The Apple Pro Display XDR brings 6K to the Mac for $4999

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jasenj1 said:
    There was an audible groan in the room when they announced the $999 stand. Devs recognize a Pro display costs Pro money, but that much for a stand? Too much.
    It has a VESA mount, so there are plenty of alternatives.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    mretondomretondo Posts: 92member
    netrox said:
    But there is a display offering for that for $39K.... and yet we have a bunch of people whining about the $5K Apple display that exceeds the specs of $39K display?!?! Amateurs. 
    The people complaining about the price don't know what a Reference monitor is. They're used by very few companies that for example transfer a movie to Blu-Ray and have to make sure colors are exact. Reference monitors are usually liquid cooled because of the high NITS they can produce. Some can generate up to 4000 or 10,000 nits for short bursts. I don't know of any Reference monitors that sell for $4000. Apple probably only expects to sell a few thousand of them. This is not a display for consumers or even developers.
    tmaychiaStrangeDaysEsquireCatsAppleExposedwatto_cobrarlboston
  • Reply 23 of 50
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    add 6 of there to new full loaded pro mac and you got yourself a $50K supper computer
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    If you need a reference grade monitor and if this is on a par with displays from Sony and Dolby which cost in excess of $40,000 then Apple will sell a bucketload of them.  Most users will be fine with 4K displays from Eizo etc though
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 50
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    You can buy a VESA mount.

I really have no idea who the $1000 stand is aimed at? And the perception factor is way off - if Apple wanted to reinforce the opinion that they are an overpriced, luxury brand for people with more money than sense, this stand will do it.

P.S. Perhaps for those in the know in the niche that use this sort of monitor a $1000 stand is reasonable. But the to the ignorant masses it seems laughably overpriced.
    edited June 2019 cogitodexterdysamoriaCarnagecaladanian
  • Reply 26 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    oseame said:
    $999 is insane for the stand. VESA mount it is then...
    You'll think twice once you see it in action.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting monitor but charging $1000 extra for a stand is a real dick move on Apples part.   Sadly it looks like the marketing crew at Apple still hasn’t come to terms with the reality of the business world outside of their little bit of California.  
    It comes with a stand. This is the upgrade option.
    SpamSandwichAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    5-6 thousand for the monitor, another thousand just for the stand! This is crazy expensive, even for Apple!
    dysamoriacaladanian
  • Reply 29 of 50
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    not_anton said:
    It is called iMac 27", a full computer at half the price of that display. Perfect developer machine if you don't need graphic professionals' gimmicks and whistles.
    I know... but I am looking to buy the Mac Pro.... and would love to have a little love on the screen side... but sadly I guess I will need to attach my horrible LG display to the Mac Pro as well.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    maestro64 said:
    add 6 of there to new full loaded pro mac and you got yourself a $50K supper computer
    Yes you could dine out on owning one for years
  • Reply 31 of 50
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    jasenj1 said:
    There was an audible groan in the room when they announced the $999 stand. Devs recognize a Pro display costs Pro money, but that much for a stand? Too much.
    But that VESA mount is $200!!! Two hundred bucks for a magnet with bolt holes is egregious!

I don’t travel in the kind of circles that use monitors of this spec so I have no basis for a value comparison there. I have, however, recently researched high-quality arms, stands, and mounts, and consider Apple’s pricing of the stand and adapter insulting. It says Apple thinks I’m too stupid to know when I’m being ripped off.
    dysamoriaCarnagecaladanian
  • Reply 32 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    jasenj1 said:
    You can buy a VESA mount.

I really have no idea who the $1000 stand is aimed at? And the perception factor is way off - if Apple wanted to reinforce the opinion that they are an overpriced, luxury brand for people with more money than sense, this stand will do it.

P.S. Perhaps for those in the know in the niche that use this sort of monitor a $1000 stand is reasonable. But the to the ignorant masses it seems laughably overpriced.
    Well, you got one part right. This sort of equipment is not for you.
    EsquireCatsSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

jasenj1 said:
    But that VESA mount is $200!!! Two hundred bucks for a magnet with bolt holes is egregious!

I don’t travel in the kind of circles that use monitors of this spec so I have no basis for a value comparison there. I have, however, recently researched high-quality arms, stands, and mounts, and consider Apple’s pricing of the stand and adapter insulting. It says Apple thinks I’m too stupid to know when I’m being ripped off.
    Nope, it just says this isn't for you. You'll be fine with a third party monitor, you don't need a reference monitor.
    EsquireCatsSpamSandwichAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 50

jasenj1 said:

Nope, it just says this isn't for you. You'll be fine with a third party monitor, you don't need a reference monitor.
    I’m not talking about the monitor.  I’m talking about Apple’s continued practice of pricing accessories and upgrades so high as to be infuriating and a deterrent to acquiring core products. I just bought two high-end display mounts for around $400 each. I refuse to believe Apple’s stand is more than twice as good.

