? Seems so for airflow on the tower, and then they tried to match it on the monitor. The monitor/stand are kind of hideous, IMO, but again, they look functionally pretty great. But, it's just going to sit under desks and tables anyway, so who cares how it looks (the tower, not the monitor). That's why the MP-cylinder was a bit of a joke to the pro crowd, as they don't care that it looks like artwork on top of the desk.
    That was the gist of a conversation I had today about the appearance of the Mac Pro. It’s ugly, but who cares? Does it do the job?

People, including me, complain when Apple compromises performance for aesthetics, so despite not liking the appearance of the thing, I won’t hold its looks against it.
    cgWerkswatto_cobrajony0