It’s like Apple’s computers. I love the latest MBP, but the cost to upgrade the RAM and storage to usable levels is so high it ruins my device lust and just makes me angry at Apple. I really wish they would rethink that strategy.
    80s_Apple_Guymuthuk_vanalingamdysamoriachemengin1Carnagecaladanian
  • Reply 35 of 50
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member

jasenj1 said:

I’m not talking about the monitor.  I’m talking about Apple’s continued practice of pricing accessories and upgrades so high as to be infuriating and a deterrent to acquiring core products. I just bought two high-end display mounts for around $400 each. I refuse to believe Apple’s stand is more than twice as good.

It’s like Apple’s computers. I love the latest MBP, but the cost to upgrade the RAM and storage to usable levels is so high it ruins my device lust and just makes me angry at Apple. I really wish they would rethink that strategy.
    Then take your “Good Enough” attitude and GTFO.  Apple caters to a market with money. They put in marketable efficiencies that to the general public aren’t obvious. Thus the general public boohoos the premium pricing that in actuality is cheaper when ticking the same boxes of multiple other products slapped together in a hideous monstrosity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    There were some pretty obvious and audible less-than-impressed reactions to the price of the stand from the audience - clearly they expected it to be included in the price of the monitor and to be told that you have to pay extra - for either the stand or the VESA adaptor as its alternative seems like something of a slap in the face. I don't suppose Apple would have expected that reaction from what would otherwise be expected to be die-hard fans.

Personally 32" isn't remotely big enough for that price - I would have preferred a screen at least 43" and preferably curved for the viewer to sit in the sweet spot to make it really immersive. Certainly the resolution of the screen is utterly pointless at that small size - nobody is ever going to be able to make full use of it: nobody's eyes are that good.

I'm going to stick with my dual 4K 43" setup - together they cost about £1500. Whether I buy the Mac Pro itself is down to budget, although I probably will as it definitely has the grunt to do what I need it to do (my 2013 Mac Pro is now running out of steam, 5 years on). The price of the computer is reasonable considering how long it will likely last, but the screens... as beautiful as the engineering is, I couldn't possibly use them.
    Not to be dismissive of your desires, but the features you're requesting are serviced by consumer and "semi-fessional" display options available in the market (and as you've rightly noted these are much much cheaper). Your needs are likely shared by the developer-heavy attendees who gasped at the pricing: they're just not familiar with this level of display or the rationale in spending upwards of 50k on a monitor. The fact that this display can replace far more costly solutions at a fraction of the cost is ground breaking, it will enable smaller film producers access to technology that was simply too costly to own themselves (and thus reducing the time pressures associated with renting studio time or equipment = better creative output.) The wheels on the mac pro and ease of remounting this display also lend heavily into the multi-user and multi-environment workflows that these devices service.

I fully anticipate most Mac Pro users to be using a 3rd party display, and unfortunately don't anticipate that Apple will also produce a basic display for those that merely seek the simplicity of keeping their primary hardware under one brand.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Looks interesting. I like that it could simplify my setup going from two monitors to use just one. The stand looks heavy, weights 26lbs alone. I try to pass on anything heavy as I seemed to be moving around between apartments every few years. But the monitor might be a thing of beauty. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

jasenj1 said:

Come on. Apple is and has always been for the price insensitive. For those focused wholly on price there are garbage PC boxes.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    Am I the only one who's wondering which "Thunderbolt 3 hosts" it's actually compatible with?

ANY? That would mean that it has an internal graphics card. But it doesn't look like it (too thin). 

So then what are the actual technical requirements for the graphics card of the host?
    tenthousandthingscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50
    dedgecko said:

jasenj1 said:

Then take your “Good Enough” attitude and GTFO.  Apple caters to a market with money. They put in marketable efficiencies that to the general public aren’t obvious. Thus the general public boohoos the premium pricing that in actuality is cheaper when ticking the same boxes of multiple other products slapped together in a hideous monstrosity. 
    The snobbery in that post is palpable.

It is not a “good enough attitude” to suggest that charging two to three times as much as other vendors for RAM is a cash grab. Apple is not doubling the value of the memory chips.

jasenj1 said:

Come on. Apple is and has always been for the price insensitive. For those focused wholly on price there are garbage PC boxes.
    Fair enough, and I expect to pay more for an Apple product than a generic alternative that lacks the conveniences and intangible benefits of Apple gear. The question, as always, is HOW MUCH more?

For a year or two it seemed like maybe Apple was reigning in the upgrade gouging. Now it seems like it’s worse than ever.
    dysamoriachemengin1caladanian